1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First issue with my new 2015 f250

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Barty88
$750 for plugs and wires. Good god... wth?!?! I understand times have changed, this isn't a $40 'tune up' like the olds days and you cant just grab 8 plugs, a cap and a rotor for $30 anymore but my lord..... $750!!!
Just be glad it's not a early 3 valve with two piece spark plugs. Even in the 60's I wouldn't replace a condenser when doing a tune up. I would replace points and if the old ones still looked OK I wouldn't bother the condenser. This after I replaced condensers that would fail in a few days. If it wasn't broke I wasn't fixing it. My customers understood and agreed.

Now in your case again I wouldn't be changing coils just to change them. You could get a worse part than you already have. FWIW, welcome to the world of computer controls all. Parts aren't cheap anymore.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:56 PM
jsukey
Tuned
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Did the owner of the car lot give you the middle finger, or what?

Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Barty88
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsukey
Did the owner of the car lot give you the middle finger, or what?
Hasnt replied to my emails, yet... still waitring. And the wait liost to get into any mechanic around here is weeks.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
It's a lot easier to ignore a email than a phone call or showing up in person. I would already been in his face over this.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 PM
leadmic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 166 Likes on 121 Posts
$750 for plugs and wires. Good god... wth?!?! I understand times have changed, this isn't a $40 'tune up' like the olds days and you cant just grab 8 plugs, a cap and a rotor for $30 anymore but my lord..... $750!!!
I replaced the plugs and wires myself, it cost me less than $150 and four hours of my time.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 AM
Barty88
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fefanatic
It's a lot easier to ignore a email than a phone call or showing up in person. I would already been in his face over this.
Unfortunately I bought it in Virginia and I live in Vermont. I plan on being more 'vocal' but first need to see what is wrong. If its just plugs and wires I may have to eat it... if its more I definitely will be more front and center and will file in small claims court here if it gets to that.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:10 AM
Barty88
Senior User
Originally Posted by leadmic
I replaced the plugs and wires myself, it cost me less than $150 and four hours of my time.
Im only 46 and moderately mechanically inlcined, its all the electronics and new setup that make me nervous. I'm not lazy or inept, just inexperienced on anything new. I havent changed a set of plugs since I did on my '84 f-150 20 years ago. I also watched a video and the guy said he was a 25 year former mechanic and his description was using about 15 different tools and extensions I just dont have, 3 foot breaker bar, magnetic sockets, swivel arms, extensions, torque, etc. I have a good set of wratchets and a couple extenions and am nervous I may do something wrong or get stuck on one or two and have a dead truck I cant move sittting in my driveway.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:14 AM
jsukey
Tuned
I would've personally been trying to contact him on the phone the moment I had an issue. This may be worth a shot at checking the maintenance schedule. Go to MyCAFAX . com and create an account. From there, you can enter your VIN number into your garage and it will show you a great deal of info about your vehicle. It showed me right off the bat that all of the scheduled maintenance was up to date. It's a free website as well.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:33 AM
Barty88
Senior User
I would've personally been trying to contact him on the phone the moment I had an issue. This may be worth a shot at checking the maintenance schedule. Go to MyCAFAX . com and create an account. From there, you can enter your VIN number into your garage and it will show you a great deal of info about your vehicle. It showed me right off the bat that all of the scheduled maintenance was up to date. It's a free website as well.
Its not showing anything that isnt on the carfax, which isnt much besides the fact it passed safety inspections in Texas and the recent one in Viriginia. It says "services performed" but has no more details in notes on what services. It does say, however, that the emmisions inspection is "overdue", which is interesting. Not sure what that means however as different states have different rules (especially California) and this may be something they didnt have to do. Not sure legally what recourse I have... I can get all heated and threaten litigation, but at the end of the day I may not have a leg to stand on... right or wrong. It all seems to hinge on what I can prove they knew before the sale. The timing of the check engine light as well as the fact that its listed as overdue for the emissions inspection bodes well for my case.

I'd like tro think you cant just buy a truck at auction, clean it up and do a 'safety inspection' (meaning it drioves, the brakes work and its no blowing exhauist directly into the cab) and then turn around and sell it for top dollar with no culpability or risk.... or I am in the wrong business. Especially since you have to have a 'license' to be a delaer and there 'should' be some sort of governing body over seeing theese transactions and keeping dealers honest.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:40 AM
jsukey
Tuned
I wouldn't go in there guns blazing! Just inform him of what is going on. It's always better to do that sooner than later. Some people do actually have a conscience, and will be willing to help you when they're in the wrong. It never hurts to try.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:44 AM
Barty88
Senior User
Originally Posted by leadmic
Leadmic... do you have a part number for the wires by chance? Trying to at least buy my own parts and maybe save a buck there, but on ebay anyway it looks like the tiele definitely says 'set' but shows just a picture of one. Dont want to buy these wire by wire:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dca...d%7CMotorcraft

That price seems too cheap to be genuine Ford OEM replacement and for a set of one whole side... but theres a bunch listed that way for each side.
There are other rbands too but thinking I should just stick with stock OEM Motorcraft and 'Thundercore' or 'Denso' are not as good or am I wrong?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2013-20...YAAOSwNOxbn0TL

Old 06-11-2019, 06:55 AM
Akley88
Cargo Master
Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
Its not showing anything that isnt on the carfax, which isnt much besides the fact it passed safety inspections in Texas and the recent one in Viriginia. It says "services performed" but has no more details in notes on what services. It does say, however, that the emmisions inspection is "overdue", which is interesting. Not sure what that means however as different states have different rules (especially California) and this may be something they didnt have to do. Not sure legally what recourse I have... I can get all heated and threaten litigation, but at the end of the day I may not have a leg to stand on... right or wrong. It all seems to hinge on what I can prove they knew before the sale. The timing of the check engine light as well as the fact that its listed as overdue for the emissions inspection bodes well for my case.
depending on the registered weight of the truck it looks like it is emissions exempt in VA. Here in PA it is the same way for my truck its registered at 10k GVW so no emissions testing. So here i could just reset the computer and its not an issue.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:58 AM
jsukey
Tuned
Texas does not do emissions testing on diesels. So there is your answer for that.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:02 AM
Barty88
Senior User
Texas does not do emissions testing on diesels. So there is your answer for that.
Its not a diesel... if that matters.... its the 6.2

Old 06-11-2019, 07:07 AM
jsukey
Tuned
Its not a diesel... if that matters.... its the 6.2
Dang it...you already told me that once, but I forgot. My bad. Yes, it would have been tested for emissions. You even said that the Carfax showed that, but I still didn't put two and two together. Texas emissions inspections are required annually, which is more that likely why yours is showing overdue. It was transferred out of state, and will continue to show overdue until the new registration catches up to the Carfax.

Quick Reply: First issue with my new 2015 f250