Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

460 no power and random idle

Old 05-21-2019, 03:54 PM
84red
Senior User
84red is starting off with a positive reputation.
PO gutted the cat. Driving around today I got a CEL flash on and then off. CM gave me a 31. 31 is the EGR not working correctly. This code isn't new, I've replaced the EGR solenoid before when it was happening. Now it's back. Time to plug the EGR vacuum line and see if it changes anything. I doubt it will fix the bogging/cutting out though.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Scott Bowmaster
Senior User
Scott Bowmaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 84red View Post
PO gutted the cat. Driving around today I got a CEL flash on and then off. CM gave me a 31. 31 is the EGR not working correctly. This code isn't new, I've replaced the EGR solenoid before when it was happening. Now it's back. Time to plug the EGR vacuum line and see if it changes anything. I doubt it will fix the bogging/cutting out though.
The EGR can definitely give you some drivability issues. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:14 PM
84red
Senior User
No change when cold or hot. I know the ecm controls the timing advance, but is there anything in the distributor that would matter? I know the ICM matters and it is good, but other than that, any parts that could have failed or are failing that would keep the timing from advancing electronically? I'm thinking of possibly grabbing a junkyard distributor and it's the only ignition part that hasn't been replaced.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Scott Bowmaster
Senior User
No change when cold or hot. I know the ecm controls the timing advance, but is there anything in the distributor that would matter? I know the ICM matters and it is good, but other than that, any parts that could have failed or are failing that would keep the timing from advancing electronically? I'm thinking of possibly grabbing a junkyard distributor and it's the only ignition part that hasn't been replaced.
I don't think it could be the distributor itself at this point, the computer controls the timing beyond the initial setting you did with the Spout connecter unplugged. Try checking your timing with the Spout connecter connected, and disconnected. There should be some difference there. Your symptoms do point to the timing not advancing

Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 PM
84red
Senior User
It is advanced with the spout connector in. I took a video of the cutting out to see if that would help. I apologize for the shaky video. F350 4x4 gives a bit of a rough ride

Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 PM
84red
Senior User
Old 05-21-2019, 07:13 PM
Scott Bowmaster
Senior User
The way your tach is hopping around, it's either fuel or a bad ECM. Or 2 bad ECMs I should say. Given the year of the truck, it would be terrible surprising to find 2 bad ECMs

Old 05-21-2019, 07:42 PM
84red
Senior User
I don't know what the fuel issue would be though. I haven't been able to test while driving ever. I have all new fuel pumps both front, rear, and frame. as well as the fuel selector valve. Filter is fresh, changed out multiple times in my ownership too.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:41 AM
torq'ta 5 8
Senior User
torq'ta 5 8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
did you check timing advancing with timing light, with spout connector, plugged in, and unplugged, when spout connector is plugged in and watching timing marks with timing light, it should be erratic/jumping around(the computer is controlling timing correctly) what is your base timing set at?
need fuel pressure gauge, to check fuel pressure at idle, and quick check fuel pressure regulator, watching fuel pressure gauge you can blip throttle and see if fuel pressure goes up and then back down, or remove vacuum line from fuel pressure regulator, plug line with your finger or small screw, does fuel pressure on gauge go up, or stay same, if it stays same need regulator, do you remember going through the steps to set idle when you replaced IAC

Part 1 -How to Test the Ford Ignition Control Module (Distributor Mounted)
How to Clean and Test your IAC - Ford Bronco Forum

Last edited by torq'ta 5 8; 05-22-2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: found these
Old 05-22-2019, 10:53 AM
84red
Senior User
I have a new regulator, all that you described is working correctly. One thing I tried last night was I held her at WOT in 3rd. Eventually it actually pulled through the bogging. Seems to run ok at higher rpm around 3k. I doubt it's fuel pressure if it makes it. I also read a thread last night where a guy's truck was giving him similar symptoms and it ended up being something in the distributor. Never hurts to toss in a $20 JY one

Old 05-22-2019, 11:23 AM
torq'ta 5 8
Senior User
the ICM test also shows how to test pip, and I was getting check engine flash on about half way to work, (332 code) finally pulled green vacuum line completely out and replaced, a hair line crack(1" long) but with it in the wire loom couldnt see it or find it, just sitting and idling EGR doesnt work, until your at part throttle or cruise speed, only thing I could figure is heat soak by the time I was half way to work and crack opened up more, giving me the flash on check engine light

Old 05-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Wheelman55
Senior User
Wheelman55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by torq'ta 5 8 View Post
the ICM test also shows how to test pip, and I was getting check engine flash on about half way to work, (332 code) finally pulled green vacuum line completely out and replaced, a hair line crack(1" long) but with it in the wire loom couldnt see it or find it, just sitting and idling EGR doesnt work, until your at part throttle or cruise speed, only thing I could figure is heat soak by the time I was half way to work and crack opened up more, giving me the flash on check engine light
Smart money replaces all of the vacuum lines.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 PM
torq'ta 5 8
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wheelman55 View Post
Smart money replaces all of the vacuum lines.
yeap. already ordered, where there's one you find, you prolly just made 2 more! Doh! my luck I made 4, O goodie!

Old 05-22-2019, 09:47 PM
84red
Senior User
One of the first things I did after purchasing the truck was replace all of the vacuum lines.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:41 PM
84red
Senior User
I haven't stabbed in the other distributor yet, I've been thinking about some of the issues and I think they point to timing but I'm not sure. When cold, there is no high idle warmup cycle, which the iac and timing would control. When cold, the engine runs fine, runs rough & rich when hot. If I stay into the throttle long enough in 3rd, it will pull through whatever it is, I don't know to call it missing, stumble or what, but it does pull through it.

What do you all think?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.