Notices

14 F-250 strange AC issue

Old 06-08-2019, 07:56 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
14 F-250 strange AC issue

2014 F250 XLT 4X4 with 6.2 gas engine.
a few times now( three times so far this year) when i first start the truck, the ac will cycle like it is low on charge and only put 65-70 degree air out the vents.
but if you shut the truck off for one-two minutes then restart, it works fine(42-46 degrees out of vents)
any ideas of what i should look at?

Old 06-08-2019, 10:12 AM
alloro
alloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant future
Have you had gauges on it yet to verify the charge?

Old 06-08-2019, 10:32 AM
projectSHO89
Post Fiend
projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.projectSHO89 has a spectacular reputation.
If there was a problem with the charge, it wouldn't work normally upon restart. However, if the gauges can be slapped on there when it fails and still is in failure mode, the numbers would likely be very useful.

any ideas of what i should look at?
I'd be looking at the engine cooling fans the next time it "fails". BTW, does that thing still have the viscous-type fan clutch or was it finally migrated to electric fans? Haven't looked at the "newer" F250s yet.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:09 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
it has an electric fan clutch on it. it did it again this afternoon, and i was able to look at a few things because i had the tablet on it with torque open. it appears the fan clutch is not locking until 210 degrees coolant temp.
it was 78 degrees vent temp and 125 degrees coolant temp when i left the parents house. once out on the road vent temps dropped down to 42 degrees at 45 MPH.
coolant temps went up to 194, then down to 186. and held 186-188 until i stopped for gas, when they slowly climbed. at 210 they started dropping again. so i am assuming the fan kicked on. then held 1886-188 until i got home 2 miles and parked

Old 06-30-2019, 07:13 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
update:
it appears there is an issue with the fan clutch.
it will not engage until engine comes full up to temp. with ambient temps holding around 90 degrees the past few days, when i start the truck with ac on the fan will not engage and ac will not work until i start moving. once moving and i get airflow over the condenser, vent temps drop form over 135 degrees down to an eventual 41-42 degrees.

now for a bit of back story:
in january a very large cat climbed into the rad shroud after i parked at work. when i got in the truck to go home, it tried to get out but got stuck in the fan. when i started the engine, the cats body tore out the fan clutch wires, about 3 foot of wiring on the passenger side of the engine, and a bunch of vacuum lines.
$1300 and three days later i got the truck back.
i did not notice the issue with the fan until it started getting hot.
i am wondering if there is an issue with the fan clutch, or if there is a switch in the AC circuit somewhere that is bad?

Old 06-30-2019, 09:58 AM
lonewolf_
Senior User
lonewolf_ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
wow ... what a CATastrophe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.