Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-brake and rear hub repairs needed...

Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM
Sous
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Wink E-brake and rear hub repairs needed...

Well, even though IDI-Charlie was nice enough to get us some information about changing the E-brake shoes and hardware with the hub on, Murphy (Murphy's Law) had other plans for me and my truck. It is 20 years old though, so I guess I cannot complain too much.

For those that are not aware of the work that IDI-Charlie did for us, here is the link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...placement.html

I was doing our post-trip inspection this morning and found axle fluid leaking from the inner seal on the drivers side rear hub. So, I will be removing that hub in order to replace the seal, then I will do the E-brake job on that side. Then, on the passenger side I will NOT be removing the hub and doing the E-brake job and a video how to like I promising IDI-Charlie a while back.

Luckily the fluid did not contaminate the caliper or pads in the caliper, all fluid was retained to the interior of the rotor. The E-brake shoes are saturated though and need to be replaced and the rotor will need a good cleaning.

I will be following along with Guzzle and GregN by my side for the drivers side via these links:

Welcome to camodown's Rear Hub Seals and Parking Brake repairs

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/986298-how-to-replace-rear-wheel-hub-bearings.html

Then I will be following along with IDI-Charlie by my side for the passenger side via the link above.

In addition, I also noticed a slow leak from the power steering pump. At least it is not the steering gear shaft leaking again like it did last year.

I will be posting updates and a link to the video once it is complete here regarding the E-brake and seal job. I guess I could do a video that shows both methods of replacing the E-brake hardware... Something to think about while I wait for parts to come in.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:24 PM
FinnishStroker
Freshman User
FinnishStroker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can't have too many pliers nearby when doing those shoes with that hub on place..😁

Old 05-15-2019, 04:37 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
I did mine earlier this year. Not too bad a job. I had a couple small rust holes in the e-brake back plate on the passenger side, so I just did bearings and all new e-brake parts/back plates on both sides since I was going to be in there anyway.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Sous
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Seeing some different information on the 8 axle shaft retaining bolts at the cap in regard to torque specs.

From what I have read they have loctite applied and torqued between 60 and 80 lbs. If anyone can confirm that or give me a specific number that would be nice.

I am gathering the required parts and tools to get the job done via both methods. Truck is on a jack stand in the garage for the next week or so until it is done though.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
I seem to remember the blue loctite on those bolts. I also remember a torque pattern in the book. My books are up at the farm, though.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 PM
Sous
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
I seem to remember the blue loctite on those bolts. I also remember a torque pattern in the book. My books are up at the farm, though.
I am sure I will either figure it out or someone very familiar with the torque specs will be along shortly.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Seeing some different information on the 8 axle shaft retaining bolts at the cap in regard to torque specs.

From what I have read they have loctite applied and torqued between 60 and 80 lbs. If anyone can confirm that or give me a specific number that would be nice.

I am gathering the required parts and tools to get the job done via both methods. Truck is on a jack stand in the garage for the next week or so until it is done though.
FYI....there are O-rings behind the axle flange. IMO....over thinking torque specs for the axle. Measure the bolt, look up torque spec for grade 8 or 10.9...apply torque.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 PM
Sean Rogers
New User
Sean Rogers is starting off with a positive reputation.
While repairing the hub last year in my ford raptor (old one), I faced this thing too, that things went wrong. Fluid started leaking and noises made me out of my mind. It caused me to take it straight to the axle repair near me. Thus, the axle surgeons did their job, and I decided not to mess with it AGAIN!

Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 PM
Sous
Originally Posted by Dan V View Post
FYI....there are O-rings behind the axle flange. IMO....over thinking torque specs for the axle. Measure the bolt, look up torque spec for grade 8 or 10.9...apply torque.
Based on what I have read, the o-ring is reusable as long as it is in good condition. I will evaluate the condition when the axle is out of the tube.

Good idea for the bolt torque spec, I will cross reference that with the 60-80 I have seen. I also have access to a shop manual that I need to check.

Hoping to have the parts and tools middle next week and get it done.

Originally Posted by Sean Rogers View Post
While repairing the hub last year in my ford raptor (old one), I faced this thing too, that things went wrong. Fluid started leaking and noises made me out of my mind. It caused me to take it straight to the axle repair near me. Thus, the axle surgeons did their job, and I decided not to mess with it AGAIN!
Tight budget and I would rather do the job myself if I can. I do take repairs out of my league to a professional. Although I don't feel the inner hub seal is out of my league based on my research.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Sous, I have two really good E-Brake "how-to" threads with pictures that may interest you. Both threads are linked in the tech folder in the Excursion forum.

Stewart

Old 05-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Sous
Stewart, I was over there browsing around and must have missed them. I was a bit all over the place yesterday trying to get the lawn done, diagnose the truck leaks and taking care of a few other things since returning from our trip to Philly.

Thanks for the heads up!

For anyone interested in the future, here is a link to the tech folder Stewart mentioned: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...excursion.html

Also, the two links for the threads that may be of some help to me/you in the future.

Link 1: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13177642

Link 2: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6173054

The pictures and description in link 2 are the same as what is on the Guzzle site above. Just FYI...

Old 05-16-2019, 12:12 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Got this repair shirt, Sousifer
Not sure on price of inner axle nut tool, but you pay shipping, ill send ur out. Used Timken seal when i did mine. I think i got the spec on nut too...something like tight, then 7 clicks back...easy job.
E brakes, Tugboat has a write up. You sure yours just dont need adjusting?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:19 PM
Sous
I'll hit you up on text message Timmy, see if we can work something out on the axle lock but tool.

I adjusted them a couple months ago and they were pretty good on this last trip, even with the trailer.

Although, it is clear that only the passenger side was doing all the work because the driver side is saturated with oil. I cut 1.5" diamonds/grooves in the pads to help create a biting surface and that seemed to help as well.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Sous
Motorcraft brake shoes, Motorcraft inner seals and E-brake spring kits should be here Monday late afternoon.

Axle lock nut tool (W83008) purchased on sale and on hand.

Synthetic 75w140 gear oil purchased on sale and on hand.

Large 3 jaw puller rented and on hand.

Pry bar set and 11" needle nose pliers will be here on Monday late afternoon.

I will probably get started on the repair mid-Tuesday morning after I inventory everything and double check that I have what I need. I will also get the video camera set up and ready prior to starting the job so that I can record changing the E-brake with the hub on and with the hub off.

Despite these guys being a bit silly with their banter, they actually show a good deal of what needs to be done in order to get the hub off, released and then installed. The truck they are working on is a 2006, but the 2000 that I drive is nearly identical except for the E-brake hardware.

Old Today, 06:52 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
You want to install the parking brake shoes before anything else goes on the truck (keeping them grease-free then becomes a challenge), because once that hub is back on - installing the park brake becomes a class in sailor-speak.

Oh... and I wouldn't directly beat on that seal with a maul.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.