Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 FX4 5.4 Won't move....

Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Ipstack
Freshman User
Ipstack is starting off with a positive reputation.
2006 FX4 5.4 Won't move....

I swear this truck....everytime I fix something.......(you know the rest)

So I was driving in the heavy rain, went to 4x4H and drove along fine. Came to a traffic light and stopped. When I went to move forward, it was like trying to drive over a railroad tie.

I don't think it is the transmission, it goes in F and R but it will only move about 2 feet. I had it in D and kept giving it gas, and the back tires did break loose.

I also was able to cyle between 2WD, 4WD and 4WL....I could tell it was in 4WL as the "tprque" feel was there, but no matter, F or R, 2 or 1, same 2 foot distance before it feels like you are trying to drive over a Railroad tie

Got it towed home.....think it could be the front diff?

Old 05-15-2019, 01:30 PM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
If its doing it in 2wd too, Id think it would be more towards the rear, unless something broke in the front and is binding everything up. Can you see anything briken just looking underneath?

i just got rid of my 2006 fx4 5.4l; rear differential pinion seal was making alot of noise past few years and truck was rusting away.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:57 PM
Ipstack
Freshman User
No, nothing I can see from underneath.....but like I said when I had it in D, and tried to "force" it forward, the back tires did break loose...so I am thinking the front end...transfer case or diff possibly...

Old 05-15-2019, 04:37 PM
Ipstack
Freshman User
I disconnected the forward section (where it connects to front diff) of the front drive shaft and tried it again, same thing...only moves a foot or so before it "binds"......

I did notice the forward drive shaft spins freely where it connects into the transfer case....

Old 05-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Rumble phish
Senior User
Rumble phish is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Ipstack View Post
I disconnected the forward section (where it connects to front diff) of the front drive shaft and tried it again, same thing...only moves a foot or so before it "binds"......

I did notice the forward drive shaft spins freely where it connects into the transfer case....
So, let me get this straight...

You've disconnected the front driveshaft from the front diff, and the rear tires have enough power/torque to them to break loose? If that's correct the issue is not in the drivetrain. Have you checked your front brakes? Is it possible they have locked up?

Old 05-16-2019, 09:57 AM
Ipstack
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Rumble phish View Post
So, let me get this straight...

You've disconnected the front driveshaft from the front diff, and the rear tires have enough power/torque to them to break loose? If that's correct the issue is not in the drivetrain. Have you checked your front brakes? Is it possible they have locked up?

So right now, I disconnected the Front drive shaft (the side toward the front of the truck). With the front of it off, I was able to freely roll the front drive shaft and whatever moves inside the transfer case...

After I did that I got in it and tried to move it forward and reverse.....it acted as before...moves a foot and feels like it is against a curb and won't move....same as in R......

I will jack the front and rear of the truck up later this evening and see if the front tires spin freely while it's in N......I will check the brakes too, although pretty sure they are ok.....

Old 05-16-2019, 01:21 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to all
with it jacked up in Neutral, the rear wheels should turn also.... If you have a LS unit, BOTH tires will rotate in the same direction. If you have an OPEN rear end, when you rotate one tire, the other tire will turn backward... the driveshaft might not turn at all.... last test is to rotate the rear driveshaft with tires off ground ( neutral) and see if the transfer case is free inside.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:32 PM
Ipstack
Freshman User
Originally Posted by steve(ill) View Post
with it jacked up in Neutral, the rear wheels should turn also.... If you have a LS unit, BOTH tires will rotate in the same direction. If you have an OPEN rear end, when you rotate one tire, the other tire will turn backward... the driveshaft might not turn at all.... last test is to rotate the rear driveshaft with tires off ground ( neutral) and see if the transfer case is free inside.
Update: So I jacked up the rear of the truck without disconnecting any more than what I had done previously (front diff), put it in N and was able to spin the rear wheels freely...I must have the LS diff as both tires spun the same way...

What to check next....I just took a break...I am going to put the front end in the air and see what I get from there....any other suggestions? I have my phone with me out there to periodically check in on this post..

Old 05-18-2019, 02:21 PM
Ipstack
Freshman User
OK, so I put down the rear-end and put the front in the air. I was able to spin the tires both directions.....the opposite tire spun the opposite direction.

Thoughts?

Old 05-18-2019, 07:27 PM
pdqford
Postmaster
pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.pdqford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Ipstack View Post

Got it towed home.....think it could be the front diff?
Could be in the transfer case.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:54 PM
steve(ill)
Post Fiend
steve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to allsteve(ill) is a name known to all
with it jacked up in Neutral, the rear wheels should turn also.... If you have a LS unit, BOTH tires will rotate in the same direction. If you have an OPEN rear end, when you rotate one tire, the other tire will turn backward... the driveshaft might not turn at all.... last test is to rotate the rear driveshaft with tires off ground ( neutral) and see if the transfer case is free inside

Old 05-24-2019, 08:16 AM
Rumble phish
Senior User
So what happened?

Update????

Old 05-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Ipstack
Freshman User
Update????
Yes sir, sorry....had to do the wheel bearings in the wife's Mini.....

SO....

Back tires in the air
Front drive shaft disconnected from the rear of the front differential...
Back tires spin freely with the truck in N
Started the truck, put it in D (2WD).....back tires spun with no issue
Put the truck in 4x4 and could hear the front drive shaft spinning freely (remember it is disconnected from the Front Diff)
Put it back in 2WD and front driveshaft stopped spinning and back tires still spun freely...

Transfer case and motor seemed fine, as I cycled it in between 2WD and 4WD and it definitely worked..

Front diff?

Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 PM
Rumble phish
Senior User
Front hubs?

Maybe something broke in the front hubs? Also, and I know it's a long shot but did you chwck to make sure the front brakes haven't locked up?

Old 07-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Ipstack
Freshman User
Maybe something broke in the front hubs? Also, and I know it's a long shot but did you chwck to make sure the front brakes haven't locked up?
Been away a while, but just wanted to give this an update.

Synopsis:

Truck in the air (all 4 wheels) and in 2WD you can put it in D and rear tires spin no problem.....
Put it in 4WD and the tires roll a bit then a hard stop (same in Reverse)
I can (in 2WD), spin the front tires (one spins one way, the other opposite)

With all 4 in the air and the Front diff disconnected, I can put the truck in 4WD and the front axle (still connected to the transfer case) turns as it should......

HAve one more bolt to take out to take the front diff cover off and see what could be going on in there....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.