2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Should I even bother with a diesel this time?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:14 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should I even bother with a diesel this time?

I'm getting ready to trade in my 06 Cummins and was looking at the 2017+ Power Stroke. After a few weeks of research I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth buying a diesel anymore. All the emissions crap they have slapped on the newer diesels seem to be more prone to causing problems and really expensive ones at that. Low sulfur at the pumps, DEF fluid, EGR issues, head gasket problems, injector problems, fuel pumps ruining engines because of American diesel standards plus the $10K addon just for the diesel engine in the first place. Diesel used to be way cheaper than gas when I bought my first truck back in 2001, that didn't last long. Now it's typically more expensive than premium. I don't tow often but have always wanted to have enough truck to do it if I needed to and have needed to several times. I really like the torque of a diesel engine but it seems like the reward is just not that big anymore unless you're towing things a lot where you really need that torque. What do you guys think? Have any of you went from a diesel to a full size 3/4 or 1 ton gas truck and regretted it? Kind of on the fence now and I never have been before. Thanks for any input.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 PM
Alleydog
Cross-Country
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I had a gasser p/u, not a Ford. Hauled a little because I could only haul a little. I got a medium sized TT and it struggled. I got my first diesel, ‘15 F250, because “I don't tow often but have always wanted to have enough truck to do it if I needed to and have needed to several times.” Hmmm, who said that.?? Oh yeah, you did.
Upgraded to a 5th wheel because I wanted to and because with that truck I COULD.
Get a gasser and you’re limiting yourself but if you are sure you’re not going above the limit then happy hauling/camping.
The 6.2 is beefy for sure but the 6.7 is BEEFIER

Old 06-17-2019, 09:00 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
After reading through your post it sounds like you've already made up your mind. I have yet to read of headgasket issues with the 6.7l, they are not a $10k upcharge and at least at the moment diesel prices are not far off of regular unleaded pricing.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:10 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
Originally Posted by ForCal
After reading through your post it sounds like you've already made up your mind. I have yet to read of headgasket issues with the 6.7l, they are not a $10k upcharge and at least at the moment diesel prices are not far off of regular unleaded pricing.
I had head gasket issues on my 05 Duramax, the 6.0 PS was notorious for it. The 6.4 PS had fuel pumps eating themselves. I had 2 7.3 PS that ate transmissions and now have a Cummins with injector issues. The PS upgrade for ford is over $9K and the Cummins is just about $9k. I used $10k to round it off. I haven't made up my mind exactly and Alleydog had a good point, I wouldn't have the best truck to pull a fifth wheel if I wanted to by going to a gas engine.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 PM
Mattm400
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The 6.7 is a $9120 option, I just went from a F150 6.2 to and F250 6.7 and I'm happy i did. Like others, i dont tow too often, but when i do, it's usually for long trips through the mountains. Sooo, I'm my case, I made the switch and so far so good. The 6.7 is wonderful.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:17 PM
bmbl-bee
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your right the diesel 6.7 isn't a $10,000 upgrade---it's a $9,120.00 upgrade. In Colorado diesel fuel is .40 to .60 cents a gallon more than regular unleaded.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:17 PM
Mattm400
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattm400
The 6.7 is a $9120 option, I just went from a F150 6.2 to and F250 6.7 and I'm happy i did. Like others, i dont tow too often, but when i do, it's usually for long trips through the mountains. Sooo, I'm my case, I made the switch and so far so good. The 6.7 is wonderful.
One more thing, I been through the 6.0 diesel issues in 03, I researched this 6.7 for a long time. Seems pretty much solid. No engine is without a few issues here & there. You are most likely to read bad stuff here than good. It's easier to complain than praise. Just get what you want & enjoy it. I look forward to driving my super duty every time I get in it.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Head gaskets are a non issue on the 6.7s as are injector problems. Yes, the CP4.2 HPFPs are finicky, but the fuel pump issues are blown out of proportion. Keep clean fuel in it and properly prime the system during fuel filter changes and you won’t have issues. The emissions systems have come a long way since 2008. They do add complexity to the truck, but with each passing year model, they are getting better. If you want the diesel, but the emissions scare you, you could do the 6 letter word that starts with “D”.

Drice a 6.2 every day at work (2014). Capable engine. Tow periodically with it (7-8k). Gutless in my opinion. Gotta let it scream to feel like it’s getting anything done. Extended cab 2wd shortbed. Averages 15 MPGs empty. 7-8 towing. They have been extremely reliable. So have the 6.7s. We have started buying diesels again in the 4 and 550 trucks. 6.4s soured the company on Ford diesels for awhile so the 6.8 V-10 has been the workhorse for our fleets. Averaging 4-6 MPG while the 6.7s in the same application are sitting 10-11.

Everyone raves about the 2017+ 6.2s with 4.30 rears. They are peppy. Go drive both and see which one you like. Don’t let reliability fears keep the 6.7 out of the equation. They have been great.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
Hopefully someone will chime in that has gone from diesel to gas so I can have some balanced feedback. I have a feeling most here are going to be coming from the gas to diesel side. I appreciate any input regardless.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 PM
voodoolord
Senior User
Originally Posted by UGA33
Head gaskets are a non issue on the 6.7s as are injector problems. Yes, the CP4.2 HPFPs are finicky, but the fuel pump issues are blown out of proportion. Keep clean fuel in it and properly prime the system during fuel filter changes and you won’t have issues. The emissions systems have come a long way since 2008. They do add complexity to the truck, but with each passing year model, they are getting better. If you want the diesel, but the emissions scare you, you could do the 6 letter word that starts with “D”.

Drice a 6.2 every day at work (2014). Capable engine. Tow periodically with it (7-8k). Gutless in my opinion. Gotta let it scream to feel like it’s getting anything done. Extended cab 2wd shortbed. Averages 15 MPGs empty. 7-8 towing. They have been extremely reliable. So have the 6.7s. We have started buying diesels again in the 4 and 550 trucks. 6.4s soured the company on Ford diesels for awhile so the 6.8 V-10 has been the workhorse for our fleets. Averaging 4-6 MPG while the 6.7s in the same application are sitting 10-11.

Everyone raves about the 2017+ 6.2s with 4.30 rears. They are peppy. Go drive both and see which one you like. Don’t let reliability fears keep the 6.7 out of the equation. They have been great.
Thanks for that, good info. I'm not quite as worried about reliability as much as it actually being worth the money. That is crazy low economy for the V-10's. Was that loaded down or unloaded or a bit of both?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 PM
Wandell877
Senior User
My first diesel was a 2012 Cummins, which I deleted immediately. This was at the recommendation of the dealer, as most of their problems were emissions related. Emissions have come a long way in just a few short years. People hated to see DEF systems added, but if you're gonna leave the engine stock you're much better off with it. I'm really impressed with the 6.7 Powerstroke so far. Stock, it feels really, really close to the 2012 6.7 Cummins with a 100 hp tune!

Old 06-17-2019, 09:43 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by voodoolord
Thanks for that, good info. I'm not quite as worried about reliability as much as it actually being worth the money. That is crazy low economy for the V-10's. Was that loaded down or unloaded or a bit of both?
They usually weigh in around 17-18k. Each one is different. This is how they have all been configured. The guys that ride the interstates hard see the worst mileage with the V-10s. Trying to push that parachute of a service body down the road kills fuel mileage.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,630 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by voodoolord
Hopefully someone will chime in that has gone from diesel to gas so I can have some balanced feedback. I have a feeling most here are going to be coming from the gas to diesel side. I appreciate any input regardless.
Well sir, I went from a 6.2 gas to a 6.7 diesel. The 6.2 did OK pulling my big 5er, just very busy and could not push it without dumping a LOT of gas in it. Generally kept it around 60 or a little less and got around 7 MPG towing. A lot of hills were in 2nd or 3rd gear @5000-5500 RPM. Never overheated or anything. Traded it for a new ‘15 King Ranch 350 dually. Towing was a dream, but that truck was an electronic nightmare from the second day I had it. Lemon laws in that state only covered up to 10,000 GVW. Went back to the dealer where I bought it, and he cut me a hell of a deal on a new ‘16 King Ranch 350 dually with a 6.7, and that truck was flawless. Pulled like a beast. As long as I have a big 5er (18000GVW) I won’t go back to gas. The only reason I now have a Ram is I have a couple of friends with them, and they really like them, and the Ram dealer here cut me a great deal (10K less than a KR for a Laramie Longhorn) so I thought I would give one a try. And regardless of what the Ram fanboys say, my ‘16 6.7 with 3.73 gears would out-pull this Cummins 6.7 HO with 4.10 gears. But it is still also a good truck so far. With all this being said, if you want the oil burner, go for it.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:54 PM
NWnative
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
The 6.2 / 4.30 Axle is a very nice alternative. Reliable and gets the job done!

Old 06-17-2019, 10:09 PM
atomictyler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bmbl-bee
Your right the diesel 6.7 isn't a $10,000 upgrade---it's a $9,120.00 upgrade. In Colorado diesel fuel is .40 to .60 cents a gallon more than regular unleaded.
It's not where I live in Colorado. Some places are the same and the most I've seen it cost more is $.15 a gallon

Quick Reply: Should I even bother with a diesel this time?