Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

regen heat effects in the bed - dogs at risk?

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 05-14-2019, 12:33 PM
alabamatoy
Senior User
alabamatoy is starting off with a positive reputation.

2019 F250 shortbed with a Leer shell. My dogs ride back there (2 big buggars, totaling about 160-170 lbs). Am I going to be putting them at risk when the wretched regen function happens? How hot does the floor of the bed get?

Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM
blueglide
Senior User
blueglide is starting off with a positive reputation.
I doubt there is any heat thru the bed at all. Regen takes place while moving so airflow alone should be sufficient to keep things cool. My bed is full of stuff with tonneau cover and I haven't seen any evidence of heat on stuff in the bed.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:05 PM
CPal
Senior User
CPal is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by blueglide View Post
I doubt there is any heat thru the bed at all. Regen takes place while moving so airflow alone should be sufficient to keep things cool. My bed is full of stuff with tonneau cover and I haven't seen any evidence of heat on stuff in the bed.
Do they not have ability to do parked regen? I dont know I dont drive diesel superduty but I do know many of the highway tractors I've driven had the ability to perform parked regens.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:32 PM
blueglide
Senior User
blueglide is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by CPal View Post
Do they not have ability to do parked regen? I dont know I dont drive diesel superduty but I do know many of the highway tractors I've driven had the ability to perform parked regens.
Good question...i don't know if they regen while parked and idling or not. I have never experienced it while just sitting....process takes 20-30 minutes while driving.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:48 PM
RONMCHUGH
Senior User
RONMCHUGH is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good question...i don't know if they regen while parked and idling or not. I have never experienced it while just sitting....process takes 20-30 minutes while driving.
Yes , the feature can be enabled with forscan to be able to do static regen's .

Old 05-14-2019, 06:12 PM
desmo21
Junior User
desmo21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RONMCHUGH View Post
Yes , the feature can be enabled with forscan to be able to do static regen's .
Static regen requires hood open and park brake set. RPM jumps to 2000. You definitely know when it is happening.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:18 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by desmo21 View Post
Static regen requires hood open and park brake set. RPM jumps to 2000. You definitely know when it is happening.
Brake is required good being open is not...it will proceed with hood closed

Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 PM
nuctrooper
Elder User
nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.nuctrooper has a good reputation on FTE.
Why are we even talking about static regen? There is NO need to do a static regen for 95% of owners. It is plain foolish to sit and do a static regen unless you are in a service truck that idles a lot but doesnít travel far or you absolutely canít drive it to regen. Downright irresponsible if you simply choose to do one with <95% DPF load.

Back to the OP question - no appreciable heat transferred to the bed. You may catch a slight smell if you stop and park the truck while a regen in is progress. If there is absolutely no breeze and you stop and park while a regen is in progress you may be able to feel the slightest warming of the bed, but nothing to be concerned about. Iíve loaded tools and such after stopping during a regen and didnít notice any heat (just the smell).

What is this ďwretched regenĒ thing anyway? Itís just a thing. It doesnít even matter to anyone but those that worry about it. The truck does it all on its own and will do so for hundreds of thousands of miles. (Yes, I monitor every one of mine, but I donít worry about any of them). Just drive it.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:33 AM
CBEllis
Senior User
CBEllis is starting off with a positive reputation.
The floorboards inside the cab get noticeably warmer on the pass. side when a regen takes place, even with the air-flow. With less insulation in the bed and live animals (not tools) back there, this is a legit question. Iíve never climbed in the bed to check but, I will now. Never thought of it.

Its only 1300 degrees radiating under the cab...

Old 05-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Rjpoog1989
New User
Rjpoog1989 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is something Iíve never thought of, but itís one more reason Iíll be buying a gasser. My dogs go everywhere with me and always in the bed. Seems like itís usually raining here and I canít open the cap windows the whole way as I would like for ventilation.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 PM
lariatbob
Senior User
lariatbob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by alabamatoy View Post
2019 F250 shortbed with a Leer shell. My dogs ride back there (2 big buggars, totaling about 160-170 lbs). Am I going to be putting them at risk when the wretched regen function happens? How hot does the floor of the bed get?
My only feedback would be that I have a Bedrug installed which has expanded foam against the bed. Top that with a vinyl tonneau cover.
I have had the bedrug out and have seen no signs of heat problems. Not that this would relate to an animal's health but it doesn't seem to get too hot.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:13 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
If it's really that much of a concern, put some insulating material on the underside of the bed. I've used sheets from Heatshield Products with good results. On one vehicle the headers were going to cook the brake line. With the Heatshield Products insulation the brake line stayed nice a cool.

Consider something like this: https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/hp-sticky-shield

You could also wrap the exhaust. They make wraps too. I put a wrap on the muffler of my side-by-side to prevent heat from coming into the cab.

There are enough ways for air to get into the bed that I doubt that the heat would be a problem. I haven't given it a second thought. I've put propane tanks and coolers in the bed right above where the exhaust is.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:12 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.
You guys are missing the point, if the ambient air in the bed gets to 200 degrees that's not going to effect your tools or equipment in the bed. But it would be pretty rough on a live animal

Old 05-16-2019, 06:18 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
I don't think the temperature would come anywhere close to that. For the ambient temperature to get to 200į F the bed would have to be a lot hotter than that. It would have cooked off the paint, let alone my cooler.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ian123 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I don't think the temperature would come anywhere close to that. For the ambient temperature to get to 200į F the bed would have to be a lot hotter than that. It would have cooked off the paint, let alone my cooler.

Well I guess it depends where you think the heat would come from.

Are we talking about the radiant heat from the exhaust piping that would heat the floor of the bed? That would probably only heat the underside of the floor and not make it up through the bedliner. Or are we saying the heat from the back of the exhaust blowing back towards the bed if the wind is going the wrong direction?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.