Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cuts out every 3-4 seconds

Old 06-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Dgilling
New User
Dgilling is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine cuts out every 3-4 seconds

I have an intermittent problem. Every once in a while my van will almost rhythmically turn itself off for a half a second or so, and then immediately turning back on. It did it last night as I was coming home, and it makes driving a bit of a challenge. There is a noise that sounds like a relay activating under the dash when this occurs. It was fine when I started it this AM, so it might be something that gets warm and then fails. The van will also idle just fine. Also, one time when I stepped on the brake it stopped. See the attached video.

I appreciate any suggestions. I hate problems like this, and I don't want to Easter egg the troubleshooting if possible

Dave

Old 06-21-2019, 04:37 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
No attached video, absolutely no indication what year, model or fuel this problem is about. Most here hate trying to be mind readers.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:13 AM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Is it actually turning off and on (dash lights out, starter cranking)? If not, and the engine is just skipping, might have a fuel delivery problem.

Check the easy stuff first - fuel filter, maf sensor, air flow, codes.

If those are all good, fuel pump might be dying.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Fuel pump dying would be more of a stumble at first, not just complete loss of power.

Do you have an aftermarket remote starter or alarm ?

Old 06-21-2019, 12:06 PM
Dgilling
New User

Yikes! Thought I included the video, but it turns out my file format is not acceptable. Attached is a picture of the left side of the dash - the check engine light also comes on. This is a 97 E-350 V-10 with 152Kmi.

The symptoms are the engine quits briefly every 3-4 seconds, but only for a half a second. When it quits, the dash lights - ABS, Check engine, oil, etc come on - just like when the van is started normally. There is also a loud single knock noise that accompanies the outage - sort of sounds like a relay under the dash. I plan to see if I can find a wiring diagram to see what is in line with the ignition switch that cuts out could cut out engine but leaves the accessories on.

I just noticed in the picture that the speedo says zero. Can't explain that. I was driving across the local bridge when this was taken.

Virtually certain this is not fuel related.

Thanks for your suggestions, and sorry about the incomplete info earlier.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:07 PM
Dgilling
New User
It is behaving like the key was partly turned off. It is an intermittent problem, but when it occurs, it cycles about every 3-4 seconds.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 PM
Dgilling
New User
Pretty sure it is not fuel related. I have a newish fuel pump. This is more like a problem in the ignition switch or something downstream.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 PM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Get the codes read first, as that should point you in the right direction. With the cel, you should have codes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.