6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Help Changed fuel filters, got air in, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 01:20 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Help Changed fuel filters, got air in, what now?

I changed the fuel filters and failed to get the bottom one all the way to the stop. I know better but I just had a brain fart. Cycled six times and it started right up. Ran a few seconds and stopped. I cycled six more times and tried again, no start. Rechecked my work and put the power bar on the bottom filter and felt it turn to the hard stop. Then I remembered that is what I was supposed to do in the first place. Won't start now, pump is gurgling when I cycle. How deep of dodo am I in, Anything I can do to clear the problem, Thanks

Old 06-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,606 Likes on 1,640 Posts
IDK if there is a “standard” procedure or not; but here is what I would do.
1. Place a container under the DFCM and open the drain valve to see that a good stream of fuel runs out with no bubbles.
When that is done, close valve.
2. Remove line from Downstream side of secondary filter and hook a hose to the filter and run that hose to a container. Then turn key on to run the lift pump to make sure a good stream of fuel comes out with no bubbles.
When that is done, re-connect the fuel line to the filter and try starting engine again.
With all that, maybe someone else will chime in that has had this happen to them and how they remedied things.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:28 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
thanks, I have plenty of fuel at in on the engine filter. Guess I'll try her again.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:50 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I changed the fuel filters and failed to get the bottom one all the way to the stop. I know better but I just had a brain fart. Cycled six times and it started right up. Ran a few seconds and stopped. I cycled six more times and tried again, no start. Rechecked my work and put the power bar on the bottom filter and felt it turn to the hard stop. Then I remembered that is what I was supposed to do in the first place. Won't start now, pump is gurgling when I cycle. How deep of dodo am I in, Anything I can do to clear the problem, Thanks
If it was that hard to get to the stop, I'd open it up and check for a damaged O ring. Did you lube the O ring before tightening? The normal key on/key off should purge any air if there are no leaks.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:07 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I'm pretty sure I have a leak at the frame filter. When I close everything up and do the purges I can hear a kind of noise from the filter housing. I have taken it off and reseated, I also removed the o ring and made sure it was greased. I am turning it to the full stop, it will not go further. I'm wondering if I may not have the pitcock closed tight enough. I did it with my fingers. I've been doing this for ten years and two trucks and never had a problem. As best I can recall I did it like I always do. The other interesting thing is the flow of fuel never shuts off when I have the cap off. I thought it stopped flowing when the cap was screwed off. Oh well, tomorrow is another day,

Old 06-09-2019, 06:49 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
The other interesting thing is the flow of fuel never shuts off when I have the cap off. I thought it stopped flowing when the cap was screwed off. Oh well, tomorrow is another day,
Something is not right there is a check ball/valve that prevents fuel flow after turning the housing 3 full turns. Even after tightening the bowl. fuel flow does not return until priming.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:19 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Something is not right there is a check ball/valve that prevents fuel flow after turning the housing 3 full turns. Even after tightening the bowl. fuel flow does not return until priming.

Yeah, thats what I thought. Thanks

Old 06-10-2019, 04:53 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
We often do not read the owner's manuals. These excerpts are from the maintenance section of the 2015 SD Diesel Supplemental manual.

Notice the notes Ford kindly put into the section about the filter housing and purging.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:14 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
We often do not read the owner's manuals. These excerpts are from the maintenance section of the 2015 SD Diesel Supplemental manual.

Notice the notes Ford kindly put into the section about the filter housing and purging.

Thank you Larry. As I was in the shower yesterday washing the diesel fuel from where my hair once was it did occur to me that I had not tightened the drain as tight as might be required. I hope that is all I need. As we used to say in my previous working life, RTFB. Read THE F BOOK.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:23 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,328 Likes on 4,594 Posts
All I've bought were the Motorcraft fuel filters kit and I've never got a little packet of grease. Huh? Good luck, Stanley.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:28 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Overkill2
All I've bought were the Motorcraft fuel filters kit and I've never got a little packet of grease. Huh? Good luck, Stanley.
Me neither. I think it is greased in that little plastic bag.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:44 AM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
It does come pre-greased and sealed in its own bag. I always add more just to be sure.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:19 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
A long time Ford Master Diesel mechanic from NJ, that rarely visits this site now but still active on another site recommends lubricating all the o-rings, green and the ones on the yellow drain plug, with clean engine oil.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
OK y"all, just to bring this to a conclusion the fuel drain pitcock was the peoblem. That and the ageing process. All my life I have tightened that kind of **** hard with my fingers, and I did this time. So this morning I went out and tried to tighten it further with my fingers, no go. So just for grins I grabbed a pair of pliers and wrung another quarter or third of a turn from it. Got in and as soon as I heard the first cycle I knew that was it. If you suspect that filter housing is leaking just turn the key on and listen. You will hear it.

Thank you one and all for the help. I haven't been on here much lately but I am a long time user of this forum and it has served me well through my three ford superdutys. No matter what it has been we have managed to find help here on FTE.

Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:35 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Glad you got it running ok..next time.....remove the yellow drain plug....check for stuck o-rings left inside the canister.....lube them before screwing the drain plug back in

Quick Reply: Help Changed fuel filters, got air in, what now?