Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow to No reverse and back again

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:20 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Slow to No reverse and back again

Hey just looking for a little info. I have a 95 F150 2wd with a 5.0 auto. My transmission has been engaging into reverse kind of slowly for some time, and going into forward isn't always quick either. Just that reverse is slower than forward. Over the weekend, I was backing up on my property slightly uphill and the transmission just totally disengaged and rolled forward, as if it was in neutral. Shifter was in reverse, I thought maybe I didn't have it all the way in reverse from neutral, but it was. I thought it was game over. I put it in neutral and back into reverse and it worked fine, didn't kick out again. All gears work as normal, no slipping noticed.
All that said, whats the diagnosis..... Any suggestions? I'm not sure if I should start sourcing a transmission or is there any fix I can attempt? Not sure I dare do a fluid/filter swap. I hear horror stories about doing that on old stuff. For all I know this has never had a tranny service in its life.
This rig is my daily driver and on top of that I am about to start hauling demo debris and then lumber and supplies with it for an addition we are building on our house. I'm considering picking up another truck just in case this old girl bites the big one right in the middle of it all. I am within a week or two of getting this home project started.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 AM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
If you have the E40D transmission (20 pan bolts) your engine and transmission are electronically controlled. I suggest you run your diagnostic codes before anything else to see if you can get a code to help determine the issue. You will run Key ON Engine OFF and Key ON ENGINE RUNNING test. This is assuming you have checked fluid for proper level and condition. If you need code help let us know. Sandy

Old 06-25-2019, 03:10 PM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
I'll have to check the codes. I do have a code scanner for this truck.
I haven't had to add any fluid in ages. Several times I checked it everything was good. Today I checked and had to add about half a quart. I was surprised it was low. Reverse is still slow to engage.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:03 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
It has been a busy few days so I haven't messed with the truck. I have been driving it every day though. Transmission seems to be working fine. Still a delay engaging reverse. I will see if there are any codes today. I have an OBD-I code scanner, never used it. Good time to see how it works. I'll post results once I run the scan tool on it.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:23 AM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by fuelsmoke1
It has been a busy few days so I haven't messed with the truck. I have been driving it every day though. Transmission seems to be working fine. Still a delay engaging reverse. I will see if there are any codes today. I have an OBD-I code scanner, never used it. Good time to see how it works. I'll post results once I run the scan tool on it.
Your truck should be at operating temperature when you do your tests.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:27 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
OK thanks, I didn't know that!

Old 06-29-2019, 12:40 PM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
it should be at operating temp and in park idling, level, when you check your fluid level also just in case you didn't know.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:12 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
I did know that! I didn't get my codes checked yet. The scanner I bought several months ago has been sitting in the box, unopened. I got it out yesterday, ready to use and discovered that it needs batteries. I thought it would run off the truck power being it is just a small handheld thing. As usual, we have all sizes of batteries except the AA that this uses. I have to run down to the store today and pick up a pack of batteries and I'll be good to go.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:54 PM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
I ran the KOEO and KOER tests. No codes!
I've had no other issues with the trans aside from it taking a few seconds to engage reverse. Usually it takes a 3 count, maybe 4 and it's in. I haven't had it disengage like it did last weekend. I did have to add fluid that one time, about 1 pint. Maybe just being that low plus the angle I was at was enough for it to lose fluid for a second? I guess for now I'm just going to keep an eye on the fluid and drive it like I stole it!
When it's ready I'm sure it will have no problem letting me know! I've never owned a shy Ford!

Old 08-08-2019, 05:20 PM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
Update- so my forward and reverse has continued to engage kind of delayed. Like 5 seconds sometimes. But I was a little low on fluid a while back. Topped it off and still delayed but no other issues.
I was traveling about 35mph on a curve going slightly uphill and the transmission disengaged as if the tires spun out, I let off the gas and hit it again and off we go.
I discovered the fluid is low again. I've driven this truck over 20,000 miles and only added to the transmission once just a short time ago. Now it's really low already. Climbed under the truck and sure enough the front seal is leaking.
Now I'm not sure how to handle this. Easy enough to drop the trans and replace the seal. But then I get to thinking maybe the bushing for the converter is also worn and could cause another seal leak.
If like to slap a 5 spd manual in it but I don't have time right now to get into all of that. For saving time fixing what's there is the best option.
So I don't know much about auto transmissions. Should I consider changing the pump in front? I have 140,000 miles, probably never had a tranny service. It hasn't ever really towed anything or done much hard work so it's been fairly light use for a truck. But I'm concerned that if I replace the front pump and seal, and new filter and all fluid that it will have other issues after I get it together with new fluid. Just heard horror stories of people doing a tranny flush and have gears go out.
I'm not buying a new or rebuilt tranny. It's fix this one or not.
Anyone have any thoughts? I could probably get away with just putting new front seal in it and filter kit. I'm not sure if I want to get a full rebuild kit while it's out. Kind of tossing around what I should do. I'm capable of rebuilding it, but not sure how necessary that is. If I can put a couple hundred bucks into it and it's reliable then I'd go for that. If I have to go new trans cost it's getting converted to a 5 spd. I'd prefer that angle but time is a problem right now.