Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

F500 Front Brakes

Old 06-19-2019, 03:38 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
F500 Front Brakes

I have replaced the back wheel cylinders and had shoes relined. Iím sure I need to replace the front wheel cylinders and have the brake shoes relined. I took the tires off the front. Ran in to my first problem. The drums on the front are different than the back drums. The back drums were held on with 4 or 5 counter sunk flathead bolts. The front drum does not have this. I am assuming I need to take the 6 sided nut off of the center of the drum (pictured below). Or is this just a dust cap? My next problem is my biggest socket wrench is 2Ē (except for an 8 sided 3Ē socket I bought to remove the back axle)Anyone know what size wrench I need? My caliper reads 2.45. It looks like the nut is angled so maybe bigger or smaller than 2.45

Thw book says the front drums are attached to the hub with self locking bolts.

To remove this nut, which direction is to loosen it? Is each side different? Is there a way to hold the drum while trying to loosen this nut?

Iím sure these are the first of many questions to come on this subject.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-19-2019, 03:49 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is the back side of the driver side

Old 06-19-2019, 03:54 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
My book says the F500 has type 2 for front brakes and type 5 for rear brakes.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:04 PM
Jafo56
Elder User
Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.
I used Chanel lock pliers to get mine off...it is threaded

Old 06-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Jafo56
Elder User
Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a great reputation on FTE.
Same as my f-4....... once you get the cap off you will see it.....mine came off pretty easy....

Old 06-19-2019, 04:07 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
I got the cap off (I hope I can buy a replacement). Do I take the spider nut with the cotterpin going through it off to remove the drum? Or is this to remove/ replace the wheel bearings? Which may need to be done as well.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:39 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
OK. I think I understand. Found this in the book. Have to remove the cap, adjusting not, outer bearing, hub, inner bearing and grease retainer. And while unit comes off. Then it looks like 5 bolts that hold drum to hub from back side.

Book says to pull cups and oil seal out with a tool that pulls than absolutely straight out without damage to the cup or the hub. What kind of tool do I need? Iím sure I will need to replace some parts here once I get into it.

Should the drum/hub assembly slide right off or is it going to be a a pain to remove like the back drums were? They do spin freely.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:52 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
When I spin the front drums and press the brake pedal, they do not stop. They dont even try to stop

i did press brake pedal a few times, held it about half way in with some force behind it, started truck, and the pedal comes right back up. I read so where to do this test to see if brake booster is working. It seems like it is.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618 View Post
I got the cap off (I hope I can buy a replacement). Do I take the spider nut with the cotterpin going through it off to remove the drum? Or is this to remove/ replace the wheel bearings? Which may need to be done as well.
Remove the cotter pin and nut, the hub and drum slide off as a unit.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:55 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller
OldStyle has a very good reputation on FTE.OldStyle has a very good reputation on FTE.OldStyle has a very good reputation on FTE.
You might need to back-off the brake shoe adjusters to get the drums off. Here's a couple of pics showing the direction to loosen them. "L" or up is the direction to turn the star wheel inside the slot.

Drivers side

Passenger side

Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 AM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
Anyone know what size threads the dust cap has? Or where I can find them? Ford OEM part 1139

Old 06-20-2019, 10:21 AM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant futureMixer man has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618 View Post
Anyone know what size threads the dust cap has? Or where I can find them? Ford OEM part 1139
I don't know the thread size offhand, but I can tell you that I searched all over because I wanted to chrome them, and turned up nothing. Haven't looked in awhile though.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 AM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mixer man View Post
I don't know the thread size offhand, but I can tell you that I searched all over because I wanted to chrome them, and turned up nothing. Haven't looked in awhile though.

I found some nice cast iron ones with a grease fitting. I know its not original. Also saw some with white FORD letters in a blue oval. Don't know if they would fit, but cool looking.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:30 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Just found these repops. Not sure of the size, and there is no script, but the price is good.
Those won't fit.
Thread size is 2-5/8"-16 and the p/n is A8TZ-1131-C. Fitment is JH, T, TH, TL, W, WH.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM
HVFDFIREFIGHTER1618
Senior User
Do you think I can pull the whole assembly off as a unit or do I need to purchase a bearing puller?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.