Notices

5.4 3V plug replacement Hot or Cold?

Old 06-29-2019, 12:51 PM
freak007
New User
freak007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
1. Did you ever know the age or mileage on any plug you removed that broke or the head stripped out? Do you think that makes a difference whether plugs break or not?
60-80k, generally wouldn't break. Over 80k was a crap shoot. My personal truck had 130k at first change with 0 broken. I've never stripped a 3v head. 2v heads are a different animal.

2. Did you use a torque wrench on the plugs? If not how did you assure to what value they were installed?
Nope. No torque wrench. On something like a spark plug, tight is tight. I simply used my long handled (12") ratchet and put them in tight. If I was to speculate, I'd say my elbow (calibrated with 20 years of professional wrench turning) "clicks" at 23 ft/lbs (+/- 3). I've never had a 3v plug exit the head. Again, 2v is a different animal, and even with a torque wrench they can, and do blow out. Can you put a torque wrench on them? Sure, but how do you access #4? #2 and #8 aren't much better... How accurate is a torque wrench with swivels and extensions?

Looking forward to your reply---this is a topic often discussed here, at least a million opinions what does and does not work.
Yup, alot of opinions, and alot of different techniques. What I have outlined does *not* follow Ford's recommendations, but it served me well for literally hundreds of plug changes.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:23 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Good info on the mileage and breakage---I've long thought that would be an aspect to consider when changing plugs is being discussed.

Originally Posted by freak007 View Post
Sure, but how do you access #4? #2 and #8 aren't much better... How accurate is a torque wrench with swivels and extensions?
Can't argue with you relating to what torque is applied with swivels in place but extensions no longer than needed for most Modular Mtotors shouldn't affect those readings too much. Since I only work on E-Series I've had a straight shot at the plugs with extensions no longer than 6" with my torque wrench. In my case only #8 is the real challenge but having access to the back of the motor makes this a tad bit easier. Of course I also remove one of the front seats for maximum working room.

I too set them no more than 25 ft/lbs and even on the 2V heads have never had a blow out. Most of my vans are 250K + miles---me changing the plugs around 50K miles, never more than 60k--time dictates that.

Originally Posted by freak007 View Post
Yup, alot of opinions, and alot of different techniques. What I have outlined does *not* follow Ford's recommendations, but it served me well for literally hundreds of plug changes.
Sure---same with me but I do this task pretty much the same way as you do. Its good to have a few different POV's and experiences to consider.

Thanks again Freek007!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.