Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Leece Neville 230A Overcharging

Old 05-21-2019, 09:58 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
For the price of these alternators, one would think that the regulator used was already "heavy duty".
You’d think the whole thing would be.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:19 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
It may be.

If everyone here is expecting a zero percent failure rate, I'm not sure what you're doing with a 6.0L

Old 05-22-2019, 06:51 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
It may be.

If everyone here is expecting a zero percent failure rate, I'm not sure what you're doing with a 6.0L
I’m not sure what the jab is all about questioning what I’m doing with a 6.0...I’m driving it. I have a 6.7 F-250 that I drive to work in the oilfield Tuesday to Tuesday and the 6.0 is used to haul my tractor, boat (I’m a part time fishing guide) and girlfriend and our 4 kids on my 6 days off. I’m posting this in case any one else has the same or similar issue since I’m the first guy that got a $400 alternator that’s supposed to be the “best value” on the market according to the site I purchased it from. People do searches looking for answers when their parts crap out. We both know what that’s like but it’s not been my 6.0, just a few parts I put on it that failed.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
I am sure it wasn't at jab at anything (except maybe the 6.0 - Jack has had more than his share of "fun" with them!)!

There is always going to be a failure rate - even with top quality parts. That said, with high quality (and expensive) parts, customer service should be quick and effective. With a low failure rate, I would think the profit margin could justify that kind of customer service.

We have been through this on multiple brands of alternators. Over the years, the 6.0L crowd has been responsible for several companies enjoying some nice increases in sales. You would think that these companies would understand the benefit of rapidly responding to our issues.

Ed understands and he will take care of you. He may even be able to point out some areas of improvement to the Leece Neville folks.

That said, and the Leece Neville products sure haven't had a lot of complaints - not that I have noticed anyway. Far fewer than the DC alternators (and I love the DC alternator I am running)! It just rubs me a little to hear that the parts used aren't the heavy duty ones ..... or that the option for a unit to include the heavier duty regulator is not advertised.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:37 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
It’s just aggravating as hell when I had the engine out to upgrade heads, new glow plugs, harnesses, built a custom 6.7 fuel system for it and have it all done and back in in about a month and that’s with working 16 days at my regular job. I have over $20k in this truck and a ton of time just to have a two year old (heavy duty) alternator that was working fine before removal crap out and hit the brakes on driving her and enjoying her like I wanted to. Sure, I could fork out another $450 for a new one but don’t think that should be the case.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:49 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
A few years back, I was where you are (with DCPower for me). Ed has offered to help you. I am sure he will.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:09 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
I've never been known to be a tactful person ......

It wasn't meant as a jab at you, and I understand the frustration. We are going to have failures and despite yours, there have been few failures with these. And as Mark has said, less than the DC from my observations as well.

In all areas, including my A/V hobby, I've seen good products get a poor reputation and a 'pile on' to shy away from them. I have one such product in my home system, an SACD/DVD player that is actually very good but got a bad rep because of one weird characteristic if you went into an odd function. I know because I brought it up. It's actually better than the other one that I paid 4x as much.

I think the L-N is a good unit but has a voltage issue with the GPCM. But despite that, it appears to be a good well-built unit. IMO, L-N's tech support is mediocre at best.

I meant it as a reality check. This thread could get way out of hand real fast. As a group, we should not be intolerant of an occasional failure of a product. The irony being from an outside perspective someone could easily question if we have that type of intolerance to failure, why the hell do we all own a 6.0. We know it can have gasket failures, we know it can have HPOP system failures, we know if can have oil cooler failures. All expensive repairs and we still own them. Even when the motor is sitting in a home garage sucking up retirement funds like crazy.

Mark, I'm not sure the original regulator is not an "HD" unit, the aftermarket replacement purchased was not while an "HD" aftermarket version is available as Y2K pointed out. And honestly, neither of those I have a warm and cuddly feeling over. I'd still like to see what the failure of this alternator actually is.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:13 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
Gotcha (on the HD regulator).

What we should be intolerant of is poor customer service!!

If American companies don't get that, then why not just by cheap China junk and replace it 3-4 times?

Old 05-22-2019, 09:04 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
IMO, so far Bosch and L-N have been pretty poor on the alternator front. Although really we could go through an entire list.

For a period of time, I had to send one of my guys down to GA to assist on the company's tech help line. He came back with stories that made me think those people never worked on brakes in their life. They thought he was remarkable, and he was not my best tech.

It actually got worse. The current director of the friction material aftermarket division, a position I declined as I wanted to stay at vehicle testing, took 4 times to get the simple ASE brake cert, including after spending a week at Moog's training program for brakes. We were both at a SEMA tech event where he presented a class, then took questions. I had to slip out due to the answers he was giving, such as the possibility to put spring behind pistons to provide less pedal travel, or we could grind the pads thinner to provide more clearance to the rotor. It was just brutal.

I don't think companies today, or maybe always, don't see the benefit of tech support.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
I don't care what type of product we are discussing. If customer support is great I will stick with them. The first time they blow me off, they're history.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:25 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
I called the Texas L-N rep a few minutes ago and he sounded like he just got done snorting a pound of blow after a night at the strip club. He keeps calling me “Janks” even though I keep reminding him my first name is Mac. He rushed me off the phone and said give me a half hour and then call at your convenience...Bottom line is I’m giving this cat one chance to commit to something but it better be rebuilding my alternator for a decent fee or replacing it at a discount. If that is not what he does I will send it to FICMRepair and let his guy handle it. I’m not looking for free, I want a reliable alternator and a solid reason it failed so I can post it here to help others.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:24 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
My L-N rep thought the 6.0 had a relay like the 7.3 for glow plug actuation, had no clue as to what I was talking about. He was going to talk to the engineering staff. It was a month of me wasting my time, but I went through the checks he asked for, including videotaping them, to check them off the list. He never got back in the end.

I hope this ends up positive, but that's not a sure thing by any means.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:03 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
I don't care what type of product we are discussing. If customer support is great I will stick with them. The first time they blow me off, they're history.

. THIS!!!

Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 AM
LOOnatic
Elder User
LOOnatic is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry to hear about LN alt issues and more so the crappy QC.
Im 3 years on Autozone 110 and looking at least a 140 upgrade . Was definitely considering the LN and upgraded the cabling.
If anyone from LN is watching this thread my money just went elsewhere.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:17 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
And here we go with the insanity .......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.