6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Death of the 6.7l

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 01:29 PM
GDAWG 2012XLT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death of the 6.7l

Haven't been on in a while. I see things are still crazy around here with all the problems with these engines. Weekend before last heading out of town and a strange noise popped up. Sounded like plastic hitting the fan. Turned off the cruse sound went away. Ease in to the throttle no noise. Set the cruse and seconds later sounds like a rod trying to jump out of the engine and missing crazy. A look at all the gauges nothing out of the ordinary. Pull of the side of the road and missing like crazy. shift into natural coast to a stop and turn off engine. After a long heat soak and cool down try and restart and just miss fire and wont take rpm. Sounds like an injector tip come off and hitting hard and running rough. Take to the shop and a week later The number one and five main bearing spun. (pictures to fallow). Talk about getting kicked in the nuts when I got the phone call. Just hit 99k. No delete, No lift. I bought it new and take care of it like my baby. Change oil every 6k, fuel filters every 15k. I don't know what to think about these engines any more. I think ford has made a ticking time bomb. Sorry for the long post.

I am going to replace the turbo and looking for any recommendations on after market. Also looking for a tuner. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:31 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
The 6.7 is far from a ticking time bomb, probably one of the best diesel engines made for pickups. Some do fail and some do have issues, however most do not. Things also seem far from crazy over here, it's more about modifications and maintenance than actual problems. If you're going to replace the turbo, put a 2015+ turbo on the pickup, if you're deleting it, put an SCT w/ custom tunes or EZ Lynk. Stop running Rotella and next time the engine might last a bit longer.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bobcat67
The 6.7 is far from a ticking time bomb, probably one of the best diesel engines made for pickups.
I agree, that's why I bought one!

I see you have an early model 6.7 they made some improvements to the bearings in 2015 I believe. The 6.7l has a tendency to "make oil" during the regen process. It is odd you spun a bearing with 6k oil changes though. I have my oil tested every 5k miles because I'm concerned about the fuel dilution in my oil. So far I've only had one sample come back with abnormally high fuel in the oil. Fully completing a regen appears to keep the fuel dilution in check for my driving conditions.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Alleydog
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GDAWG 2012XLT
Haven't been on in a while. I see things are still crazy around here with all the problems with these engines. Weekend before last heading out of town and a strange noise popped up. Sounded like plastic hitting the fan. Turned off the cruse sound went away. Ease in to the throttle no noise. Set the cruse and seconds later sounds like a rod trying to jump out of the engine and missing crazy. A look at all the gauges nothing out of the ordinary. Pull of the side of the road and missing like crazy. shift into natural coast to a stop and turn off engine. After a long heat soak and cool down try and restart and just miss fire and wont take rpm. Sounds like an injector tip come off and hitting hard and running rough. Take to the shop and a week later The number one and five main bearing spun. (pictures to fallow). Talk about getting kicked in the nuts when I got the phone call. Just hit 99k. No delete, No lift. I bought it new and take care of it like my baby. Change oil every 6k, fuel filters every 15k. I don't know what to think about these engines any more. I think ford has made a ticking time bomb. Sorry for the long post.

I am going to replace the turbo and looking for any recommendations on after market. Also looking for a tuner. any input would be greatly appreciated.
What year PSD do you have?

Old 06-22-2019, 01:36 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
First off I feel your pain my 2016 at 60000 miles or so lost the bottom end the truck started to get louder and louder they couldn't figure out what it was any how to say that the 6.7 is a ticking time bomb is overblown. I replaced the truck with a 2017 which now has 153000 mile no issues whatsoever can't wait for the 2020 hopefully yours was covered under warranty if not I'm really sorry, but just talked to a few other manufacturer owners and you'll see it's not greener on the other side either I have a friend with a brand new Chevy that's in the dealer more than he's driving it constant emission problems and EGR issues just try another one I just chalk it up to bad luck take care

Old 06-22-2019, 02:46 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Stop running Rotella and next time the engine might last a bit longer.
What's wrong with Rotella?

Old 06-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
^^ that's what I'm wondering. I've always run the t6 synthetic in my other diesels. Just about to do the 1st oilt change on the new to me 2017.....

Old 06-22-2019, 06:39 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jav_eee
What's wrong with Rotella?
Little research will reveal the truth behind it. It meets a spec, so it should be good enough, just kind of sad when Walmart Supertech beats it in most tests and is considerably cheaper. I’d run Chevron Delo products over Rotella any day of the week.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:06 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Little research will reveal the truth behind it. It meets a spec, so it should be good enough, just kind of sad when Walmart Supertech beats it in most tests and is considerably cheaper. I’d run Chevron Delo products over Rotella any day of the week.
A little research will reveal that Shell Rotella meets Ford diesel oil specification FORD WSS-M2C171-F1
and Chevron Delo does not.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:23 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
A little research will reveal that Shell Rotella meets Ford diesel oil specification FORD WSS-M2C171-F1
and Chevron Delo does not.
https://go.chevronlubricants.com/rs/...SWUydUk9In0%3D
I’ll eat crow when I’m wrong and currently I am wrong, but Rotella has been getting worse and worse since the introduction of emissions systems, they built an incredible customer base and used to make an incredible oil. It’s probably still ok, I just don’t like it, and I’m allowed to have an opinion.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:21 AM
HST
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Nothing wrong with Rotella that is ridiculous.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:13 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Walmart Supertech beats Rotella??? Bwhahahahahahahahaha waiting for that report

Old 06-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,357 Likes on 4,617 Posts
This made me look into the newer Chevron oil, Delo SD 15w30. While no expert in oil, I'm thinking if this CJ 4 rated oil is good enough for engines pulling loads up to 80k lbs, I'm thinking it would work just fine in the 6.7 Powerstroke.

Like I said, I'm no expert but just thinking about this stuff. I keep coming across stuff on different forums like BITOG.com where they are discussions about the old school 40 weight versus the new school 30 weight views.

I get how if your truck doesn't complete regens often and you don't place in park to stop the regen injection process into the cylinder when you arrive at your destination, then a problem may arise from the fuel cutting viscosity and "adding" oil.

But if you are completing all or the majority of your regends, this shouldn't be an issue. Many people have a hard time getting away from the old school views of the 3k or 5k mile OCI as well as the 40 weight use. Oil is much more advanced now than it used to be.

I believe that one user here uses Motorcraft 10w30 exclusively and tows. From what I remember, he has over 100k miles, is stock and has had no problems. Maybe he will chime in here. Hey Troy, was that you? I can't remember for sure.

I'm just thinking out loud. If truck fleets are switching over to the 30 weight oils, I don't think it should or would be an issue for our 6.7s. Let's get the discussion going.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Delo_WP400SD15w30.PDF (459.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:00 AM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
https://go.chevronlubricants.com/rs/...SWUydUk9In0%3D
I’ll eat crow when I’m wrong and currently I am wrong, but Rotella has been getting worse and worse since the introduction of emissions systems, they built an incredible customer base and used to make an incredible oil. It’s probably still ok, I just don’t like it, and I’m allowed to have an opinion.
A wise man once said that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But they are not entitled to their own facts. Big difference.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 AM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Overkill2
This made me look into the newer Chevron oil, Delo SD 15w30. While no expert in oil, I'm thinking if this CJ 4 rated oil is good enough for engines pulling loads up to 80k lbs, I'm thinking it would work just fine in the 6.7 Powerstroke.

Like I said, I'm no expert but just thinking about this stuff. I keep coming across stuff on different forums like BITOG.com where they are discussions about the old school 40 weight versus the new school 30 weight views.

I get how if your truck doesn't complete regens often and you don't place in park to stop the regen injection process into the cylinder when you arrive at your destination, then a problem may arise from the fuel cutting viscosity and "adding" oil.

But if you are completing all or the majority of your regends, this shouldn't be an issue. Many people have a hard time getting away from the old school views of the 3k or 5k mile OCI as well as the 40 weight use. Oil is much more advanced now than it used to be.

I believe that one user here uses Motorcraft 10w30 exclusively and tows. From what I remember, he has over 100k miles, is stock and has had no problems. Maybe he will chime in here. Hey Troy, was that you? I can't remember for sure.

I'm just thinking out loud. If truck fleets are switching over to the 30 weight oils, I don't think it should or would be an issue for our 6.7s. Let's get the discussion going.
BITOG is where I’ve gotten my info on Rotella, but I’m gonna excuse myself from this one. People don’t like opinions that are not their own in regards to oil.

Quick Reply: Death of the 6.7l