Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YES, my injectors are fine

Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
YES, my injectors are fine

As I have had a few diesel discussions as of late, it's come to my attention that everybody that doesn't know anything about the 7.3, or even those who think they do, constantly asked me if I have changed my injectors and when I plan on doing so. Um, when they decide to wear out. Just because injectors have almost 300,000 miles on them does NOT mean that they are due to be changed or that the current stock ones are less than ok. I really getting tired of having this discussion with people who think that 7.3 injectors automatically go bad at some point between 250 and 300 thousand miles when anybody that rides in my truck will see that injectors can easily go 500,000 miles if other things are maintained very well. It's about akin to saying, "well you know that engine in there could blow up soon". Yeah, and the megaton earthquake could always happen too. Heck, I could struck by lightning as I type this. Anyways, Rant over.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 AM
cleatus12r
Post Fiend
cleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputationcleatus12r has a superb reputation
It boils down to maintenance.

The F550 I drive came from an equipment rental joint as a service/maintenance vehicle yet it was never maintained itself. It had 132K on it when I bought it and two of the injectors don't (and didn't) work when cold. It still hasn't broken 170K but I did glow plugs on it last fall....I have NEVER taken apart such a disgusting 7.3L in my career. Everything under the valve covers was stained and greasy with black tar.

I may replace the injectors later this summer because it doesn't start when it gets below 5-10 degrees.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
It boils down to maintenance.

The F550 I drive came from an equipment rental joint as a service/maintenance vehicle yet it was never maintained itself. It had 132K on it when I bought it and two of the injectors don't (and didn't) work when cold. It still hasn't broken 170K but I did glow plugs on it last fall....I have NEVER taken apart such a disgusting 7.3L in my career. Everything under the valve covers was stained and greasy with black tar.

I may replace the injectors later this summer because it doesn't start when it gets below 5-10 degrees.
Cody, this would be great additional information for this discussion. I absolutely agree it has everything to do with maintenance, and less to do with mileage and usage. My truck had very good maintenance when I got it and I continued the trend to keep what I have for as long as I can. It cold starts awesome and sounds good first thing. It's smooth, has a s*** ton of power, and runs well when hot also. I know I am not the norm, but if another person asks me this after hearing it, I may just put knuckles to the Adams apple LOL....

Now I will have to confess that this frustration comes from three previous potential buyers trying to use that as a negotiating point when there was no reason in the world other than mileage to question it. No, I will not come down in price based on injectors because of what you heard from dipchit bill on powerstrokehelp.com. Yes these were real discussions.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 AM
th67ss
Senior User
th67ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think the only reason I would ask about injectors is to learn if they were after market or stock. I've got 469 on my stockies and have no plan to replace them anytime soon!

People are funny sometime because they hear something from someone.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:44 AM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
MoBill122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Glad to see this discussion, as I feel the same way.... my injectors are at 482,000, and I've only replaced the o-rings & checked the solenoid gaps.

But then, my truck is a daily driver.... I don't pull loads... and I drive like an old fart....

Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Byron, I am of the same mindset you are, especially now that I have a well functioning SXE turbo under the hood. I currently have 254,042 miles on my truck and the injectors are holding strong (knock on wood). I hope that they last another 250,000 more miles!

Like Bill, I take care of my truck and treat it like I count on it, because I do...

Old 05-15-2019, 04:02 PM
FinnishStroker
Freshman User
FinnishStroker is starting off with a positive reputation.
490 000 Miles here with original injectors.
Has symptoms of tired o-rings 😱 but still quite few -30 celsius cold starts last winter! 😰

Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 PM
Eaglescout94
Senior User
Eaglescout94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Eaglescout94 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I guess I didn’t get my money out of stock injectors. Swapped out at 348,000 and glad I did, only 2 had halfway decent spray patterns. Granted I was only responsible for 50,000 of those miles and have no clue what the maintenance history of it before I got ahold of it. When warm they did fine other than less than stellar mileage but it still had plenty of giddy up. Cold starts became a different matter this winter, if oil temp was below 45, it would not start. As already stated though, maintenance plays a huge role in longevity.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:25 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Maintance is part of the longevity, but also monitoring fuel pressure is key into a long lasting injector, as well as a good source for fuel, dirty fuel can kill and injectors quick as well (fuel in water, gasoline, home brewed fuel with out proper filtration.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:06 PM
pilgrimbizket
Elder User
pilgrimbizket is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So what would one do to matience the injectors, other than oil changes, checking fuel filters for oil contamination, and coolant reservoir for fuel?

I only have 200k on mine but I'm sure o rings are around the corner. Due to them being 22 years old.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:55 PM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pilgrimbizket View Post
So what would one do to matience the injectors, other than oil changes, checking fuel filters for oil contamination, and coolant reservoir for fuel?

I only have 200k on mine but I'm sure o rings are around the corner. Due to them being 22 years old.
That's pretty much it and what Adam said below. Also, my truck idled a lot and has had hard work most of its life through towing as well. The stopping and starting is pretty hard on them from what I have read and understand. I always say think "well-oiled machine". The ones that sit get dry and squeaky.

Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
Maintance is part of the longevity, but also monitoring fuel pressure is key into a long lasting injector, as well as a good source for fuel, dirty fuel can kill and injectors quick as well (fuel in water, gasoline, home brewed fuel with out proper filtration.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:03 PM
jdw1
Elder User
jdw1 is a name known to alljdw1 is a name known to alljdw1 is a name known to alljdw1 is a name known to alljdw1 is a name known to alljdw1 is a name known to all
Subscribing

Im at 317xxx on the 2000, my fuel mileage seems to be suffering a bit. My mother lives about 250 miles from me, I used to be able to hit pretty close to 20 mpg, last week I was pretty conservative on the run up to moms, hit 18 mpg, easy going, wasnt hamming on it at all. Im assuming its due to the mileage on the injectors but I could be wrong, just my own opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.