1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E450 started up and complete engine/electrical shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 05:58 PM
Frankie4fingers
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy E450 started up and complete engine/electrical shutdown

Howdy
First post and I hope I am in the right section.
I have a 2005 E450 Winnebago Minnie Winnie with a approx. 35,000 miles. Pulled it out today to do the engine oil change and other pre-trip/annual maintenance.
Chassis battery was dead, which is odd cause it was charged and disconnected prior to storage. Charged battery overnight. No issues there yet.
On initial start up, to pull it out of the barn and engine warm-up, The low fuel light "caution light" came on and also indicated that on the fuel gauge. I always store the RV with 3/4 to full tank of fuel on board.
I added about 6 gallons or a little more to the point the fuel was almost all the way up the filler neck. Hmmm .
Did the oil/filter change and replaced the air filter. Mice seem to like air filters. Did maintenance on the house generator.
Went to start the RV up, to take it for a little test drive, to see if I could rattle lose the float switch in the fuel tank. Odd anyways, like I stated before the when I store the RV.
The engine ran for about 20 seconds and then, complete engine shutdown and all gauges did their floppy chicken routine then ZERO electrical. Disconnected and reconnect the battery and still nothing. I think I have this experience before on other vehicles but can not remember what the cause was.
After that long winded explanation...What the heck???

Old 06-15-2019, 04:51 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Since you've mentioned mice could they have chewed through any of the electrical wiring, possibly cutting power to the fuel pump?

The gauge behavior can probably be attributed to that chassis having the CAN-bus network in use from 2005 forward on the E-Series. A low battery can cause issues with the cluster, typically it going away when the charge has been restored or a fresh battery installed. At minimum you'll want to have the battery tested for its health. BTW if the existing chassis battery is original its lived a good life and might need replaced.

You'll want to check the door jamb sticker for the actual production date of the chassis---it might be a year earlier than what's on the title. From there assuming you have a good condition battery, have inspected the chassis wiring from front to back it'll be time to do some basic trouble shooting to find where you have power and at what point or device it can no longer be found.

Typically I'll suggest an avid DIY mechanic acquire and keep an EVTM or book of schematics for situations just like this----this does assume you're confident enough to dig into what's caused the current situation and possibly repair it yourself. This is the best price on eBay--not sure of its actual condition though. In that same category there are a few others for slightly more money and perhaps in better or near new condition: 2005 E450 EVTM

HTH

Old 06-15-2019, 10:40 AM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My money is on rodents chewing some wires, as mentioned.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:02 PM
Frankie4fingers
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E450 started up and complete engine/electrical shutdown

Well, I left the battery disconnected overnight and tried again this morning.
The fuseable link was ok and nothing looked normal in any of the fuses box locations.
The vehicle acted like nothing has happened. Started right up, all gauges worked normally.
I am wondering if it had anything to do with the oil change I did, lack of oil, which caused the system to shut down? I wouldn't think so, cause who would want the system to totally shut down while driving.
All maintenance done today. Changed the chassis's fuel filter today. Boy, did a lot of dirt come out of the old one.
Will do another start up tomorrow to see if the gremlins rear their ugly heads.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Originally Posted by JWA
Since you've mentioned mice could they have chewed through any of the electrical wiring, possibly cutting power to the fuel pump?

The gauge behavior can probably be attributed to that chassis having the CAN-bus network in use from 2005 forward on the E-Series. A low battery can cause issues with the cluster, typically it going away when the charge has been restored or a fresh battery installed. At minimum you'll want to have the battery tested for its health. BTW if the existing chassis battery is original its lived a good life and might need replaced.

You'll want to check the door jamb sticker for the actual production date of the chassis---it might be a year earlier than what's on the title. From there assuming you have a good condition battery, have inspected the chassis wiring from front to back it'll be time to do some basic trouble shooting to find where you have power and at what point or device it can no longer be found.

Typically I'll suggest an avid DIY mechanic acquire and keep an EVTM or book of schematics for situations just like this----this does assume you're confident enough to dig into what's caused the current situation and possibly repair it yourself. This is the best price on eBay--not sure of its actual condition though. In that same category there are a few others for slightly more money and perhaps in better or near new condition: 2005 E450 EVTM

HTH

Old 06-20-2019, 11:52 AM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 749 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankie4fingers
I am wondering if it had anything to do with the oil change I did, lack of oil, which caused the system to shut down? I wouldn't think so, cause who would want the system to totally shut down while driving.
They'll run until destruction on no oil, so that's not it.