1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Opinions please: Entering first local show?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:26 AM
daveinva
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions please: Entering first local show?

Hi Everyone:

Just looking for some opinions...I've been working on restoring my 74 F100 for about a year. Engine and engine bay are pretty much done, interior is 95% done. Exterior looks good from a distance, but still needs work, mainly in/on bed. Cab itself looks sharp, but I had to replace passenger door and I used rattle cans to paint it, But, it actually looks fairly good to the untrained eye and matches existing paint pretty close. There's rust in the bed, but has a bed liner covering it up. You can see some rust on the bed where it butts up against the cab if you look carefully, and there's a small dent in the lower panel right behind the passenger door. It's essentially a daily-driver, but I do get lots of compliments and turned heads with it.

There's a local show coming up this weekend sponsored by local Sheriff's association. It's not a big event, but there will be some nice vehicles there for sure. I'm just wondering if it makes sense to show it at this juncture or should I wait until the exterior is done and repainted, which will be a while? I'm not thinking at all that it would win any contest at this point. My daughter and I have been doing the work and I'd like to experience going to this event with her.

However, I want to avoid any embarrassment for proper protocol when it comes to entering a show (even a small local one). I don't (at this point) really know anyone in the area that's into this stuff. That's also one reason I'd like to go. There is a local cruise-in they do once a month, but this last one was cancelled due to weather. I was hoping to go to that first and talk with some of the locals and have them give me an opinion on the truck. But, there's nothing else before the show this weekend.

Anyway, feedback on this would definitely be appreciated. Here's some current pics:

Old 05-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Mark8man
Laughing Gas
Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts
I'd show it. Yes there will ALWAYS be snobs who might turn their nose up at a vehicle in a show has some areas needing attention but most will admire it for what it is and understand these vehicles are a work in progress.
Maybe your truck has some flaws to you, but one thing you can do is make sure its detailed and clean inside, out, and underneath where practical.
I've had vehicles in national shows even concourse level and I've also had nice driver quality cars I took to shows and honestly, I'll take the latter any day. Driving and enjoying is best part. Sure winning some award at a show is nice for your efforts but I never go with the intent that I must or should win something as that just sets you up for disappointment. Unfortunately a reality with shows is there can be favoritism in the judging and best vehicle may not always win anyway.

You have a respectable looking truck so just go and enjoy the camaraderie of the show and get that Dentside out there in the public eye. I'm sure you will find folks who love the truck.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:43 AM
daveinva
Senior User
Wow, Mark8man. Thanks for the nice reply and positive encouragement...

Old 05-14-2019, 09:46 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
The best way to enjoy a car show is to go, not intending or caring if you win anything. It's to meet people who enjoy vehicles and talk about them. You will learn from others and have the opportunity to see what others have done to their vehicles...new ideas and information. Don't worry about comparing "apples to oranges". Think of it as a social event...not a competition.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 AM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by resonateur
The best way to enjoy a car show is to go, not intending or caring if you win anything. It's to meet people who enjoy vehicles and talk about them. You will learn from others and have the opportunity to see what others have done to their vehicles...new ideas and information. Don't worry about comparing "apples to oranges". Think of it as a social event...not a competition.
X2 on this.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:20 AM
daveinva
Senior User
Appreciate all the great replies.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:22 AM
78Hayride
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, go. We go often to shows and cruise-ins around here. We usually only pay to enter benefit shows for puppies, boobies or veterans. If I enter, Hayride usually brings a trophy home. Not because it's a show truck. Because there is no competition in the classed shows. Especially if it's an all Ford show. We're usually in stock / unmodified, 1970-1980. truck. Most of time there's some square body Chevys beside us, but we know you can't keep an unmodified Chevy running so there is very few in our class. Yeah we get the judges (show and knuckhead passerby's) who point out I need to paint or linex my bed. Hey I use the thing for HD/Lowes runs. Or tell me I need to ditch the original 2v and fuel inject it. But, I've got two late model fuel injected computer controlled, tech laden vehicles home in the garage. But, then there is those folks that will congregate around Hayride reminiscing about Pop's or Grandpas truck like this. And the trailer queen, 6 figure cars around me bring little or no interest.
We have a good time just getting near people with similar interest and talk "back whens". Until the Florida heat kicks in and we head for the air conditioning.

Last edited by 78Hayride; 05-14-2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 05-14-2019, 10:29 AM
daveinva
Senior User
Love it Hayride! Yeah, I get quite a few gents (and some dames) that will pull along side me or stop me in a parking lot and tell me about their grand-dad's truck that was just like it. At first I swell with a bit of pride until I realize that I was also driving these vehicles when their granddaddy's were and I remember how much my joints ache. Lol!

Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 AM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
I would definitely have to agree with Hayride, there is just something about a older truck that just draws the crowd. Even when I go to the local shows you can have a beautifully done up Mustang or Chevelle, but for some reason people are just drawn to the truck, no matter the condition its in. I guess people just expect to see a nice Mustang or Chevelle.... Not as many older trucks that survived the beatings they were given. I could not tell you the hours of conversation started just because I have a couple of Mid 70's F150's. So make sure you bring some bottled water to keep from getting a soar throat.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
X 100 on go and enter or do not enter and just go to go, and take the daughter to make a day of it. Enter it and pop that hood, that shows hard work and the fact you and your daughter did it together. That's a 100% winner right there. If any of them high and might fancy car folks turn a nose to your truck. Ask them if they did all that work with a family member. And it was my DAUGHTER to boot. BAM!

IMO a car show is a time for any and all vehicle enthusiasts to show their opinion, ability or vision of what they see in a vehicle. And meet and great, hang out, talk shop ect... throw in a hot dog or cheese burger and you have the good ol American way. Drive it in, and back it in line with pride YOU and HER did all that together.

I have taken my not so fancy 77 and 78 trucks, even took my 71 Bronco with a fresh coat of mud to the Off Road Jamboree, and entered it! Took one Bronco without a body, key is to have fun.

Remember to pop out your dome light, light bulb if you leave the doors open.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:40 AM
vtpkrat2
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Bring your truck and enjoy the time spent there! You will be surprised on how many folks comment on your truck! In the show pics I would instantly head for the muddy Bronco and the multi-colored, different paneled truck to check out first !! Have fun !