2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Hot gear oil smell - found this

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 03:37 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
I'm at 110,000 miles and the underside of my truck is dry as a bone from one end to the other (knock on wood).
Thanks - that's good to hear. Hopefully this is just a fluke. The truck drives fine, no issues that I know of.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Sheepdogg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks to me like the seal was not properly installed at the factory. Very rare (like never) for one to "back out" on it's own the way yours appears.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:22 PM
PentaPop
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
Thank you. Have you towed/hauled heavy since the seal was replaced? We've hauled heavy but not abused the rig in any way. I only have ~16K miles on the truck and wouldn't expect to have a seal going out already unless there were some defect?
Not heavy but pulled about 5k for 2300 miles in April and it hasn’t leaked a drop. Getting ready to roll over 19k miles on the truck so close to you on mileage.

I’ve seen a few posts about the rear output shaft seal leaking so we’re not alone. Maybe a bad batch of seals?!? Mine was built in March/18.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:26 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PentaPop
Mine was built in March/18.
Mine was built October of 2016, so I don't know. Also not sure why it started spraying oil only in the last couple of days - at least, so I could smell it. Pretty sure I would've noticed it before this if it's been doing it the whole time...?

Old 05-21-2019, 05:32 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
The dealer confirmed the seal needs replacing and will be doing so under warranty. Happy to say they think the new seal will be here before the weekend so I can use the truck over the long weekend for hauling the TC.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
my 2013 is dry as a bone.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll have to check mine.. I get a whiff of something every now and then and haven't traced it down yet.. but haven't crawled under it either.. and mine was built just after yours, just before Thanksgiving 16.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Xwild
I'll have to check mine.. I get a whiff of something every now and then and haven't traced it down yet.. but haven't crawled under it either.. and mine was built just after yours, just before Thanksgiving 16.
Good to get under the truck now and again to make sure all is well. Apparently on the larger Super Duties you also want to keep an eye on the rear differential seal.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
ps. And again, I just have to give my dealer a huge shoutout - they continue to take great care of our vehicles.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Looks to me like it's been leaking for a while based on the dirty oil stain. A little oil will go a long way but it takes some time to accumulate some grime. Doubt it was low on oil. How many miles?

Old 05-21-2019, 09:22 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Looks to me like it's been leaking for a while based on the dirty oil stain. A little oil will go a long way but it takes some time to accumulate some grime. Doubt it was low on oil. How many miles?
16,700 miles on the truck. We live down a half mile of dirt road and she's my daily driver. We also just did a few hundred miles touring our great state with the TC. Plenty of which was down dusty dirt roads. I only smelled that aroma after the trip and after hauling water. I tend to pay close attention to my equipment - pretty sure I caught it relatively quickly.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 205 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheepdogg
That pinion seal flange should be seated flush with housing. Output shaft seal, my bad...
I don't think that's a seal. It spins with the driveshaft. My '19 looks exactly the same and hasn't leaked a bit. What looks like a seal in the picture is probably there to keep things out of the seal that wrap up around the u-joint.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:36 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sport45
I don't think that's a seal. It spins with the driveshaft. My '19 looks exactly the same and hasn't leaked a bit. What looks like a seal in the picture is probably there to keep things out of the seal that wrap up around the u-joint.
That flanged part on the seal isn't supposed to be flush up against the body of the transfer case?? I don't see how that can spin with the driveshaft. And in my case, then where is the oil coming from?

Old 05-22-2019, 09:53 PM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 205 Likes on 137 Posts
Block your tires and put the trans in neutral. I bet if you wiggle the driveshaft you’ll see the “seal” wiggle with it. Just look at your picture, it’s hard up against the yoke. Mine is exactly the same. If a seal was spinning in the housing it would get very hot in short order and wouldn’t be so shiny and clean looking now.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:27 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sport45
Block your tires and put the trans in neutral. I bet if you wiggle the driveshaft you’ll see the “seal” wiggle with it. Just look at your picture, it’s hard up against the yoke. Mine is exactly the same. If a seal was spinning in the housing it would get very hot in short order and wouldn’t be so shiny and clean looking now.
Well I'll be. Seals sure are a lot different than the late 80's, when I was doing a bunch of wrenching. The dealer agreed that's where the oil was coming from and agreed that seal needed replacing. I'm going to have to research how these work, how far into the case housing they extend, and how/what/why they fail.

Quick Reply: Hot gear oil smell - found this