1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Remove broken exhaust manifold bolts with engine in truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:44 PM
Knockonwood
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remove broken exhaust manifold bolts with engine in truck

Has anyone had experience removing or drilling out and rethreading broken exhaust manifold bolts without removing the heads?

I am installing headers on my 62 F100 with 292 yblock. A couple bolts are already broken and when I take off the manifold I'll probably break more. Just want to know the easiest process for a person with basic tools. And basic work space. That is, I dont have a machine shop or engine lift. I was thinking i could get a 90° Drill adapter and drill out the bolts and rethread.
How hard is this going to be with heads on the engine in the truck? Are there any precautions I should take? Drill depth? Covering manifold openings etc?

Old 05-13-2019, 05:20 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Before breaking any more bolts use heat, penetrating lubricant, heat, penetrating lubricant....etc. over and over. Let it set a few days before torqueing any more bolts off. If the bolts broke flush with the exhaust port, you will have to drill them and use an easy (not easy!) out. Otherwise drill them in the dead center with a small drill and step up one size at a time until you can burn the threads out or re-tap. Remember heat beats muscle on these. If any metal extends out past the exhaust port, you can weld a nut onto the stub. The heat will help loosen the stud and you will have something to put a wrench onto.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:45 PM
Knockonwood
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by resonateur
Before breaking any more bolts use heat, penetrating lubricant, heat, penetrating lubricant....etc. over and over. Let it set a few days before torqueing any more bolts off. If the bolts broke flush with the exhaust port, you will have to drill them and use an easy (not easy!) out. Otherwise drill them in the dead center with a small drill and step up one size at a time until you can burn the threads out or re-tap. Remember heat beats muscle on these. If any metal extends out past the exhaust port, you can weld a nut onto the stub. The heat will help loosen the stud and you will have something to put a wrench onto.
Resonateur,
I'm going to do my best not to break any bolts. When I got the truck there were missing bolts from the manifold. I might get lucky if those bolts are just missing, but I'm preparing for the worst case scenario here.
I have a propane torch, should I use that or just crank it and let it heat up on it's own?

Old 05-13-2019, 05:51 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I haven't had to try it thankfully, but I just read this the other day and bookmarked it, I thought it had some good tips. I found it rooting around on a mostly electrical related website about setting up alternator charging systems. Need left hand drill bits, and a good quality (torque) variable speed reversible drill.

Removing Broken Bolts

Old 05-13-2019, 05:58 PM
Knockonwood
Cross-Country
Tedster,
GREAT ARTICLE! Thanks

Old 05-13-2019, 06:20 PM
cosmofennema
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You are kidding yourself if you think you can get those bolts drilled out accurately without head removal.
That said, I have had extremely good luck welding on a nut to the broken bit, then just turning it out. The heat of welding breaks the bond of rust.
I have not tried, though I know people who have done it, but you can also torch out the bolt without damaging the head, because cast iron has a higher melting point than the bolts.
This you might be able to do in situ.

Please do this correctly, because Y-block heads are getting hard to find.

Cosmo

Old 05-13-2019, 07:48 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Propane may not develop enough heat on those heads. For some reason, I was picturing the FE head but after reading Cosmo’s comments and realizing it’s a Y block, he has a point. Those will be more difficult. I would doubt that a 90 degree drill adapter would be very efficient or accurate. Its a difficult job, even on the bench.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Knockonwood
Cross-Country
Miracle!

Cosmo can sleep well tonight because I didn't break any bolts! And the real miracle was that of the 3 missing bolts only 1 of them was broken in the head. Not ideal but for now I'm going to leave it alone. It's in the middle location, so beat case scenario for a broken bolt.
I have been putting this Blaster to those bolts for days and they turned so easy it was freaky.
Just a word about the headers- they didn't fit. If anyone is thinking about buying the Patriot headers that supposed fit the y block F100, don't. It needed to be about 3/4 to 1 inch lower to clear the crossmember.

Last edited by Knockonwood; 05-16-2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-17-2019, 01:37 PM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Did you tweak them or send the back?
I used a set of ancient NOS "1957 Ford Car aftermarket tube headers" on my '63. These were not long tubes. They actually run parallel to the head and are a single tube design. They turn down in front of the firewall. They fit perfectly and posed no problem for the muffler shop.
I do believe Red's still makes this design.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Knockonwood
Cross-Country
Headers

Originally Posted by F-ONE
Did you tweak them or send the back?
I used a set of ancient NOS "1957 Ford Car aftermarket tube headers" on my '63. These were not long tubes. They actually run parallel to the head and are a single tube design. They turn down in front of the firewall. They fit perfectly and posed no problem for the muffler shop.
I do believe Red's still makes this design.
F-ONE,
I "tweaked" them with a propane torch and 2 lb hammer. I looked at Red's Headers. I actually wanted those, but decided to go with Patriot because they were 3" collectors and Red's were only 2.5". I'm bolting on a set of turned down glass packs directly to the headers and needed 3". In retrospect, I should have just gone with Red's and took my truck to a muffler shop.