Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Low pressure oil pump went oopsie!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:15 AM
calvinhg
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Low pressure oil pump went oopsie!

(Note: I didn't work on this truck up until the cab off work so my memory is holy.)

So we got this truck at the shop that had a crank no start at the shop. Had been rebuilt about 3 years ago. Not the HPOP, as it had been replaced back then, and if you poured oil in the little fill hole up top it would start and run until it ran out. David (the other guy at the shop) took the front cover off, and found this:

As you can see, something got in there and dinged the LPOP up pretty bad. So bad it broke the outer ring (is that what you call it?):

So he replaced it, and we tried starting it. Still nothing. Scratched our heads for a while and thought: Well, there still might be that something in there that broke the LPOP in the first place, and the oil pan couldn't be sealed properly in the truck, so we might as well take the engine out and see whats up.

Enter me. My turn to do the work. So I do the thing, pull the cab and all that, finally we get the engine out, and put it on a motor stand so we can turn it around and all. Pull the pan, and first thing we find is this in the pickup tube entrance:

A wrist pin circlip! What the heck is it doing there? The piece missing off it is probably what broke the LPOP.

Anyway, we see what the problem is: when taking off the front cover, David and my boss pulled a little too far, and bent the pickup tube where it connects to the LPOP, so it was sucking in air. Also, the O-ring was folded over.

We then looked for the origin of the circlip, and see the wrist pin out of position in cylinder #1. It grooved the cylinder wall (top view):

So we put a new circlip in, hope that the grooves aren't too bad and get ready to put the engine back together. Cleaned up the block and the head:

Engine on the motor stand:

So now we're waiting for an O-ring for the pickup tube, and maybe a pickup tube too? I'm not sure. Anyway, just wanted to share the story. Lucky we bent that pickup tube, otherwise we would have sent the truck off with that circlip ready to break more stuff up, as well as a cylinder wall being grooved to heck!

Hope y'all liked the post.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:40 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Great story and pics, thanks!

Gonna do the oil pan proper style? Upside down etc?

Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 AM
calvinhg
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Great story and pics, thanks!

Gonna do the oil pan proper style? Upside down etc?
Yes, already done. Scraped off the old silicone, then used a rotary thing to get it nice and clean, and then wiped it down right before putting the silicone down. That oil pan ain't gonna leak anytime soon.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:51 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,920 Likes on 1,932 Posts
Wow cool pics. Thanks for sharing.

Doesn't the oil pickup have a screen to stop large particles from getting to the LPOP?

Old 06-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
You're going to just put it back together with a scored cylinder? I know I'm just a shade tree mechanic but that doesn't sound good to me.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:34 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob

Doesn't the oil pickup have a screen to stop large particles from getting to the LPOP?
The mesh screen on the pick-up is pretty coarse.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
@calvinhg thank you so much for sharing this story with us here at the FTE. We love to see posts of this nature with pictures and brief descriptions. Even if it is just for the shade tree mechanic's (like me) entertainment.

Looking forward to the update where the engine is running again!

Old 06-24-2019, 10:05 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,920 Likes on 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
The mesh screen on the pick-up is pretty coarse.
Ugh. Makes me want to install a pre-LPOP filter now.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:50 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Ugh. Makes me want to install a pre-LPOP filter now.
The circle clip failure is pretty rare. And, the OP mentioned that the engine had been rebuilt, so the circle clip wasn't installed correctly is my thinking.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:15 PM
calvinhg
Mountain Pass

Yes, thankfully, otherwise the whole clip would have gone up. The part that broke off was small enough to go through though. It's about 1/8th inch mesh, I think.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
You're going to just put it back together with a scored cylinder? I know I'm just a shade tree mechanic but that doesn't sound good to me.
Yeah I'm not too sure about that either but my boss said it's not that bad so I guess we'll see! I don't know much more than you, I'm only 20.

Originally Posted by Sous
@calvinhg thank you so much for sharing this story with us here at the FTE. We love to see posts of this nature with pictures and brief descriptions. Even if it is just for the shade tree mechanic's (like me) entertainment.

Engine is back in, cab is back on and we're finalizing the connections. I'll have an update tonight!

See y'all later!

Old 06-24-2019, 06:35 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Man you work fast.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:15 PM
calvinhg
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Man you work fast.
It helps to have power tools! I don't have any yet but my boss and David lend me theirs until I get some. They ain't cheap!

About getting the engine running... We ran into two problems so far: first, there was no power at all. No inside lights, no dinger to say the key was in the ignition... Checked power at the fuse box, everything was grounded. Stared at it for a while, and then switched the weird connector on the starter solenoid and that fixed it. Had it on backwards!

But then fuel starts spilling all over the ground. A fuel line sprung a leak so we need to fix it:

It's from the side we had the head off, so I'm guessing I disturbed it enough to get it to leak. As you can see there was a little bend in it so I'll have to bend the line to make it work, hopefully it don't break.
Also was about to leak from another spot:

So yea we ain't done... Not looking forward to putting that line back in either. I guess we'll have to wait till tomorrow!

Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Nah, you didnt do anything wrong. Its a known problem. Put a piece of fuel line over it and resecure with P-clamp

Old 06-24-2019, 11:53 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous

Sounds like a commercial for FTE...LOL

Old 06-24-2019, 11:55 PM
calvinhg
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Nah, you didnt do anything wrong. Its a known problem. Put a piece of fuel line over it and resecure with P-clamp
Just normal rubber fuel line? I don't know about that, cuz it's high pressure... Then again you prolly know more than me. We're planning on using those things you see in the bottom left corner of the first pic. Just don't have the right size atm.

Quick Reply: Low pressure oil pump went oopsie!