P1316 and super rough idle, no power

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by STANdoner
Ha, funny you should mention that.
I plugged my SCT device in (I use it as a huge cluster when driving) and all readings were with in a few tenths and in speck.
We are back on the road heading south!!!!!

A huge thank you to all that commented and helped, you all are an amazing resource.
I will do a proper write up and post it once I stop driving. I think that there is a lot of learning in my experience.
OUTSTANDING AND WOOOOOOHOOOOO!

As a thanks, you can post a few pictures of your journey if/when you get the time. We love pictures, especially ones with food, dogs, trucks, trees... well just about anything...

Reps sent for knocking out the issues and getting back on your epic journey!

Old 06-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm a little late... sorry.

I was going to say Giotto (the newest AE) has a lot of slipped decimals. You change the scale factor to end up with 14.8 PSI, and that would put you at about sea level. Even if the BARO reading was bad on the OBDII, I'd just drive it. I haven't had a lot of luck with E99 PCMs giving me the same reliable info I've come to appreciate on the later PCMs.

Congrats on surviving the ordeal - you now have a great story to share!

If you're thinking you wasted money, consider this: A sprinkle in the fuel bowl is manageable, but that filter ain't no Noah's Ark... it cannot contend with a flood of water. Given water in the IDM and water in the fuel tank/bowl, it almost seems like you drove through an inundation. I have dried out electronics with mixed results, but no amount of drying will fix the nozzles on injectors that passed water. I would not be surprised if you really did lose some injectors... or at least lost their ability to atomize the fuel properly. Feel confident that the trip to Florida was not wasted, and you likely now have a 7.3L in better condition than when you left home - to safely carry you through the rest of your trip.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 PM
STANdoner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
OUTSTANDING AND WOOOOOOHOOOOO!

As a thanks, you can post a few pictures of your journey if/when you get the time. We love pictures, especially ones with food, dogs, trucks, trees... well just about anything...

Reps sent for knocking out the issues and getting back on your epic journey!
I would love to post a few photos! Where shall I put them?
We have a blog but I'm not sure if it would be breaking any rules to mention it? We do not advertise on it or monetize it in any way.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:41 PM
STANdoner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I'm a little late... sorry.

I was going to say Giotto (the newest AE) has a lot of slipped decimals. You change the scale factor to end up with 14.8 PSI, and that would put you at about sea level. Even if the BARO reading was bad on the OBDII, I'd just drive it. I haven't had a lot of luck with E99 PCMs giving me the same reliable info I've come to appreciate on the later PCMs.

Congrats on surviving the ordeal - you now have a great story to share!

If you're thinking you wasted money, consider this: A sprinkle in the fuel bowl is manageable, but that filter ain't no Noah's Ark... it cannot contend with a flood of water. Given water in the IDM and water in the fuel tank/bowl, it almost seems like you drove through an inundation. I have dried out electronics with mixed results, but no amount of drying will fix the nozzles on injectors that passed water. I would not be surprised if you really did lose some injectors... or at least lost their ability to atomize the fuel properly. Feel confident that the trip to Florida was not wasted, and you likely now have a 7.3L in better condition than when you left home - to safely carry you through the rest of your trip.
Thanks @Tugly I can feel a big difference in the throttle response just in the short drive today! My next order of business is to get a new fuel tank sent to Peru! Should be a fun adventure in its own right!
Thanks again for all the help, I am now a life time member!

Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
I would love to post a few photos! Where shall I put them?
You can post them in the morning coffee thread in the link below.

This thread is our "off-topic" talk about current events and happenings going on thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ee-thread.html

If you have time, browse through it a bit and get a taste of what we as a community talk about in the thread.

Happy travels to you and your family!

Old 06-07-2019, 04:41 PM
STANdoner
Senior User

A quick update
8 new injectors
New IDM
New UVCH and gasket
New IPR (Motorcraft)
I ran the CCT and while running recorded the CRV(cylinder rotational velocity) and EOT (engine oil temp), here is what I got
The CCT produced a- P0269 - Cylinder 3 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault
Cylinder 3 shows a value of between 3.6% and 4.6%
Cylinder 6 is around 2.5%
all the rest hover below 1%
I think that it sounds more "ticky" but that may just be the new injectors?

Old 06-07-2019, 09:06 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Surprised 8 isn't up a bit higher too. As I mentioned, it has to do with the newer version of the CPS. If you were to swap #1 and #3 injectors and do the test again after running the air out of the heads, I bet the test would still show the #3 hole with similar readings, and the old "problem" injector from #3 would read just fine.

Remember. If the truck is running good, don't let the scanner make you go chase problems that aren't there.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:30 PM
STANdoner
Senior User
Ok I'm sorry but after my last experience I'm a little paranoid.
Drove about 1.75 hours, at Sea level, EOT about 200F, warm outside, AC running, half tank fuel - stopped at traffic light and motor surged and then dies. Started right back up and drove off with a little erratic throttle response.
Again 15 mins later we slowed down to almost idle and it did the same.
Barometric pressure sensor reading is 8.53 and never changes, I will run a few tests when I stop tonight.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
STANdoner: I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but would you mind showing your fuel filter, just so I can be sure that the fuel delamination contamination horse is truly dead? Do you have sparkles in your fuel bowl when you remove your fuel filter?

Old 06-10-2019, 06:56 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
...Barometric pressure sensor reading is 8.53 and never changes, I will run a few tests when I stop tonight.
The BARO is the most boring PID in the whole truck, unless you're skydiving while behind the wheel. Time spent on that is time not chasing the real problem.

As mentioned, I'd ignore the #3 PERDEL for now... even though that's higher than normal for a known-good CPS. Did you read those numbers in gear? I've seen situations where the prior injector in the firing order had a fueling issue, but the following injector popped high on the PERDEL. Remember... this is PERcent DELta - meaning it's the difference late OR early. Still... 5% is not a dead hole (miss) - it'a a slightly rough idle.

The stalling thing - that's more of a concern. Ford or IH CPS? Have you tried contact cleaner on your 42-pin connector, ICP, valve cover gasket, CPS, and other ke connectors? I De-Oxit everything I touch, and it has made for some far more reliable electronics at work, on my boat, in the truck, in my wife's car, etc.... I also have jugs of dielectric grease - good for keeping contacts away from harsh environments.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:52 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Question on the Baro. Would an undated PCM work on the early 99 trucks so you don't have a separate Baro? I never see a problem except when at high altitude and starting from a stop. Then it smokes till you get going with a little to no weight trailer. Hate this. Am going up this year to the grand tetons with my heavy 5th wheel and don't want this happening. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 06-10-2019, 12:19 PM
STANdoner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
The BARO is the most boring PID in the whole truck, unless you're skydiving while behind the wheel. Time spent on that is time not chasing the real problem.

As mentioned, I'd ignore the #3 PERDEL for now... even though that's higher than normal for a known-good CPS. Did you read those numbers in gear? I've seen situations where the prior injector in the firing order had a fueling issue, but the following injector popped high on the PERDEL. Remember... this is PERcent DELta - meaning it's the difference late OR early. Still... 5% is not a dead hole (miss) - it'a a slightly rough idle.

The stalling thing - that's more of a concern. Ford or IH CPS? Have you tried contact cleaner on your 42-pin connector, ICP, valve cover gasket, CPS, and other ke connectors? I De-Oxit everything I touch, and it has made for some far more reliable electronics at work, on my boat, in the truck, in my wife's car, etc.... I also have jugs of dielectric grease - good for keeping contacts away from harsh environments.
Agreed, I will ignore the BARO for now and focus on the stalling issue.

"Ford or IH CPS?" I replaced the CAM position sensor about a year ago with a OEM version (the gray one) and have a spare(same part) with me. I had a similar problem in the past but the recent issues have just been a priority. It is strange that -
It only happens after it has been running and is up at operational temp
It only happens when the truck comes down from above 1000 rpm.
It starts back up on the first try with minimum cranking.

I pulled the fuel filter and there is evidence of rust and paint from the tank in the fuel bowl and on the outside of the filter. This is super surprising as I am also running a pre-filter between the tank and the pump on the frame rail (40 microns). I have dropped the tank and cleaned it twice in the past 3 months.
I have been trying to find a way to get a new tank for some time but it seems that U-jointoffroad only makes it for non Quigley 4x4 conversions (on both the "New Aluminum" and shortened steel tanks), they told me to contact Quigley directly so I will do that today and see where I can get a tank.
Seems like this is a big problem that I need to solve before I eat more injectors or worse a HPOP.
Arghhhh!

Old 06-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
STANdoner: @F250_ Pete verified that there was a non-serviceable filter inside the frame rail pump. It can get clogged. There has been some discussion recently about possibly disconnecting the fuel filter side and switching the wires (with jumpers?) to run the pump backwards to try to flush out the caught debris. If you do this, please catch what is flushed out if anything and report back that this technique does or does not work.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:40 PM
STANdoner
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
STANdoner: @F250_ Pete verified that there was a non-serviceable filter inside the frame rail pump. It can get clogged. There has been some discussion recently about possibly disconnecting the fuel filter side and switching the wires (with jumpers?) to run the pump backwards to try to flush out the caught debris. If you do this, please catch what is flushed out if anything and report back that this technique does or does not work.
OK thanks, I will look into this.
Seems strange that it would only happen when the rpm comes down? It can not hurt to clean the entire fuel system to make sure all the rust and paint is removed.
I will keep the thread going as it sounds like a lot of people are having similar issue.
Anyone have photos of the fuel rail pump or more info on how this would be done?

Old 06-10-2019, 03:11 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I believe that "running the pump backwards" is still just a theory.

Quick Reply: P1316 and super rough idle, no power