Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Best, reliable HPOP to buy? (For 2004.5 )

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 06-06-2019, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke2004.5
Freshman User
Powerstroke2004.5 is starting off with a positive reputation.

What is the best and most reliable built HPOP om market that I can install in my 6.0. 2004.5?

Old 06-06-2019, 07:09 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Mark usually recommends the Adrenaline from DieselSite.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:18 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
With his conditions of "best and most reliable" .......................

Powerstroke2004.5 - The Adrenaline pump is expensive, but it is pump with a very good reliability record (as far as internet forum information can determine). Lots of good posts for a lot of years, and have yet to find a bad experience.

You might read this thread to see a couple of sides on the choices:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ied-on-me.html

All I can say is if you go OEM - get the suction side CLEAN (including the oil cooler sump and replace the oil cooler sump screen), check the backlash, and prime the pump before starting. Probably a good idea on any pump you install, but it seems necessary on some.

Also, if you do buy an OEM pump, get it from a vendor who has a reputation for good customer service (XDP is one). Theirs is $300 (+ or -) less than the Adrenaline. Buying an OEM pump from AutoNation White Bear lake (ANWBL) will save you over $100 more, but who knows how shipping costs impact that. ANWBL is a vendor over on PowerStroke.org and they are VERY good. FICMrepair.com sells OEM parts and price matches. Their customer service is second to none IMO.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke2004.5
Freshman User
Powerstroke2004.5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
And how would you prime the pump before starting?

Old 06-06-2019, 08:37 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
One member here pulls a vacuum on it. I will defer to others on what is necessary in that regard.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Visurveyor
Senior User
Visurveyor is starting off with a positive reputation.
I also am curious on this priming process. I will be receiving my hpop from xtrem in next day or so, and would like to do what is best to make sure i get a good life out of my hpop.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:51 AM
npccpartsman
Post Fiend
npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
AFA priming the HPO system, I filled everything that I could with oil as I assembled. Filling the oil rails helps quite a bit. On a newly rebuilt motor (from dry) I got mine to crank within 15 seconds by filling as I went. It also helps to have a starter that cranks faster than stock. The best piece of advice I can give is to BE PATIENT and don't cook your starter, FICM, or batteries from over cranking. After you get it started the first time it will take some medium to hard throttle runs to get the air worked out of the system , so expect some extended crank to starts if you shut it off before doing that.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:38 PM
Texas Bob
Senior User
Texas Bob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Texas Bob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
In December 2018, I was pulling my trailer to Rockport, TX on the bypass around Beeville, TX. I noticed the engine was running rough so I took the business route through Beeville. Luckily, I ended up coasting to a stop in front of the local Ford dealer. The short version of the problem was that the HPOP was broken and two injectors were not working. The HPOP had been replaced at the local Ford dealer in Lewisville, TX with a Ford rebuilt HPOP a few days less than two years before along with a turbo and other things. The Ford warranty was for two years on the HPOP parts and labor and Ford honored the warranty. This HPOP had less than 7K miles on it and at that time the truck at about 102K miles on the engine. I had to pay about $2,500 for the non HPOP repairs and I spent three days camped in the Ford dealershp parking lot while they fixed the truck. Given the amount of labor and parts involved, I felt the cost was fair.

With that said, I conclude the following:

1. The Ford rebuilt HPOP is not reliable as experienced by me and others on this forum.
2. Based on comments by Bismic and other folks, the Adrenaline HPOP from DieselSite would probably be a better replacement. I have done business with DieselSite before on other items and they are honorable folks.
3. I starting to believe that my trips to the coast are jinxed.
4. i was lucky to make it to the Ford dealer and like all repairs I have had at various Ford dealers on the road, I was pleased with their commitment and service.
5. Ford definitely put some crap in these trucks. Various people at the dealership advised me if I intended to replace the 6.0, I should go to a 6.7 for reliability.

Just one man's opinion.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:41 PM
BLADE35
Post Fiend
BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Powerstroke2004.5 View Post
What is the best and most reliable built HPOP om market that I can install in my 6.0. 2004.5?

Loaded question here

Old 06-06-2019, 01:50 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Loaded answer given.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:40 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
In addition to Tim's helpful post above, IIRC it is recommended to pull the oil cooler, clean out the sump, flush the line to the HPOP, and replace the screen.

My understanding is that if an HPOP fails and an air test is done, it could push trash backwards to the oil cooler sump.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:03 AM
Fuzzpuss
Senior User
Fuzzpuss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've had the Dieselsite stock output hpop for 3.5 years with no issues. Is there something about the Adrenaline pump, other than higher output, Mark, that makes it better? Or is that just how you refer to the Dieselsite pumps in general?

As for priming, I don't think it even crossed my mind when replacing the pump or when I replaced the discharge tube at a later date. And I've never had any starting issues either, knock on wood.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:07 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fuzzpuss View Post
I've had the Dieselsite stock output hpop for 3.5 years with no issues. Is there something about the Adrenaline pump, other than higher output, Mark, that makes it better? Or is that just how you refer to the Dieselsite pumps in general?

As for priming, I don't think it even crossed my mind when replacing the pump or when I replaced the discharge tube at a later date. And I've never had any starting issues either, knock on wood.
The Adrenaline comes in stock output or high output. Quite frankly, not many people need HPOP output that exceeds the stock performance.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:21 AM
Fuzzpuss
Senior User
Fuzzpuss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I guess where I get confused is at the top of their description it says "Stock Output or Dieselsite Adrenaline High Output", which suggests that the Adrenaline descriptor only applies to the high output pump. That's why I always called mine the Dieselsite hpop. Just sayin'.

https://www.dieselsite.com/2003-2004...lpumphpop.aspx

Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
I have always assumed that they are both "Adrenaline" pumps.

I say that because of the description -
The stock output Heavy Duty version has all the same upgrades as the high output version in regards to durability. This option is for stock injectors up through 190cc. It is a perfect option for those not looking for High performance parts as the longevity - in theory - might prove better on these units as one would presume. Our "Stock Output" is slightly larger in volume than a stock pump.

I see your point though - maybe they don't call the stock one an Adrenaline pump.

I love their statement :

THIS IS A FAIRLY COMPLICATED INSTALL FOR THE DO IT YOURSELFER. IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE PROCEDURE, LOCATION OF YOUR PUMP OR SCANNING METHODS THEN THIS MAY NOT BE THE MOD FOR YOU. THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED FOR THE 6.0L INSTALL.

One place I saw them say that they assumed the purchaser knows how to properly install the pump. Interesting since the OEM pumps come w/ some very specific instructions, lol!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.