Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Hood scoops?

Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 PM
broktruk
Junior User
broktruk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hood scoops?

So, I know theres a thread about hood scoop photos but am having trouble finding it. Ive seen a lot of different scoops on the 73-79 and they seem ok at best. I am going through my dads truck and the one thing he always wanted to do is put a Boss 429 hood scoop on. I am willing to entertain the idea but, I need to see what it looks like before I can make up my mind. Like I said, ive seen a lot of different stuff but never the Boss 429. Does anyone have a picture of this configuration? Or, does anyone know where the hood scoop thread is?

Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 PM
caravaggio2000
Senior User
caravaggio2000 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is that what this is? (From a CL ad)

Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 AM
broktruk
Junior User
Possibly. Looks like it from the front.

My son sitting in a friends car. About the only forward shot i have.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:03 AM
caravaggio2000
Senior User
Let me throw this out there... I was watching a little video on hood scoops the other day and it said most of these, including this style, actually don't pull fresh air into the engine bay, but cause a vacuum sucking air out. If you wanted to actually have air flow going into it you'd have to raise it up considerably more. This guy said the best setup if you want to go with a hood scoop is the kind with the opening facing the windshield.

I have no clue myself... never had a hood scoop, but the argument did make sense.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:49 AM
broktruk
Junior User
On a functional scoop the theory would be to “Ram” the air in. I am going for asthetic, mostly due to the fact that the air cleaner seal would be quite large in order to effectively seal against the hood. Dad always wanted a Boss 429 scoop. I am restoring his rig and am undecided if this particular one would look alright. Should have tested the aesthetics of my buddys scoop before it went back on the car. Thanks for the insight though, it does cause more thought.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:14 AM
flowney
Posting Guru
flowney is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On the User CP bar at the top of every page, click on Search and choose Advanced from the drop down menu that appears. Then use "hood scoops" as the search term and choose "Search only titles." Then scroll down and restrict the search to this forum. You will get a bunch of hits with many good images to ponder.

Hit this link to see the search results.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:33 AM
bigfoot22
Senior User
bigfoot22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've always wondered what the tear drop hood scoop would look like on these trucks. Like the Thunderbolt Fairlane. With the vents on the windshield side, I don't know how it would work on pulling hot air out of the engine bay.
I know they had hoses running from the grill into the air cleaner but the scoop itself would be cool.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:06 PM
75f100hsv
Freshman User
75f100hsv is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, you may want to block off the scoop if you add it to make it "non-functional". Due to the aerodynamics I'm betting the air stream goes over the top of the scoop therefore creating the vacuum affect.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:41 PM
meangreen92
Postmaster
meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.meangreen92 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by caravaggio2000 View Post
Let me throw this out there... I was watching a little video on hood scoops the other day and it said most of these, including this style, actually don't pull fresh air into the engine bay, but cause a vacuum sucking air out. If you wanted to actually have air flow going into it you'd have to raise it up considerably more. This guy said the best setup if you want to go with a hood scoop is the kind with the opening facing the windshield.

I have no clue myself... never had a hood scoop, but the argument did make sense.
I think I saw that. Was he using Mopars for his demonstration?

It's true that a front-facing hood scoop can be too low. There is a buffer of air on the surface of the hood due to aerodynamics, and that air can't be scooped up. An effective hood scoop will be at least a few inches above the hood, in order to truly scoop in air.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:33 PM
broktruk
Junior User
Originally Posted by flowney View Post
On the User CP bar at the top of every page, click on Search and choose Advanced from the drop down menu that appears. Then use "hood scoops" as the search term and choose "Search only titles." Then scroll down and restrict the search to this forum. You will get a bunch of hits with many good images to ponder.

Hit this link to see the search results.
I appreciate the assistance. I thought i had the forum down but, do hit snags. Thank you

Old 06-13-2019, 01:47 PM
caravaggio2000
Senior User
Originally Posted by meangreen92 View Post
I think I saw that. Was he using Mopars for his demonstration?

It's true that a front-facing hood scoop can be too low. There is a buffer of air on the surface of the hood due to aerodynamics, and that air can't be scooped up. An effective hood scoop will be at least a few inches above the hood, in order to truly scoop in air.
Yep, that's the one!

Old 06-13-2019, 02:27 PM
flowney
Posting Guru
flowney is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by bigfoot22 View Post
I've always wondered what the tear drop hood scoop would look like on these trucks. Like the Thunderbolt Fairlane. With the vents on the windshield side, I don't know how it would work on pulling hot air out of the engine bay.
I know they had hoses running from the grill into the air cleaner but the scoop itself would be cool.
The Thunderbolt design was primarily to provide room for the carb atop a medium or hi-rise 427 intake manifold without increasing aerodynamic resistance appreciably. That design also enabled the heat dissipation outlets on the back to extract some heat from the engine bay which is always a good idea. I've often wondered if Ford did any wind tunnel testing of this design as they do today. In any case, we really don't need any more space between the intake and the hood. A Thunderbolt teardrop would be mostly for looks on a dent side truck. However ...
Given that our trucks are aerodynamic barn doors, the Thunderbolt air inlets created by repurposing two of the four headlights is instructive. We have all that frontal area pushing air so why not convert some of that resistance to taking in colder, fresher air and delivering it to the carb?
Here's an image that will illustrate what I am referring to.

Replace those two inner headlamps with air intake funnels. These are 7" in diameter, bigger than the Thunderbolt.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:51 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to allFuzzFace2 is a name known to all
Some are right about the scoop being to low and back to far on the hood so it is out of the air stream and kind of useless on the ram air part.
Now to be a ram type scoop it needs to be placed close on the front edge of the hood before the air stream has a chance to be pushed up over the scoop or higher in the air stream.

Because this air stream comes back down and the front windshield it now going up a lot of air pressure is built up at the base of the glass.
That is why the GM cowl induction scoop works as it does, the high air psi is rammed into the carb.
This air should also be cooler and cool air adds power.

You can also get this ram from in front of the grille or has been pointed out at the head lights.
If you look at newer cars & trucks they pull cool air from the grille area for the motor to use.
My 81 F100 with 300 six pulls air from the grille area from the factory.

I wonder if the too low scoop is pulling in cooler air and it just is not a ram air type?
I also thought a Boss scoop was a shaker type and bolted to the motor and moved with it?
Factory ram air hood on my 70 AMC Javelin. It sits up front on the hood and uses duct work back to the carb.

MOPAR 6pak working hood scoop on my drag car. Yes it may be back too far for ram air but it should pull in cool air for more power.

BTW I have also seen it said to have the ram air "ram" to do any good you would need to doing over 100MPH
Dave ----

Old 06-13-2019, 08:09 PM
azroxx
FE new guy learning
azroxx is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have many vehicles and interests outside of Dentsides. My 1990 NA6 Maita for example, I have a hood scoop on it as I lived in Phoenix AZ and had cooling issues sitting on the freeway for hours..The thought behind it was to allow hot air to escape out and also to push air in quickly after I got up to speed again in the stop-go traffic known as Phoenix. It has a slippery nose compared to my trucks for sure.

Since then there have been some design guys mess around with the wind tunnel and now the current fad is mesh screen in cutouts in the hood and air ducts being installed in the grill area to create a positive flow.

For purely looks...I am okay with a scoop on a nice clean old truck, no harm, no foul. For function I would set up intake from the grille area to funnel to the top of the motor and give it an exit point by a rear facing low profile scoop.

My two cents...

Larry

P.S. flowney, everytime I see that 4 headlight truck I recoil in horror and then just stare in fascination...

Last edited by azroxx; 06-13-2019 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 PM
caravaggio2000
Senior User
Don't all the 73-79 trucks also come with a factory cold air intake in the grille area?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.