Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Iím just dumbfounded now

Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 AM
Pamela Kerr
New User
Pamela Kerr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Iím just dumbfounded now

Working on 1988 Ford F-Super Duty. It has 66000 miles, original everything, except those that I have replaced. This started with new calipers, replaced and it went smooth amazingly. However, went to start and it wouldnít turn over. Tried to start and it blew the solenoid apart (never seen nothing like it). Replaced the solenoid, not only will it not start, when I turned it over the positive battery cable began smoking. I tried jumping the starter directly didnít turn, so I know I need to replace but what is causing the load down on my battery....I hooked up everything correctly and made sure all contacts are clean.....any ideas please help, Iím getting to the point of beyond my pay grade.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 AM
ZombieF150
Senior User
ZombieF150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
starter wasn't seized before you started working on it? meaning it has been a running vehicle? no recent battery replacement? to rule out possibility of terminal being reversed.

The more info we have the better we may be able to noodle out what the problem is. Calipers have nothing to do with starting or not starting.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Pamela Kerr
New User
Up until the solenoid blew, yes, the starter worked perfectly

Old 05-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Pamela Kerr
New User
No battery replacement either and no switched cables

Old 05-16-2019, 10:13 AM
ZombieF150
Senior User
I would check the fuses, in cab and under hood fuses first, and fusible links possibly. subford probably has diagrams and would be better at narrowing it down quicker than I, or maybe sandymane can help

If your positive wire is smoking it is possible there is a direct short. Too much resistance in the cable.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Pamela Kerr
New User
Thanks

Thanks, gonna try your suggestions, I am thinking either I have a direct short or possibly a ground not effectively doing its job. To give you an idea of what I am dealing with, the gentleman who owns this vehicle knows nothing of vehicles, I checked the oil and dang near lost it on him, Iíll be changing that tooóóitís so burnt and itís as thick as latex paint and all or most parts are the original 1988 parts, Iíll be paying attention for possible avenues from you and others on the forum. God Bless and pray for me, I got to get it back on the road today

Old 05-16-2019, 10:57 AM
ZombieF150
Senior User
Pull your grounds and clean them. the ones coming from the battery,etc, double check your positives also and clean them. wire brush and wd-40 will do a passable job.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Pamela Kerr
New User
Will do, thanks

Old 05-16-2019, 11:04 AM
ZombieF150
Senior User
if the oil is as bad as you say it is.. I'd dare say it need a flush. if you get it started, dump some seafoam in it, run it 30 minutes, (rislone or similar engine flush,or some such too will work) then drop the oil. it'll help cut the thick oil and get it and gunk to flow out better.

let it idle. don't run it down the road til you drop that old oil out.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Pamela Kerr
New User
Learn new everyday

Thanks for the tip, I did not know that, however, I have never run into someone that didnít know to change their oil.....

Old 05-16-2019, 01:13 PM
Pamela Kerr
New User
Sheís a running

Well, I got up this morning baffled and came to the forums for aid and I appreciate your help. Turns out it was the battery itself, replaced and she turned right over and thanks for the trick with the sea foam, much appreciated, I am sure Iíll be posting again...he has 4 more and none are at the moment running.....God Bless

Old 05-16-2019, 01:37 PM
jas88
Post Fiend
jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.jas88 has a great reputation on FTE.
I don't get how a bad battery could cause the solenoid to explode.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:39 PM
Pamela Kerr
New User
It wouldnít start after replacing

I replaced the solenoid, I believe the one I replaced blew because it was from 1988 and just old. When I replaced the solenoid it then wouldnít start, which turned out to be the battery

Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 PM
ZombieF150
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pamela Kerr View Post
Well, I got up this morning baffled and came to the forums for aid and I appreciate your help. Turns out it was the battery itself, replaced and she turned right over and thanks for the trick with the sea foam, much appreciated, I am sure Iíll be posting again...he has 4 more and none are at the moment running.....God Bless
glad ya got it fired .

Old 05-16-2019, 07:50 PM
cooksmtn
Junior User
cooksmtn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Starters can go bad without notice. A short in the starter has potential to blow the solenoid, and make the cable smoke.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.