Notices
Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Master Cylinder/Switch Assy Popped out

Old 06-12-2019, 05:25 PM
BlackTruckDave
Senior User
BlackTruckDave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Master Cylinder/Switch Assy Popped out

Hello Forum, 2008 F350XLT 4wd
I stepped on the brake pedal to put the truck in reverse and heard a popping noise and felt the pedal sink to the floor. Got out raised the hood and saw brake fluid dripping from under the master cylinder. Looking closer I could see the 'Switch Assy'(Part#: SW6349 (9F924)) had come out but it was the inner electrical connector of that part that seperated from the part itself. It looks like a pressed in plastic connector. Do they just go bad. Truck is from rust belt.
I can replace that part but what would cause that to happen and what else should I be aware of and maybe be looking at. They system has clean brake fluid for months now and new brakes, rotors and calipers.
thanks in advance

Switch Assy - Part-SW6349 (9F924)

Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 PM
BlackTruckDave
Senior User
After some research the part is for cruise control on/off in the master cylinder....I got the part from Advance for 48$ its a 'BWD CCS5' came in a Carquest box and says "Hecho En Eua" MADE IN USA! Here is a video I found explaining this in better detail. Still not sure why it popped out.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:21 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Those switches were recalled some time ago---they'd leak and catch fire according to what I've read. That one would basically blow apart isn't a huge surprise. Ford will replace that part free of charge---if you want to DIY they'll just give you the part.

Glad you got this repaired--nothing worse than a suddenly sinking brake pedal.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:17 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Those switches were recalled some time ago---they'd leak and catch fire according to what I've read. That one would basically blow apart isn't a huge surprise. Ford will replace that part free of charge---if you want to DIY they'll just give you the part.

Glad you got this repaired--nothing worse than a suddenly sinking brake pedal.
It was the older switches on the older vehicles that were recalled, not a 2008.

This is the first such failure I've heard of for a gross failure of the pressure switch on this generation of trucks. I would suggest going to NHTSA's website and filing a report so that they have the data.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:15 PM
BlackTruckDave
Senior User
The good thing for me was that it happened in my driveway. I will follow up with a video. The metal casing on mine is rusty and corroded...the other piece in the bottom of the Master cylinder looks clean and no rust. I bought the new part from advance for 46$ after online discounts.

I also filed with NHTSA so its on record.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.