General Automotive Discussion

After reading this, my next truck might be a Toyota

Old 05-29-2019, 05:56 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
After reading this, my next truck might be a Toyota

This would turn my stomach. I'm certain there would be heartache on both sides of brand loyalty. I'm just not gonna' drive a Fordolet ...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/finan...AC1TSR?ocid=se

Old 05-29-2019, 06:19 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
First off, it is just speculation. No known talks about such a deal.
Second, regulators would probably never buy in, just too big in the %of domestic market.
When it comes to pickups, they would have close to 60% of the full size domestic market, no way that would be allowed so one of the company would have to sell off there truck brands, being that it is the brightest market for both company's, it just won't make sence, get rid of your most profitable lines.
A Toyota/GM and a Ford/Honda type allance would make better sence, Toyota and Honda have strong compact and sub compact car markets and not big players in the full size truck market, it would be a better fit.
This is just my opinion, and I am very confident that NONE of the car manufacturers care what I think.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:20 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I've never understood people that personally identify with commercial brands. If a merger between the two means they can be more competitive in the global market we have today, then sweet, go for it and start kicking *** around the world. Better to have both survive in some capacity rather than neither or just one. GT Camstang Z06 anyone? lol.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:48 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by bobv60
A Toyota/GM and a Ford/Honda type allance would make better sence.
GM and Toyota DID have a joint venture years ago when the Nova was to be reintroduced basically as a GM branded Corolla. Jokes were flying back then wondering if it would be called a Toyolet. Ford and Mazda have had a long-standing relationship. I recall crawling around under a Mazda B2000 and noting all the parts marked FoMoCo.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Fordplatty15
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford has far more cash in hand than it does debt, is positive income every quarter yet they are in "Deep Trouble"?? LMAO.. what a joke of an article.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:14 PM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fordplatty15
Ford has far more cash in hand than it does debt, is positive income every quarter yet they are in "Deep Trouble"?? LMAO.. what a joke of an article.
Ford now makes zero cars. (Ok, they make the mustang, but there’s limited appeal to boomer toy purchases and mowing down crowds) Ford is WAY behind in EV development. Ford has profits which are prey much ENTIRELY based on one model line. Ford will be profitable for as long as fuel prices stay low, FS trucks stay popular, and the competition makes stuff that’s crap, or ugly, or ugly crap. If that fragile scenario changes, then Ford is in deep doo-doo.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:20 PM
SUPERTRUCKERS
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
It is more cost effective and profitable to keep loyal customers than it is to attract new ones. As long as merging companies keep their iconic brands separate, they can maintain the brand loyalty they have built up over time while behind the scenes increasing shareholder value through synergies. While some might not understand brand loyalty through the eyes of a consumer, companies do understand loyalty. I can't see this type of merger working if they end up bluring the lines between these US brands. And why would they merge to begin with, to increase brand loyalty and market share globally?! You have to consider why Chevy trucks lost market share and brand loyalty to RAM, because they tried unsuccessfully to redesign their trucks to appease new customers......I didn't think my rant would go on this long, haha

Old 05-29-2019, 08:26 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 927 Likes on 729 Posts
Doubt regulators would allow that.

Trump keeps putting pressure to not do manufacturing outside USA as well.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:48 PM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare
GM and Toyota DID have a joint venture years ago when the Nova was to be reintroduced basically as a GM branded Corolla. Jokes were flying back then wondering if it would be called a Toyolet. Ford and Mazda have had a long-standing relationship. I recall crawling around under a Mazda B2000 and noting all the parts marked FoMoCo.
Gm/Toyota partnerships go back to post WW2.
Look at and first gen landcruser with what looked just like a chev "stovebolt 6".
Ford/Mazda has ben partners in meny vehicles for many years.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:07 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
my vote for the dumbest article of the year. This is silly and anyone giving this an ounce of credence is equally silly. Ford is family controlled. That family is worth billions and F is worth probably 3x it's current market cap. Anyone that would give this article any serious consideration must still believe it's 2008.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:14 PM
Big Silver One
Junior User
I traded in my Tundra for an F250 a short time ago. I loved my Tundra. I miss my Tundra. If Toyota made a 3/4 ton truck [with appropriate engine(s)], I would have bought one in a heartbeat and without further consideration.

I bought my Tundra new and had it for over 10 years. It is a great product. Other than the gas gauge going out once, I never had any issues.

There is no 1/2 ton truck that can hold a candle to the Tundra, IMO. Sure, the gas mileage is not nearly as good as the new F150s, but the ride is soooo much better.

It was time for me to get a new, "bigger" truck. I am learning to like my F250, but it isn't a Tundra.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:17 PM
Big Silver One
Junior User
Talking

Originally Posted by SUPERTRUCKERS
It is more cost effective and profitable to keep loyal customers than it is to attract new ones.
Tell that to ****ing Xfinity/Comcast, would ya!?!?!?!?

Old 05-30-2019, 04:35 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare
Ford and Mazda have had a long-standing relationship. I recall crawling around under a Mazda B2000 and noting all the parts marked FoMoCo.
Ford once owned 1/3 of Mazda.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:47 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
Ford once owned 1/3 of Mazda.
Yup, right up till 2008. They sold off Mazda, Jaguar, Austin Martin, Volvo, and Land Rover, and killed off Mercury to stay afloat.

The last of Ford 'car' plants, Flat Rock Assembly, makes the Mustang, and the Continental. Prior to those, it made the Mazda 6.

As was also said GM and Toyota have partnered together in the past as well, most recently with the Vibe/Martix which in the US was built by Nume (I think that is how it was spelled), with a plant in Freemont Calf. That plant is now the main Telsa plant.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:31 AM
06pghescape
Laughing Gas
Received 1,377 Likes on 507 Posts
Mergers

Any body remember the Geo brand which were sold thru Chevy . That were built by a joint venture between Toyota and Gm ? Prism and the Tracker were 2 of the models.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After reading this, my next truck might be a Toyota