Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 6.8l V10 issues? What to look and watch out for?

Old 06-16-2019, 10:09 PM
stevenmwardjr
New User
stevenmwardjr is starting off with a positive reputation.
2009 6.8l V10 issues? What to look and watch out for?

So I'm in the process of searching for a truck, my top candidate is a 2009 F250 XL, its optioned how I want and is a good clean slate, it's got 97k on it but the seller appears to have a lot of fleet trucks, so it might be a lot of idling hours on the motor.

How would I find out how many hours are on the motor, also what do I need to check and watch out for with this motor?

Old 06-17-2019, 05:12 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by stevenmwardjr View Post

How would I find out how many hours are on the motor, also what do I need to check and watch out for with this motor?
I've read an advanced near-dealer level scanner can read the PCM's accumulated hours of operation. Not sure if FORScan can do this but a good shop with advanced level scanner would be a good place to start I'm thinking.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 AM
DesertSmoker
Junior User
DesertSmoker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by stevenmwardjr View Post

You can get the info off the console display. Ford says the motors are good for 4000 hours.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:42 PM
Sancho
Senior User
Sancho is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2009 f350 has about 130k, 3100 hrs. So far, no oil consumption. Engine oil analysis shows no abnormal wear.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:58 AM
Mcrafty1
Posting Guru
Mcrafty1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Mcrafty1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by DesertSmoker View Post
You can get the info off the console display. Ford says the motors are good for 4000 hours.
You say 2009 XL has the accumulated hours on the console display? I have one but have yet to see the hour meter, how do I get that to come up? My 07 lariat 6.0l comes up when I cycle through the dash display but the 09 hasn't popped up when I do that?

Sorry for the Hijack but this may help the OP also.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:07 AM
DesertSmoker
Junior User
DesertSmoker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mcrafty,

I have to do an oil change this up coming weekend so I will try to figure out how to get back to the hour meter display.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:16 AM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my 2008 I just push the dash button on the cluster and it comes up at some point. Should be the same for the 09. Not sure if the truck needs to be running or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.