Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

is there a way to test the Duraspark module?

Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 PM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
is there a way to test the Duraspark module?

Coming home today from a truck show, Ran great getting there, but when driving home, I got about 1 mile from the show and suffered a complete ignition shut down.
No spitting, no sputtering, no loss O' power. just driving then dead.

Pulled to the side of the road, And all she did was crank, crank, crank. All electrical worked.
Luckily, Stupid me, years back installed a Duraspark Ignition module "sandwich" under the hood. (one on top of another).
Unplug wires from No1. module, plug in to #2 module.
Fired right up and on my way.....
IS there a test protocol to check the "dead" module?
Thanks
Reamer

Old 06-24-2019, 01:02 AM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by reamer View Post
Is there a test protocol to check the "dead" module?
The easiest test method I could think of is to first plug in a good module and make sure the truck runs properly. Then, without making any other changes, swap in the suspect module and see how the engine behaves. Once again without making any other changes, swap back to the previous known-good module.

Kinda sounds like youve already done most of that. Id try that suspect module again in case of some weird coincidence, such as an overheated coil that cooled off just enough while you were checking under the hood.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:19 AM
82_F100_300Six
Posting Guru
82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.
I got very lucky too one time a while back simply by having an extra on board. I really didnt think to try it until I had the hood up and saw my clear fuel filter full of fuel.
My truck did not shut down however. It simply would start missing horribly past 2nd gear bogging down and grinding to a halt.
I used to think that those modules were either good or completely dead but I do not believe that now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.