Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fan shroud and stator assembly.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 AM
99whiteford
Senior User
99whiteford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fan shroud and stator assembly.

Im about to start on replacing the water pump on my truck.My question is the stator on the fan assembly( think thats whats its called) a necessity when putting everything back together.
I understand about the shroud but cant really see the benefits of the other parts.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:35 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
It's usually a topic of contention on many forums. I've pulled mine and have never seen an issue.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:13 AM
MisterCMK
Avid Winter Hater
MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Delete the stator!

Old 06-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Visurveyor
Senior User
Visurveyor is starting off with a positive reputation.
O.k. gentlemen i have the top of my motor off waiting on my XD pump to arrive. And that aggravating stator in my way and was wondering what it would hurt to cut out. I have read your opinions onthis thread and have decided i am going to cut it out. Funny a tread pops up to answer my question. Thanks guys for answering my question without asking.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:35 PM
Monster-4
Who? Me?
Monster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud ofMonster-4 has much to be proud of
Just had mine out to do radiator, water pump and fan clutch. I put it back in because I didn't want it kicking around the garage and I know I wouldn't have the heart to throw it out.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Visurveyor
Senior User
When the rain quites, I'm going to take my Milwaukee multi tool and cut it out. Dont plan on keeping. I was in shop earlier coming up with a bracket to hold wireing up and out of way of the fan blades.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:17 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
I just took some flat bar, made an ELL and bolted it up to carry the fan wiring.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Visurveyor
Senior User
Took an old t-bracket cut to size. Drilled two holes. I will install if weather here in N Fla will ever clear. Should work alright.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:52 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
The point of the stator is to direct the flow of air. It helps keep air going to the radiator, AC, and Trans cooler. Along with the fin on the stator, it helps direct the flow of air to the alternator. This helps keep the alternator cooler so you don't burn through one. I took off my fin, not the stator, but the fin, and burned through 6 alternators in 5 months of Texas heat. After I put the fin back and had an alternator shop go through my last 140 amp, I haven't had a problem even in the 200 degree Texas heat.

The other point of thr stator is protection. It prevents the belt from becoming tangled in the fan should it ever come apart. When my 7.3 Excursion lost a pulley Winter 2017, the belt got tangled up in the fan bad and it wasn't easy to clean up. With the stator on a 6.0, such damage would be limited to what's behind the stator and not the more expensive things in front of it.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Visurveyor
Senior User
Those are good points. you definitely have me thinking now. I haven't chopped it out yet do to rain, built the L bracket. Other than the protection side of your of advise i have to say have read alot of posts that say they dont see enough of a change to be concerned. Now the alternator issue i dont think has been mentioned on the stator as mutch as the air deflector flap for alternator cooling. But you do make good points to keep my thinking before i decide to wack it. But it is a Big PIA

Old 06-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Byrd.Dog
Senior User
Byrd.Dog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sure would make changing a belt easier without that damn thing in the way.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 PM
Visurveyor
Senior User
Amen. But the damage control defiantly has to give a little pause. That belt could do a lot of damage if get gets hooked wright when it comes off. I pondering all for sure.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:20 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
These 6.0L's are FULL of "not-so-straightforward" pro and con decisions .......

Old 06-10-2019, 04:29 PM
Visurveyor
Senior User
Trust me Bismic I'll have my mind made up tommarow when i start puting all back together , weather permitting. knowing me itll take till then to decide then ill just do what I Feel is best for me. But i can say the guys on this forum make decisions like this a lot easier. More info is always a good thing.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
I agree - for a good example of that look at the Tech Folder. There have been a lot of heavy contributors over the years.

Regarding the fan stator, it has been a question for many years. Many have removed it and said that they have seen no issues. Razzi's post is one of the very, very few (if not the only one) that indicate a problem developing quickly. That is not to say that issues can not develop slowly. The slowly developing ones just aren't going to be traceable to a cause (at least not very often). Reading up and choosing what is right for you is the ONLY way to approach this one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.