Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954 F100 Rebuild Starter

Old 06-19-2019, 03:39 PM
srod333
New User
srod333 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1954 F100 Rebuild Starter

Hey guys,

Really new to this stuff, just got my hands on a 1954 Ford f100 want to do a resto-mod, since I've never done anything like this I figured I'd start a simple task first, Rebuild the starter. The problem is I can't seem to find a kit or parts to rebuild the starter, can anybody point me in the right direction? Like I said I'm pretty new to this so any help will be greatly appreciated, will post pictures of the truck soon.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:13 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
Sickler1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by srod333 View Post
Hey guys,

Really new to this stuff, just got my hands on a 1954 Ford f100 want to do a resto-mod, since I've never done anything like this I figured I'd start a simple task first, Rebuild the starter. The problem is I can't seem to find a kit or parts to rebuild the starter, can anybody point me in the right direction? Like I said I'm pretty new to this so any help will be greatly appreciated, will post pictures of the truck soon.
Welcome to the forum. I can't point you in the direction of where to get a kit to rebuild your starter off a stock motor. I am a dark sider(SBC) as they say.but iam sure if you post what engine you have some of the guys can help.

Have you tried bringing it to a local starter/alternator repair shop?

Old 06-19-2019, 07:33 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputation
I don't know how big Summerville, SC is but I live in rural central PA and I get my starters and generators rebuilt at a local shop for approximately $40. Easy and I know its done right.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:00 PM
srod333
New User
Sorry should have probably mentioned I have the original engine, 223 inline V6

Old 06-19-2019, 08:21 PM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by srod333 View Post
Sorry should have probably mentioned I have the original engine, 223 inline V6
That original 223 was not a v6.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:34 PM
srod333
New User
Hopefully, this clarifies the situation,

3.6L 3655CC 223Cu. In. l6 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated

Old 06-19-2019, 08:49 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Have to dig through some of the collector car parts sites coupled with the part # of the starter. Don't overlook some of the eBay sellers, if you shoot them a part # they can help. I bet even the tractor supply will have the parts you need. Clean up the armature, make sure it has no burned segments. Brushes are fairly universal, and a couple standard bushings &c. I agree if you can find a motor shop though that might be the way to go.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:40 AM
Scotty's 52 F3
Posting Guru
Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.Scotty's 52 F3 has a great reputation on FTE.
I was lucky. My starter just needed a good cleanup, bushings and brushes. I think I found the best parts and prices at the time on eBay. I did go ahead and true up the armature in my lathe. If it needs coils and/or an armature, it may be cheaper to exchange it or see what an electric shop would charge.

A lot of people go with a more modern starter and used are also available. Ask some of the members of this awesome site.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:50 PM
srod333
New User
Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3 View Post
I was lucky. My starter just needed a good cleanup, bushings and brushes. I think I found the best parts and prices at the time on eBay. I did go ahead and true up the armature in my lathe. If it needs coils and/or an armature, it may be cheaper to exchange it or see what an electric shop would charge.

A lot of people go with a more modern starter and used are also available. Ask some of the members of this awesome site.
This may have to be my route, I still haven't done inventory on everything I received, I'm currently working on rust control but from what I saw it looks like the armature was missing, so I may go with something modern.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.