Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck/Camper match dilemma

Old 05-15-2019, 04:37 PM
Truckin Canuck
New User
Truckin Canuck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck/Camper match dilemma

G'day from the GWN. I've never even driven a truck, but am intrigued with the idea of exploring North America in a slide-in camper. After months of research, I thought I'd identified the perfect combination of fuel economy, comfort and versatility, in a 2019 F-150 supercab 4x4 with 3.5L EB engine, 145" WB, 6.5' box and an Outfitter Caribou Lite 6.5 pop-up. The latter weighs 850 lbs dry. With my options, wet, plus pax, beer, stuff and a clean pair of socks (optional), it'll weigh about 1920 lbs. The truck, with GVWR of 7,050, has a payload of 2,150 lbs. All good - until I came across the F-Series Pickup/Camper Combination Selector. To carry a slide-in camper, this document requires the Heavy-Duty Payload Package as well as the Max Trailer Tow Package, and claims that the only 4x4 Supercab that qualifies is the 163.7" WB (8' box). I asked Ford Help how the truck knows whether it's carrying a ton of bricks or a ton of camper. Four emails later, they finally revealed that it's C of G, which they only determine for certain truck configurations. Among the many restrictions imposed by their insistence on the two packages, is an increase from the standard 3.31 axle ratio to 3.73. I can't find any indication of what this does to gas mileage, which leads me to believe that it's pretty nasty. I'm inclined to buy the truck I want, install air bags and sway bars, or Torklift Stableload, and Ford restrictions be damned. Does anyone have any idea what the fuel mileage, handling and legal implications of such audacity would be? Thanking you all in advance, I am a
Confused Canuck

Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Welcome! I'd be inclined to source the F-150 that Ford recommends or move up to an F-250. Adding suspension modifiers doesn't legally change the trucks specs.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:32 AM
GlueGuy
Postmaster
GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a great reputation on FTE.
If I were getting an F-150 with the intention of loading up a pop-up, I would most definitely get the heavy duty payload package. Consult with your dealer to maximize payload.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:10 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Truckin, you are (bluntly) being foolish. Many of us have been down the similar road, and based on our experiences, you will spend tons of money, never be satisfied, and while you should be enjoying your travels, will be cussing why you decided to run the maximum on a relatively light duty platform.
Looks like you are going it alone if you choose an F-150, as your figures leave no room for a passengers. Every additional item you add to overcome the shortcomings of the ride you select, detract from your already maxed out payload. Then, you are in a platform that will ultimately grind your relaxation into a frenzy from being limited for expansion and unnecessary wear and tear resulting from what most will consider the wrong choice.
I promise you as a seasoned veteran camper, what you THINK you want or will get away with will be quite contrary to what you'll KNOW you want after few outings. Then, in an F-150, youíre stuck.
Save the heartache and step up to the Superduty platform. You wonít be sorry. And, if the axle choice is a concern for FUEL ECONOMY when hauling overloaded AND with a sail perched on an already defined flying brick, you may want to reconsider camping all together. The #1 rule of RVíing is NEVER use fuel economy and RV or Trailer or camping in the same sentence. 😆

Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 AM
johndeerefarmer
Posting Guru
johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.
https://www.livinlite.com/ford/

Here you go- licensed by Ford. Empty payload of 2153 lbs. You would need air bags and you can expect to get blown all around by the wind. Heck, running empty the wind blows my '17 around.

What's actually interesting is that the new Ranger has a payload of about 1750 lbs while most F150's are around 1800 lbs.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:20 AM
scott91370
Posting Guru
scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.
F-250, 'nuff said.

Please post your routes so I can either (1) stay away (2) watch as you drive by, swaying like crazy with a death grip on the steering wheel hoping nobody dies.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:43 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.Wiggums has a good reputation on FTE.
What you're saying here.. I will absolutely never consider it and my life will be miserable!

Just get a really small camper shell, it will be much easier to drive, won't get blown around, and is more discreet. If you're still hellbent on using a gigantic camper shell, stick with the F-250, you will regret it less.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:02 PM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Címon guys. The reality is Truckin is just asking here.
Lots of us have cut teeth on similar situations.
The reality is that anything in the 1/2 ton market is just going to get by if actually loaded, and the experience will be nothing stellar. It will likely cause plenty of anxiety in the right situation. Depreciation on a six month old truck or slide-in would be absolutely painful. The OP can make his own choices, but hopefully he gets the point.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
If your main attraction to the F150 is the fuel economy of the EcoBoost motor, then you are also setting yourself up for disappointment. The wind resistance will destroy your fuel economy. Probably get similar highway mileage with the F250 and 6.2L Gas engine.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Robbgt
Postmaster
Robbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to beholdRobbgt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Truckin Canuck View Post
but am intrigued with the idea of exploring North America in a slide-in camper.
This statement says it all to me - If you're going to be exploring the country, might be worth consider getting something with a bit more safety factor built-in. You'll probably have more gear than just the camper and yourself getting closer to max payload of a f150.

Might be worth considering a F250 w/ 6.2L V8 and be on the safe side.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:23 PM
CR172
Elder User
CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.
Personally I would ditch the F150 and F250 altogether and look at modifying a Transit 150 or similar.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:45 PM
JKBrad
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
Too be fair to Canuck, the link he posted is for a pop up camper that’s very light for what it is. It has a low profile when the top is down. It’s not like a giant Lance or something similar. I think a Heavy Duty Payload Pkg would work well. Maybe some airbags for stability reasons.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:51 PM
CR172
Elder User
CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.CR172 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
Too be fair to Canuck, the link he posted is for a pop up camper thatís very light for what it is. It has a low profile when the top is down. Itís not like a giant Lance or something similar. I think a Heavy Duty Payload Pkg would work well. Maybe some airbags for stability reasons.
Agreed but for the price of the truck AND the camper, I'd look at a conversion van in the size of a Transit or similar. Not the tiny Transit but the 150 or even a 250.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:55 PM
JKBrad
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
I’d probably consider a short, light travel trailer myself. Much more comfortable. It can be left at the campsite for a few days while exploring in the truck. Better weather protection and A/C. Then you have the full truck bed for gear and items picked up along the way.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:12 PM
CR172
Elder User
Yep, even a better idea. This one is interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: