Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Black smoke all of the sudden.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:18 PM
HandyAl
New User
HandyAl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Black smoke all of the sudden.

1994 E350-E40D,5.8l 240K miles ...

It has been an awesome van for the last 7 years I have owned it.
Today, when I was about to leave my house, it started to smoke very badly. Black smoke and lots of it. Check engine light came on with codes 112,117,122,126,327,513,553,554,556,565,638,654
I am thinking the computer took a dive.

Has anyone experienced this kind of problem?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

PS. Fuel pressure is good. No blown fuses or relays. Truck starts but it is a bit shaky with all the black smoke on tail piper.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:39 PM
jimbomitch
Senior User
jimbomitch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go with the easy stuff first, did you check the air intake for any obstructions? Maybe a critter decided to take up residence in the air filter box.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:39 PM
wirelessengineer
Elder User
wirelessengineer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check your grounds before you go spending money on a new computer. Start at the battery terminal and make sure that's good, and I mean the post, the connection, and the cable, then follow it to the ends as well. Be through, and be rough. Yank on the cable, try to break the connections. Sometimes they can look good but are full of corrosion.

Then find the ground for the computer and do the same.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:43 AM
HandyAl
New User
HandyAl is starting off with a positive reputation.
UPDATE:

After checking a few sensors for such as TPS, Coolant sensor for 5v reference and finding out that the sensors were dead, I went ahead and order a new/remanufactured computer.
I installed it and my problem was solved, sort of. After I installed a new computer, the truck ran but it was running very crappy as if it needed a tune up even though I had replaced wires, sparkplugs, etc, less than two years ago. I think what happened is: when the computer died it, injectors were firing up and getting sparkplugs saturated with fuel. No wonder all the black smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

I went ahead and did a tune up with Motorcraft parts and now the van is running very smoothly.

Now looking back I think that the computer, after 20 years plus of service, was a bit faulty. One, I had already replaced one capacitor a few years back wich it took me a long time to figured out.
My shifts were very inconsistent. My curb idle speed was fluctuating all the time, even when I had already replaced a lot of electronic parts with Motorcraft parts. Now with the new computer installed, the van is running as if it just came out of the assembly line.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
spikedog is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cool. Always like to hear how things turn out, especially if it was a happy ending.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.