Notices

5.4 vin V (flex) swapped into 5.4 vin5

Old 06-20-2019, 08:13 AM
71monty
New User
71monty is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.4 vin V (flex) swapped into 5.4 vin5

Morning. I have a 2007 expedition with a 5.4 vin 5 and I want to know if I can swap a 5.4 vin V into it. I do not want to use flex fuel. The salvage yard say it will work but I can't find any info on the swap.

Thanks

Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 PM
F150Torqued
Elder User
F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.
Get the PCM with with the donor engine to avoid stupid computer comparability problems.

EDIT.
Well heck. I momentarily forgot. Keys, PATS and all kinds of stuff are involved if you change PCM. I guess I probably would pass on it unless it was such a deal as to justify the hassle.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:27 PM
redrivergorge
Senior User
redrivergorge is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you use all the sensors and such from the old motor I can't imagine the computer would see a difference. The only other differences would be a tougher fuel system. Flex vehicles run on regular gas too...

Old 06-21-2019, 09:51 AM
F150Torqued
Elder User
F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.F150Torqued has a very good reputation on FTE.
Hummm. It is an interesting question, for which I admit I have NO knowledgable answer. I do not know if there is internal / mechanical differences that would dictate different default tables or parameters from a standard motor. ie: compression, vlave lift, cam timing differences etc. But I couldn't go so far as to say the PCM 'software' would be the same. It'd be like the difference between Windows 7 vs. Wiindows 8 or 10.

For one thing, the sensor(s) that determine fuel composition would not be wired to - or supported by your PCM.

A search turned up this 'tid bit':

https://www.carsdirect.com/green-car...-disadvantages

But it doesn't help with the basic question.

I think I could get comfortable with it by looking up a bunch of parts (such as MAF, Injectors, O2 sensors, Knock Sensors, Pistons, Valves etc and see if there are any differences in part numbers specified for Vin V versus Vin 5.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:06 AM
150R
New User
150R is starting off with a positive reputation.
injectors are probably the only difference and maybe the fuel pressure sensor,mechanically i believe its the same engine

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.