General Automotive Discussion

How Far is Rivian in Development of Electric Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:25 PM
Curated Content Editor
Fleet Mechanic
Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

By John Pritchard

Rivian has been testing its electric vehicles under a familiar disguise.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:47 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's investment in Rivian is one of the most interesting automotive stories of the year. Whether enthusiasts like it or not, electric vehicles are coming, but I think this shows that there will be plenty of upsides to the revolution. What do you think about this development? I think fleets would be the natural first market for these trucks, but you ever see yourself buying one?

Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
If anyone is thinking about one of these vehicles now is the time buy one. . I think they have a purpose for some and as it is right now, everyone else is picking up the tab for those things to be run on the road. No fuel/road use tax is being paid and as far as I know, most if not all charging stations are 'free'. Most 'stations' that I've seen in shopping malls also have reserved spots the challenge the HP locations. I can see why some states are thinking about charging us a per mile tax each year during inspections. IMHO electric vehicles should have been charged a per mile fee starting yesterday. Everytime I see a fancy Tesla I ask why do we have to pay for that guy to use the road for 'free' . As I said they have a purpose but it'd be nice if the playing field was level.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 PM
Johnny Mayday
FTE Town Crier
At this point, I think that the number of electric vehicles on the road is so small, a solution to charge them wouldn't even be able to break even. But as they keep climbing in number, you better believe they'll be charged. Personally, I'd hope there's a pay-by-mile solution that doesn't involve tracking you everywhere you go.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:56 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
You can be tracked now if you use a debit or charge card, own anything new and of coarse or by all the cameras out there today. Still have older vehicles, no ezpass and a old phone but it's only a matter of time before everyone is tracked anyway. They've already started documenting our mileage during the routine inspections here. There has been talk about adding the per mile fee that needs to be paid before your safety/ emission sticker can be renewed but there has been some push back since they want it in addition to all the other road use taxes we already pay. They want it as a added cash source , not as a replacement tax. Can't see any huge cost to simply collect road use tax from EV's that way. Either that or most MFG knows exactly how many miles you drive now anyway. That should be easily accessed. They need to start paying their fair share, the thing is they're not really as cheap to build, run and charge as they're claiming so we all stuck paying the price for that right now.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:04 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
As much as I hate Ohio's deplorable road conditions I'd be okay with a bit more in gasoline tax IF it really went to immediate road repair/reconstruction. I'm also for electrical vehicles being assessed some sort of fair user fee for the roads they share with the rest of us. If such fees are thought to be fair and equitable for big trucks then its equally fair for any other vehicle on our roads.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:35 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JWA
As much as I hate Ohio's deplorable road conditions I'd be okay with a bit more in gasoline tax IF it really went to immediate road repair/reconstruction..
When you look at what each state pays per mile it's kinda comical. We're in Mass. Compared to NH who for the most part has much better roads, their number are a fraction of our so called costs. Makes you wonder for sure.
https://midwestepi.org/2017/05/03/wh...in-your-state/

Old 06-01-2019, 05:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I thought alternative fueled vehicles payed a higher annual tax as there is no or limited tax to be paid at the pump.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:41 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Maybe each state does things differently. They should be charged for their use of the roads.. We don't really have any annual tax on vehicles other than a small local excise tax that's simply based on it's value. State tax on a gallon can run from .15 to 60 cents per gallon. Would hope they are charged for the same wear and tear on our roads that the rest of us are required to . As of right now the hybrids have been getting away with enough as it is. Even with an increase in overall MPG's there's been some whining about revenue. Guess it's the 'we want better fuel economy and less consumption but who's gonna pay for highway repairs when it happens " thing going on. Guessing that's why a mileage tax has been brewing for some time now. I'd be all for one as a replacement for all the other tax we pay now but I'll bet it'll be in addition to.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:49 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I thought alternative fueled vehicles payed a higher annual tax as there is no or limited tax to be paid at the pump.
In my state, we don’t have an annual tax on vehicles. We only have sales tax, and that is based on the parish you reside in, and whether or not you live in the city limits.