Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Leece Neville 230A Overcharging

Old 05-18-2019, 09:55 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
I will definitely try that if the alternator Razzi brings me doesn’t change anything. If it works then I know it’s the alternator and not my wiring.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:58 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
The alternator Razzi let me borrow holds 14.2-14.3v after a direct swap...the Leece Neville is toast.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 AM
HTM101
Senior User
HTM101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your issue interests me because my L-N is just 2 years old. I see 14.4 a lot, however I have seen it spike to 14.8 a few times. I run the OE pulley. I'll keep watching it.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:27 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Kind of late, but did you ever check the diodes with the voltmeter on AC?

I’m thinking back to when Y2K found a dollop of solder inside the case.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
No sir, I have not but plan on taking it to Interstate and going through it with my buddy Claude that is manager there and see what the issue really is. I really want to just get it either replaced or rebuilt by L-N if I can’t swap it through Ed.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:03 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post

Yeah, those holes on the contacts are at least 1/4” from the end on the new regulator. What the hell would cause them to wear down that much in just a couple of years? It’s not even a daily driver, I put about 10k on it a year.

To do that, either the slip rings were on the rough side or they were carrying a lot of current, high amp draw. You may be able to buy just the brushes at a motor rebuild shop.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:15 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
No sir, I have not but plan on taking it to Interstate and going through it with my buddy Claude that is manager there and see what the issue really is. I really want to just get it either replaced or rebuilt by L-N if I canít swap it through Ed.
That would be good.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:23 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru

Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
FTE is tough to post photos on from an iPhone...

The rep asked for me to test resistance across the slip rings and reading should be around 5-7ohms. Mine is 2.2-2.4ohms.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
Didn't realize your new VR was a Transpro. Since that is a replacement aftermarket I don't know if we can use the length of brush from the holding pin as the guide for the amount of brush wear. They can use a different carbon with a higher wear rate and just make it longer. Or it could be the same, We don't know. To truly assess you'd have to have a Prestolite regulator or someone would pull a new L-N apart.

Based on the conversations I had with L-N tech support a few years back, there was a lot they didn't know about their own product.

Pulled mine off the shelf.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
Wow, I guess he doesn’t know, he stated 5-7ohms! Yours functioned fine with 2.3ohms resistance?
I gauged the length of the brushes by the holes in them. The new regulators come with a pin that slides in that hole in the housing and through both brushes so you can slide it on the slip rings and then pull it out to release them. Judging from that yours are worn a bit too.
I just wanted to post this to help others if they come across this issue too. Hopefully they just rebuild it for a fair price.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:23 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
Mine doesn't have that many miles, which is why I'm questioning how the original brushes would look like. Very familiar with how the safety pin setup works.

I've not had any overcharge issues like you, just the standard 14.5-14.6 GPCM cutout.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:33 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
Making it my mission to pause at the fire hydrant of every Leece Neville thread...

1. I've seen slip rings that have had groooves/channels worn into them. The slip rings shown above appear to be flat without grooves or brush channels. In otherwords, the slip rings are fine.

2. If Smack Daddy had an overdrive pulley since the initial install, then his alternator was forced to spin faster for every crank revolution, therefore it stands to reason that the brushes would wear faster.

3. I've seen brushes worn past their "keeper pin" mounting holes, all the way until the hole is gone, and the broad cross section of the brush is fully engaged with the slip ring once again. The brushes wear faster through the hole section.

4. The Transpo replacement regulator shown is the F600. I'd recommend an F600HD, which has a heavier duty power device inside, according to Transpo. The Prestolite part number crosses to both.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:35 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
For the price of these alternators, one would think that the regulator used was already "heavy duty".

Old 05-21-2019, 09:57 PM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
Two years old. Alternators should last much longer than that, especially ones that only get driven about a thousand miles a month on average and the batteries stay on a charger when not in use.
I spoke with Ed today and he said he’d “lean on” corporate and if I want to he would have his local alternator shop rebuild it for a reasonable price. The L-N rep never replied after I text him the photos and never answered the phone today. He asked me to send the photos and I did...I guess that’s that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.