Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help me love a 6.0!

Old 05-19-2019, 10:53 PM
rjdj1186
Junior User
rjdj1186 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help me love a 6.0!

I had a 95 f250 gas guzzler. Loved that truck. Sharp looking, tough, nothing could stop it but a gas station. And, of course, the catastrophic tranny failure while towing 12k worth of 5th wheel to my new job and home in Colorado.
Time constraints on repair at the remote location of my breakdown prompted me to buy something else.
What I found on hand was the ugliest 96 12v cummins dually farm truck you ever saw broke down in a barn. It pulled my trailer like it wasn't even there. I considered it a temporary fix to my problem. It became my daily driver for 3 years of full time rv-ing. I loved that truck.
Alas, it fell apart around that cummins and I sold it to a towing company to put in a tow truck. My baby lives on.
I am now shopping trucks. I love the look of the fords in my pricerange but am a little afraid of the 6.0. I loved my diesel and still have my 5th wheel so I want a diesel, but I also want a ford. The two appear to be a bad mix. I have read the horror stories, perused the diesel forum bad-mouthing, and spoken with 2 diesel mechanics. Still I find myself reading the ads and drooling over the pics. Studded, deleted, bulletproofed, "bulletproofed", oil cooler, coolant filter, HPOP, FICM, injectors, egr cooler, turbo...
What to do? Should I just go back to the dark side and buy gas?
Surely someone has something good to say about them? Where to look? Ford Truck Enthusiast, of course.
Thank you all for allowing me to tap in to your collective knowledge. I appreciate any advice I can get.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:02 AM
kgburns
Senior User
kgburns is starting off with a positive reputation.
I feel your pain about being a little afraid of the 6.0, I was there once.

My uncle was a die hard Ford lover. He retired from the Kentucky truck plant and I never knew him or my aunt to ever drive anything that wasn't a Ford. When he passed away, my aunt gave me his truck, a 2006 F350 with the 6.0 and I was immediately intimidated by all the rumors floating around. I even wondered if I could even afford to keep the truck and several times I even thought about selling it and letting someone else drain their bank account trying to keep that thing on the road.

I started out on an RV forum asking questions since my primary purpose for any truck larger than 1/2 ton was to pull my fifth wheel. At that time, I was driving a GMC 2500 with their 6.0 gas engine.
As expected, I was swamped with all the people telling me how I'd wind up broke, sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck to take it to a crushing station since there was no way the thing could be repaired cheaply or even repaired to get to a dependable state. One of the senior posters, SmokeyWren (who used to be on this forum also) replied back that just like everything else, there will always be problems with anything and all you ever hear about is the problems people have, that there were thousands and thousands of the 6.0 diesels out there that had never had a major problem.
Several people recommended things like Torque Pro or Forscan to monitor engine parameters and what to look out for. Some recommended preventative maintenance measures like backflushing the cooling system, blue spring update, etc.
Then we had a family reunion coming up at a state park in the eastern part of the state, so I figured I'd pull the fifth wheel with the F350 and when it finally grenaded on me like the doomsayers promised it would, the most it would have to be towed back to home would be 200 miles, worth the gamble as far as I was concerned, so away we went.

I'll never pull a fifth wheel camper again with anything other than a diesel!!!!!!! That thing was amazing cruising through those hills and small mountains, never straining, never having to listen to the engine screaming at high rpms just to maintain a decent speed on the hills and interstate ramps, mileage was great, should have been a great trip, but I was sitting in a puddle of cold sweat, watching the Torque Pro screens, monitoring deltas, VGT %, IPR pressures, everything, just everything, waiting for the inevitable engine meltdown. Never happened. When we got back home the next week, I sold the GMC 2500.

Then Smokey recommended this website. This place is a veritable treasure trove of information and experts and the experts are great at responding to any questions you may have, offer solutions and general guidance on what should be done, what may be done and what may be nice to have done.

I've taken their advice on many things, fuel pressure gauge, EGT gauge, 140 amp alternator, battery wiring upgrades, tranny pan and filter upgrade, oil cooler backflush and ELC, etc.
The tech folder is full of how to and what to do articles.

And for the record, my F350 is still rumbling along with factory TTY head bolts and while I have made some modifications, I wouldn't call it a bullet proofed engine - but it's still purring along.

Read the tech folders - get Torgue Pro or Forscan then a Bluetooth OBD adapter to check out any 6.0 you may be thinking of buying, make sure the important things are within specs. Put a few dollars into the recommended modifications. Start here - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...used-6-0l.html

Lots of luck

Old 05-20-2019, 02:53 AM
rjdj1186
Junior User
I hoped to hear some positive feedback on the 6.0. Like you, I have said I would always drive a diesel. But you type 6.0l in the search bar and see what comes up, and you have to question your resolve. I could go 24 valve, but I really like the look of the fords. Rams seem to deteriorate aesthetically much faster than the fords. Perhaps because they are getting used while the fords are in the shop? I am not sure, but I am drawn to the fords whatever the reason. Even willing to consider gas to get one! That's a serious attraction!
Would you say a 6.0 stock with lower miles is a better choice than a studded, deleted with higher miles?

Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Take some time and read the threads in the Tech Folder.
You will find a lot of good info on what to look for and how to test.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 AM
gpeade
Elder User
gpeade is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm new to the 6.0 myself. I inherited one from a family member a few months ago and like you was scared of it based on it's reputation. My initial thoughts were to dump it ASAP. But after reading extensively here I have come to realize that many issues with the 6.0 were unknowingly self inflicted. Granted Ford could have done a lot better in the design of a couple components but the common theme here seems to be that once you address those couple of common issues, and stay on top of the maintenance it will serve you well. After learning this I decided to keep the one I have. I do have a 28" travel trailer and while my 150 pulls it just fine this 250 will do so much better at not only pulling it but controlling and stopping it also. Mine does need an oil cooler which I plan on replacing myself in the next month or so. After that I am just going to keep eyes on things and keep fluids & filters clean and drive her until she won't go any more. Yeah I could spend the $$ now and have it studded but I'm going to just wait until when and if I ever need that done.
According to what I have learned the oil cooler is the weakest link and what usually pushes the snowball down the hill. The oil cooler gets plugged up and no longer allows good coolant flow through it. Therefore the EGR cooler starts overheating which eventually causes it to rupture and start leaking coolant into the intake. This coolant makes it's way into the cylinders and boils creating overpressure in the cylinders which is what stretches the head bolts and eventually leads to catastrophic failures if not caught in time. This is why everyone stresses the importance on monitoring temperatures and other sensors on these things.
I was talking to a friend that has one the other day and we got to talking about why Ford did not, and still doesn't, include a EOT gauge in the instrument cluster. I honestly feel had they done this from the start the 6.0 reputation would not be as bad as it is today. My particular truck is a prime example of that. My father in law would have never purchases any type of scanner or monitor. He would have just drove the truck in its current condition with the plugged oil cooler until it created problems that cost him thousands of dollars to fix.
As was mentioned in an earlier post, read the tech folder files. You will learn a lot about them as well as what to look out for when shopping for one.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 AM
rjdj1186
Junior User
I have read the nearly decade old tech folder posts. I was hoping for a more recent assesment of the long term viability of a bulletproof 6.0 vs a stock 6.0 vs a gas. I have been reading posts on multiple forums, magazine ads, watching you tube videos. All old. No-one wants to talk about it anymore, its old news to everyone but me.
Probably best not to gamble, since thats what a 6.0 is. If I can't even get some answers here, on the ford lovers forum, who else is going to say anything good about them? Not the deisel forum guys, I can tell you. Page after page of bad mouthing, then one guy pipes up with "all stock 300000 miles runs great." and you never hear from him again in that thread. The happy 6.0 owners don't talk, or post, whatever.
The mechanics are happy to sell you the work, and rave about how great they are afterwards, depending on who did it, what they did, whos stuff they used, ect...
I guess I was hoping there would be some fairly reliable info on the matter this late in the game. Some insight on a 10 year old bulletproof. Are they out there? Have they all gone to the car lot because they need another bulletproof?
I came to you because I am out of patience with reading endless threads that do not answer my question. I am about to give up on a ford all together and just buy an ugly old ram. At least it will get me where I am going.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:43 AM
gpeade
Elder User
gpeade is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would assume, and this is purely an assumption, you don't hear recent talk like you are looking for because the motor went out of production and many owners resolved their issues years ago and now have nothing more to talk about. People only talk when they have a problem. Folks are not going to come to a forum and discuss all the times their truck preformed great or didn't breakdown on them.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:01 AM
rjdj1186
Junior User
Exactly! I want to hear from those guys about how great their bulletproofed trucks are! Precisely why I joined the ford enthusiast forum. As my title said:"make me love a 6.0"
The guys on other forums spend a lot of time bragging about how great their modifications were and how happy they are now, 100k miles later. Why not ford? Is it that no-one is happy 100k later? That is the conclusion I had drawn when I came to you guys hoping to be wrong. I am still hoping.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:01 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
“Bulletproofed” is silly. I once thought it had a meaning but soon realized it’s a very over used term. That said, once you go through them and fix a few design issues you’re golden. The bad ones are usually due to lazy people that don’t maintain their equipment.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Visurveyor
Senior User
Visurveyor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, heres what i have to say to you. All truck makes have there problems. Seems the only one that gets recognised on super duties is the 6.0. I own a 2004 crew cab Lariat. Best truck iv ever owned. Yes a little work here and there but overall, Best truck. Heres the thing as my friends on here have already said. Over the years people have figured out an conquered most all of the problems Ford threw at us. Yes you dont here about how great they are and how powerful they are after the fact. But i will also say these trucks belong in hands of people who stay on top of there vehicles. If you looking to buy a truck and just drive it till it quits, this is not the motor for you. If you are looking for something that if you serve it well it will be the best motor you can get. All up to you and what you want, and if you are hands on or not.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:30 PM
rjdj1186
Junior User
True, all have problems. Some much more than others.
I am a fix it 'till it's not worth fixing guy, like my 96 12v sold last year due to frame rusting out on top of tranny failure. Engine went in a tow truck at 385k.
I am getting the answers I need, however. No-one is telling me how great their bp'd 6.0 is, but the v10 guys won't stop bragging.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Post Fiend
Rusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputation
210k miles now, factory head bolts, the modifications and repairs in my signature below are all that was done. Injectors did sting the wallet a little but it’s running real good. I can honestly say I’m glad I bought it. We tow a fifth wheel camper, mostly short trips, and I drive it to work often about 30min each way.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:13 PM
tfunk88
Elder User
tfunk88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I heard all the horror stories and was dead set against buying a 6.0. Had 3 2008 F450 pickups with the 6.4 motor, which everyone said had huge issues, I never had any. Then once I no longer needed a pickup and wanted an SUV, the Excursion got in my sights. But I wanted diesel. Which meant 6.0. So I said ďNopeĒ. But the thought kept creeping back in my head. So I researched more and discovered that like any engine the 6.0 has some issues but if you change certain things and keep up with intensive good maintenance itís mostly a non-issue. Ended up buying a 2005 Excursion 6.0, bought it 4 years ago with 85k miles on it, now has about 235k on it. Iíve replaced a radiator, oil cooler, deleted the egr cooler, and at 110k miles had the dreaded head gasket replacement. I had new Ford headgaskets installed along with ARP headstuds, updated standpipe/dummy plugs, etc. Other than having to replace an AC hose or a couple minor coolant leaks Iíve had no issues. Love the truck and motor. I can actually work on the 6.0 as opposed to the 6.4ís I had before, where basically you need to take the cab off for much of the work.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:40 PM
Visurveyor
Senior User
Well if your mind is made up, our job is done. You will be a happy V-10 owner. Not!!
RustyAxlrod put it Best. "We have room to work on these motors" Now if your pockets are deep enough to where you can ship the truck off to the dealer everytime you have a Hicup or you have a super shop out back. Than do what makes you and your family happy. Seems to me you have done enough background on these motors and have made up your mind. Thats good. I think the 6.0 is better, but that is an opinion.
Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:45 PM
Visurveyor
Senior User
Was tfunk not axlerod gave the advise on room around motor. Sorry my bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.