6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Got my oil cooler out, now I have some questions pertaining to truck reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 07:52 AM
gpeade
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my oil cooler out, now I have some questions pertaining to truck reassembly

I removed my oil cooler yesterday because its clogged and needs replacing. Couple questions when it come to reassembling everything. First question is about turbo bolts. Mine only had one of the three installed. I found another one in the valley along with the spacer washer. The third bolt is MIA. My question is do all three bolts use that spacer washer? My truck is a May 2003 build date with all three bolts positioned horizontally with the rear bolt facing forward.
Second question is do I need to replace the ERG cooler hose or are they reusable? This one has already been updated at some point because it is the blue hose.
And that leaves my to my third question which is more of wanting opinions as there is no right/wrong answer. I am still undecided on deleting the EGR or not. My plan was to remove it and weld freeze plugs in each end and put it all back in place. But after removing everything I noticed the cooler exterior was somewhat cleaner than everything else under there. As if it may have already been replaced. The missing turbo bolts, blue EGR cooler hose and couple other random bolts in the valley are obvious signs that someone has been in there at some point. My EGR cooler is a Garrett brand so it is stock and not aftermarket. I have read that these years were the strongest coolers Ford used. Honestly I would rather not delete it and put everything back full functioning as it was designed to be but on the flip side I don't want to be back in here in a couple years because it ruptured. I currently have no signs of coolant lose and both the exhaust pipe inlet and intake are clean and dry.
I currently do not live in an area that has emissions testing but who knows what tomorrow will bring and I plan on keeping this truck for years to come.

Thanks in advance for ya'lls input and suggestions.
Gerald

Old 06-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Soler25
Freshman User
For the Turbo Bolts, I always replace them, and the o-rings/seals. Cheap insurance. 3C3Z-9T514-AG is the Turbo Bolt and seal Kit. Can be found
here here

EGR hose is reusable, especially if it is the updated Blue hose, and of course assuming it is in good shape.

Keeping EGR is up to you. Mine is deleted, as I never want to go into the valley again... If you want to keep it, I would suggest a BFD upgraded one. This has no "correct/right" answer.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 AM
gpeade
Elder User
I'm with you on the bolt kit. Got one coming with the cooler. I was curious about the spacers. The one bolt that was installed had about a 3/8 - 1/2 spacer under the head on it. Is there supposed to be one of those on all three bolts? From all the pictures they are not part of the install kit.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:43 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by gpeade
I'm with you on the bolt kit. Got one coming with the cooler. I was curious about the spacers. The one bolt that was installed had about a 3/8 - 1/2 spacer under the head on it. Is there supposed to be one of those on all three bolts? From all the pictures they are not part of the install kit.
The 03 turbo requires a spacer because it uses a different pedestal. I've not seen an install kit come without the spacers, but they could be MIA now. AFA only having 2 bolts in the turbo, a LOT of tech's I know don't replace the back bolt because it's such a PIA and I've never really noticed a difference myself. AFA replacing the bolts with new every time there's not any real reason to do so.

BTW..... Is that your dog in your avatar? I love English Bully's. Had 2 that lived for 12 years each and sure miss mine. Best kid dogs EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 AM
gpeade
Elder User
[QUOTE=npccpartsman;18688760

BTW..... Is that your dog in your avatar? I love English Bully's. Had 2 that lived for 12 years each and sure miss mine. Best kid dogs EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Was my dog unfortunately. He was a rescue and the first Bully I had ever owned. He was approx. 3 when I got him and just the sweetest thing you ever seen. Unfortunately he is no longer with us. We currently have two other recues with one being part Pit. He is a softy as well. One day again we plan on having another Bully and hope he is as good at this one was.

Back to the topic...so the dealer just delivered my parts. Completely wrong oil cooler. It was in a box that looked more like it should be an EGR cooler. The bolt kit for the turbo was completely wrong as well. Claimed both parts were what Ford recommended based on my VIN. Gotta love it when they change parts multiple time sin a production year. Real nightmare sometimes. Anyway right parts are on the shelf and he will be back this afternoon with them. Here's hoping they are right this time. According to part numbers I found online they will be.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:32 PM
gpeade
Elder User
Couple more questions

Do I need to replace the gaskets where the up pipe mounts to the EGR cooler? What about the o ring and gasket where the cooler mounts to the intake manifold? Under the intake where the coolant returns to the block is a large O-ring/seal. Do I need to replace that? In all the threads about oil cooler swap I have never heard these items mentioned so I’m not sure if they are reusable or not. Lastly, if I do need to replace any, is OE the way to go or will the ones from local parts stores work?

Old 06-06-2019, 06:27 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
The thread where I replaced my EGR and Oil coolers is still up from back in 2012, lol. There are a bunch of pictures, part numbers and torques if you want to scan through it. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...many-pics.html

here’s the egr cooler kit. I’d stay with the Ford stuff myself, not even sure what’s available aftermarket for a lot of this stuff.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:26 AM
gpeade
Elder User
Thanks man!. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Great thread also. I'm elbow deep in the process right now. Taking my time during projects at work. Flushed cooling system Saturday, Disassembled everything and got the oil cooler out Monday. Got the oil cooler swapped in the housing yesterday and broke open the turbo. Hopefully will get the turbo clean and back together today and with a little luck get the cooler installed in the block. My plan is to drive it home Saturday afternoon sometime.
You and several others specifically are the reason I am even under the hood of this thing as opposed to deep in my pocket to pay a shop. Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2019, 02:56 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Good luck with it! It’s not bad really, there are a few things that are waiting to scratch up your knuckles, . I did get tired of leaning over the front of such a tall truck, particularly knees and legs. I’m sure I could do one faster now (and I have) but back then I was scratching my head a lot, and taking pictures and beer breaks and waiting on parts. I’ve never been comfortable driving something that I had no idea what was going on under the hood anyway and I knew it needed some attention before other things started messing up. I didn’t want to spend the $$ if I could do it myself....maybe, lol. I would still have to think hard about pullin the cylinder heads at home without a lift. For me, that would be engine out, new engine stand, etc. maybe too much. I’d probably end up thinking and progressing like Jack (toomanytoys) except with a lot less engineering knowledge than he has.