Notices

Almost HID

Old 10-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Tim Halliday
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost HID

Canadian Tire has started carrying Sylvania SilverStar® headlights. They (Sylvania) claim that they are almost as bright as Xenon HID Lights. Has anybody bought these lights, and are you happy or not with them? I'm thinking about getting a set for my truck, but thought I'd ask some people's opinions first.

- Tim

http://www.sylvania.ca/auto/silverstar.htm

Old 10-03-2003, 07:12 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
Well, they're not HID, of course...

But, they are much brighter than the stock bulbs in my Ranger, and definitely help out. They are a white light, and now, driving anything with older bulbs (yellow) bugs me, so I guess you just get used to it.

Truthfully, I ran out and bought them the minute they came out.
If I had it to do over again, I'd wait until the current ones blew out, and worry about it then. They're nice, but they're not going to be what you expect them to.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:13 PM
13hondacr250
Posting Guru
I wish they would get rid of the blue headlights. They really bother me. There fine for brights but then those shouldn't be on when going by someone.

My buddy got a set for his Dodge. They work good. Spendy.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought Silverstars for my 99 and love them compared to the stock lights.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:31 AM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
i wish they wouldnt have those either, its really hard to see when you're driving and someone else has really bright lights.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:44 PM
Tim Halliday
Senior User
It finally happened. I blew a head light, then went straight to Canadian Tire and got a set of SilverStars. I'll be installing them in the morning.

Old 11-29-2003, 12:31 AM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish people would just use normal headlights, nothing is more annoying that getting blinded by someones super bright lights, I make sure to flick on the KC Daylighters real quick when someone blinds me The stock lights are adaquite if you ask me.

Old 11-29-2003, 01:00 AM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
aren't the silver stars supposed to burn out faster than regular lights?

Old 11-29-2003, 03:26 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Moved...

Old 11-29-2003, 07:45 AM
Knobby4604X4
Senior User
The Silvers are not brighter than stock. They are much more white. I switched and noticed a better definition at the edge of the road. You will not be overly excited about your new 'performance' headlights. I will, however, buy another set of the Silvers when these go!
As for the stock lights being adequate - my 94 F250 stock bulbs are not even close to acceptable. I drive alot at night and have found the yellow stock bulb color doesn't penetrate the darkness very well. The white light of the Silvers help a bit, but I would switch to the HID setup in a second if I could afford it.
If you are getting blinded by someone's super bright lights, that person doesn't have their lights correctly aimed (assuming they aren't using high beams). Many import enthusiasts around here will add the wings and the sound systems to the rear of their cars, and don't realize that the rear end squats down a bit, raising the headlight point-of-aim. Then they run out and get driving lights to make up for the lack of light on the road, and blind us all.

Old 12-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Tim Halliday
Senior User
I have them installed now, and the differance is like night & day...
The light is much whiter than stock lights and the light spread is much more uniform with the highbeams. They sure make driving on the clay back roads nicer by allowing me to see holes & ruts in the road. I don't think I'll ever go back to stock lights again.

Old 12-04-2003, 09:38 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
Originally posted by acerockola77
I wish people would just use normal headlights, nothing is more annoying that getting blinded by someones super bright lights, I make sure to flick on the KC Daylighters real quick when someone blinds me The stock lights are adaquite if you ask me.
Then I'd throw on my brights and you would really be blinded.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Mwachel
Senior User
Originally posted by acerockola77
Yeah, use your KC's...stupid idea. That is dangerous and illegal.

Silverstars are NOT blue lights. They are NOT higher wattage than stock. They ARE a whiter light which makes it easier to see at night.

Old 12-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Tim Halliday
Senior User
Silverstars are NOT blue lights. They are NOT higher wattage than stock. They ARE a whiter light which makes it easier to see at night.
Which means that they should not hurt oncoming drivers' eyes any more than a stock light....

Old 12-13-2003, 01:17 AM
Mwachel
Senior User
Originally posted by Tim Halliday
Which means that they should not hurt oncoming drivers' eyes any more than a stock light....
Actually, yellow light is easier on the eyes than white light is. Silverstars are a more pure white than stock bulbs thus harder on the eyes. White light also makes it easier to see at night since it is closer to daylight than yellowish light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Almost HID