Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

2009 f250 front brakes locked

Old 05-15-2019, 05:15 PM
jt2009
New User
jt2009 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2009 f250 front brakes locked

Hi,
I searched the forum, but didn't see anything that was exactly the same. This happened on a 2009 f250 5.4l 4x4 auto xlt

The other day I was driving and after a stop noticed my truck was really sluggish. No power to accelerate and it would shake over 40mph. It also took turns pulling to each side. I kept driving for a while and it would get a little better the less I used the brake and worse the more I used it and if I braked quite a bit, the pedal would get hard. I stopped and shut the truck off and found both fronts locked. I threw some water on all the wheels and steam came off the front, nothing off the rear. Sitting there a while I could hear/feel the brakes slowly starting to let go as pressure came off. I was parked on an incline. I've replaced both rubber lines and calipers in the last year due to the lines collapsing. This happened at different times. The calipers didn't really need it, but I was in there doing the lines anyway. I also had the cruise control switch on the master cylinder blow apart in the last year. After about 1/2 hour the brakes were completely unstuck and I've been driving ever since with out an issue.

It hasn't happened again yet, but we're getting into camper season and I'm wondering what I can do to avoid getting stuck somewhere.

Any thoughts on what the culprit is?

thx

Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 PM
Djosbun
Elder User
Djosbun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Id replace the caliper pins with Ford pieces and use the high temp caliper grease on them. Possibly swap them out every year to prevent future issues.

Dave

Old 05-15-2019, 09:59 PM
jetjockey99
Posting Guru
jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Carry a wrench that fits the bleeders, if it happens again crack the bleeder and see if there is pressure, it will release it if there is. If there is pressure it is hoses or the master cylinder itself causing the problem, if there is no pressure release and the brakes don't release then it is calipers or pins. Also don't spray cold water on the rotors, if they are that hot they could crack.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 PM
geekwithoutacause
Elder User
geekwithoutacause is starting off with a positive reputation.
slide pins stuck. Well known issue. Should remove them, clean them and use high temp brake grease.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:37 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a great reputation on FTE.
all above information is correct....

its a cascade affect... more heat, more friction, more heat.. the tighter the grip on the rotors...

fluid not returning to master cylinder chamber... or mechanical... like slide pins..

Old 05-17-2019, 07:52 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I would recommend a complete inspection of those rotors, they may have cracks or became warped due to splashing water on them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.