Notices

Rubber vs. Cork Gasket

Old 05-13-2019, 06:31 PM
evan_nugget
Elder User
evan_nugget is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.evan_nugget is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Rubber vs. Cork Gasket

My pushrod cover gasket has developed a pretty good leak. At first I thought hey, free rust prevention for the block and transmission but now its to the point where I'm losing a quart every couple hundred miles. I see that Rock Auto offers two types: an "old style" rubber gasket and an "updated style" cork gasket.

Anyone have any opinions on which to choose? They're like $5 difference so money is not an issue. Also, I have a fairly good idea of how to go about changing the gasket but any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:17 PM
The Frenchtown Flyer
Posting Guru
The Frenchtown Flyer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I prefer the cork style. They seal better for me. After a while the rubber ones seem to get hard. But the cork ones will not endure several removals and re-installs.
I like to clean the surfaces of head and cover and then smear a very thin film of adhesive sealant on the head to keep it in place. Re torque after use but do not over torque.
Be sure the sealing surface is flat around the bolt holes by inverting the cover and tapping the metal flat while holding the cover on a long socket or piece of tubing held snug against each hole.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:40 AM
HoustonDave
Posting Guru
HoustonDave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HoustonDave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Biggest thing I have learned on gaskets is to let the gasket sealer fully set before installation no matter how flat and nice the two surfaces are to be gasketed. Otherwise the gasket can roll or shift during installation and you have to do the whole thing over. Seems to promote a leak-free installation like that.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 AM
evan_nugget
Elder User
evan_nugget is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.evan_nugget is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by The Frenchtown Flyer View Post
I prefer the cork style. They seal better for me. After a while the rubber ones seem to get hard. But the cork ones will not endure several removals and re-installs.
I like to clean the surfaces of head and cover and then smear a very thin film of adhesive sealant on the head to keep it in place. Re torque after use but do not over torque.
Be sure the sealing surface is flat around the bolt holes by inverting the cover and tapping the metal flat while holding the cover on a long socket or piece of tubing held snug against each hole.
Originally Posted by HoustonDave View Post
Biggest thing I have learned on gaskets is to let the gasket sealer fully set before installation no matter how flat and nice the two surfaces are to be gasketed. Otherwise the gasket can roll or shift during installation and you have to do the whole thing over. Seems to promote a leak-free installation like that.

Thanks FTF and Dave. I guess I'll go with cork then, I only want to do the job once anyhow. I'll pick up some adhesive sealant and follow Dave's advice to let it fully set before re-installation. Thanks guys.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:35 PM
John89
Senior User
John89 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I personally like the Fel-Pro rubber gaskets. I did mine about a year ago. Used some adhesive to hold it in place, let it cure, then installed. The hardest part was getting the bolts started. Had to use a box wrench to turn and a socket extension to mash the bolts to get some threads started. Was a two person job.

Before Original pushrod gaskets. Leaky.

After

Old 05-30-2019, 08:57 AM
The_Scatch
Senior User
The_Scatch is starting off with a positive reputation.
A cork rubber hybrid gives the beat of both world's without the draw backs.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:07 PM
evan_nugget
Elder User
Just a follow up: got the cork from Rock Auto since it was apparently a "new and improved design". Stuck it in with a little bit of adhesive. Got the bolts tightened down, and the leak is gone!

For the record my back bolt on the cover was so loose I'm surprised it didn't rattle out!!! Why it was like that I'll never know. It was definitely a job threading that cover in behind the PS/AC compressor bracket.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:33 AM
The_Scatch
Senior User
The_Scatch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by evan_nugget View Post
Just a follow up: got the cork from Rock Auto since it was apparently a "new and improved design". Stuck it in with a little bit of adhesive. Got the bolts tightened down, and the leak is gone!

For the record my back bolt on the cover was so loose I'm surprised it didn't rattle out!!! Why it was like that I'll never know. It was definitely a job threading that cover in behind the PS/AC compressor bracket.
Cork compresses over time and does not recover. This then makes the bolts loose. Rubber ones don't do this but can deform, harden and weep. Cork seals very well a lot of new gaskets are cork/rubber hybrids so you get the benefits of both and none of the cons.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.