Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

First issue with my new 2015 f250

Old 06-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Barty88
Senior User
Barty88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
First issue with my new 2015 f250

Still need to post pics when i have time in my other thread, but this just happened. Bought it 3 days ago and check engine light pops on today, go to Autozone for the free code reading and its "p0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1"

So I Google and its either a bad cat and/or O2 sensors. Vide on O2 sensor replacement seems pretty difficult including needing specialty tools? Any advice on what to or try?

Old 06-08-2019, 05:48 PM
jsukey
New User
jsukey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Was it a private sale, or through a dealer? I would be asking them to contribute either way. Don't start throwing parts at it, because that code could represent a wide variety of parts. I would be looking for a quality dealer/diesel mechanic to look into it personally.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Barty88
Senior User
Sorry... I should have clarified, this is the 6.2 gas V8 not the Diesel. I have an appointment for the local Ford Dealer to go over it all on Friday so we'll see what they say, but it was from a used car lot in Virginia.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:57 PM
jsukey
New User
Did you address the issue with the car lot owner?

Old 06-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Barty88
Senior User
Not yet, since I do not know 100% whats wrong yet, If I bring it to a dealer for a repair wont they just have to start throwing parts at it to see what makes the code stop appearing as well.... just at 3 times the cost of regular mechanic. I bet I can get the parts for at least 30% if not 50% off what a dealer would charge me by ordering online and my local ACE certified guy with a lift in his garage (literally) is only $50-$60 an hour as opposed to probably over $100 now at the dealer... Starting to watch videos.... but its been a decade or more since I wrenched on some rusty old exhaust systems on even older trucks. This is way too new for me to feel comfortable yanking electronic components out and damaging the whole exhaust system. Was hoping the cat and O2 sensors were less expensive and could be a backyard job one evening but the video states its 'moderately' hard and you need at least two specialty tools I dont have for the O2 sensor alone. Gonna email the dealer I bought it from just to give him a heads up.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 PM
jsukey
New User
They have much more sophisticated instruments as well as certified knowledge that could tell you what the issue is. I would not wait to contact the owner of the lot. Go ahead and get him in the loop as soon as possible.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:32 PM
leadmic
Elder User
leadmic is starting off with a positive reputation.
How many miles? If over 90,000 have the plugs been changed? If not I would start their and hope the previous owner didn't clear the codes before they sold it to you to cover up bad cats.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Barty88
Senior User
There is no repair or maintenance history, but I doubt the plugs were changed. Its got 121K miles and it has the White Rancho Shocks (I assume are original and werent replaced with the exact same ones, but who knows) which I feel are bad or at least worn so I was already replacing them. Everything on the truck is stock except a Ranch Hand brush guard I removed. No add-ons or custom parts. My best guess is the plugs would be original too unless they were giving the previous owner issues. Being a Texas truck its whole life it didn't have to deal with drastic climate changes, rain, snow, ice, salt, bad rust, etc. so hopefully the O2 sensors will come out easy if needed. Any way to tell if the plugs are original myself? Or would the mechanic be the only one who could tell after removing one or two?

Old 06-08-2019, 07:07 PM
jsukey
New User
You can always pull a plug to check it yourself. I would still get the owner of the car lot involved before touching it with a wrench.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:09 PM
SnowPlowDriver
Senior User
SnowPlowDriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by leadmic View Post
How many miles? If over 90,000 have the plugs been changed? If not I would start their and hope the previous owner didn't clear the codes before they sold it to you to cover up bad cats.
That's my guess. Battery was disconnected or codes were cleared.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:16 AM
leadmic
Elder User
leadmic is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would definitely get the seller involved if possible, new cats are about two grand. If someone cleared the codes to sell it knowing the cats were bad that's just wrong.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Barty88
Senior User
I reached out to the dealers but know they are closed to day. We will see what they say. Probably "tough luck". I Dont know what used car laws are for trucks sold 'As Is' in Virginia, but I am dubious they will step up. There is also no way to prove what happened. Having issues within a couple days of purchase should mean something, but legally.... who knows. I see the Ford OEM cats are a couple grand, unless I went with something like magnaflow they are $400. Maybe used off a low mileage totalled truck? Hopefully it wont be that at all... hopefully. I am trying to get in ASAP somewhere to have plugs and wires changed, because I am pretty sure it needs it anyway, unless they start and say "Wait, these are brand new!". I am 90% sure they will be original stock like evrything else on the truck. If that doeant work then a pair of Bosch O2 sensors is about $130 plus labor. Try to replace those in pairs I think and if that STILL isnt it... then cats. Thats what I am thinking in terms of approach and praying at each step up until the cat replacement that is is isnt those...

Old 06-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Fefanatic
Elder User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most states require at least a 30 warranty. It may be parts only or labor only or 50-50. Does Virginia have any regulations that could help out? I agree with all above, get the dealer involved in it also. If he isn't a fly by night dealer he will probably step up to the plate and make it right.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Barty88
Senior User
Old 06-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Barty88
Senior User
$750 for plugs and wires. Good god... wth?!?! I understand times have changed, this isn't a $40 'tune up' like the olds days and you cant just grab 8 plugs, a cap and a rotor for $30 anymore but my lord..... $750!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.