Notices
General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

vented ventless heater

Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 PM
ford2go
Postmaster
ford2go has a brilliant futureford2go has a brilliant futureford2go has a brilliant futureford2go has a brilliant futureford2go has a brilliant futureford2go has a brilliant futureford2go has a brilliant futureford2go has a brilliant futureford2go has a brilliant futureford2go has a brilliant futureford2go has a brilliant future
vented ventless heater

What a deal. I'm in the process of putting a ventless propane heater in my basement. Replacing my 40 year old woodstove.

To do it, I need to extend the gas line. Guy came over to estimate and said -- are you gonna get a permit? He pretty much though that it was a waste of money.

But, a gas line is a pretty big deal, so I emailed the inspector to ask about fees for the line and the heater.

Guess what -- in Minnie, ventless heaters are not approved -- or so he said. I looked up the code standard and it does allow exceptions for units with a vent interlocked to the gas valve. These do exist, but it looks like a real PITA.

Not sure what to do. Could get the gas line approved and just say I have future plans for it. Then put in the heater. Never thought of this when I put a garage unit in -- but I first ran that from a tank -- then got a new regulator right on the wall outside the unit.

Kind of amazing that they sell these things at a lot of places and never bother to say thatthey're in violation of code unless you add a costly vent.

Interested in any opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,

hj

Old 05-18-2019, 05:03 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
That is an interesting conflict of information code-wise. I'd seek input from your home insurance carrier to make sure installing this type heater in any space while its not a code-approved item could affect or void your coverage.

Are there any approved alternative heat sources under consideration for your space?

Old 05-18-2019, 07:48 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Edkajo has a very good reputation on FTE.Edkajo has a very good reputation on FTE.Edkajo has a very good reputation on FTE.Edkajo has a very good reputation on FTE.
I don't mind taking chances on things as needed but gas/propane is no joke. Anything with it should require a little homework and everything should be done 'right'. A garage is one thing but even vented they can cause life threatening issues. Almost predictable that a family gets into trouble overnight due to a blocked vent or a malfunctioning gas heater each year in any given area. Don't play games with anything like that inside your home unless you want to roll the dice on your family waking up dead one day. Might be just me but I'd ditch that heater and sell it to someone who has a use for it and start of fresh with whatever is approved. The simpler the better. Even power vents are a PIA sometimes. Any reason why a regular vented gas/propane heater can't be vented through the flue used for the woodstove?

Old 05-18-2019, 08:46 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Ventless heaters are generally not approved, the exception is if you can provide fresh air and seven full air changes a hour. Have you read the numerous issues and dangers with them? The complaints go back 20 plus years https://www.dukefire.com/articles/ar...1815/60120.htm

Old 05-20-2019, 05:38 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Ventless heaters are no bueno. If the local code says no, likely your insurance will follow suit and for very good reason.

Not long ago I was very interested in installing a gas tankless water heater. After much research I discovered that I can't vent it through my gas furnace stack, it must have it's own which will add lots of extra money to the initial install. I have a brand new Rheem gas furnace and it vents through PVC pipe through the garage attic out the side of the garage wall just under the peak. I'm guessing that the water heater needs metal vent material.

Factoring in all that I figured my break even point to be years down the road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.