Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

2001 F350 Front End Parts

Old 05-13-2019, 02:58 PM
ESV
New User
ESV is starting off with a positive reputation.
2001 F350 Front End Parts

Hello all. I purchased a 2001 F350 7.3l with 150k on it a few weeks ago. The owner pointed out that it needed an alignment right away, and he wasn't wrong. Been searching on here and reading a lot and decided to go with XRF ball joints, tie rod ends and sleeves. I was thinking of also having a new steering stabilizer, and probably shocks since an alignment will be necessary as well as two new front tires (rear are already new).

Is there anything else you all would recommend I have replaced while they are in there doing work that would affect the alignment?

Thank you in advance. The wealth of knowledge on here is sometimes overwhelming but is greatly appreciated. Here's a pic of my truck for your time.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:57 PM
One Sock
Senior User
One Sock is starting off with a positive reputation.
Inspect the leaf springs (all four corners) and replace if needed before doing the alignment.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 PM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Axle seals and U-joints going to be replaced?

Sharp truck and welcome to

Old 05-14-2019, 12:30 AM
ESV
New User
Originally Posted by One Sock View Post
Inspect the leaf springs (all four corners) and replace if needed before doing the alignment.
Copy that.

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
Axle seals and U-joints going to be replaced?

Sharp truck and welcome to
I personally think that is a good idea if it's going to be all apart. Is there a brand you recommend I purchase for the project?

Thank you. I like it a lot.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 AM
FractureCritical
Senior User
FractureCritical is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ESV View Post
Hello all. I purchased a 2001 F350 7.3l with 150k on it a few weeks ago. The owner pointed out that it needed an alignment right away, and he wasn't wrong. Been searching on here and reading a lot and decided to go with XRF ball joints, tie rod ends and sleeves. I was thinking of also having a new steering stabilizer, and probably shocks since an alignment will be necessary as well as two new front tires (rear are already new).

Is there anything else you all would recommend I have replaced while they are in there doing work that would affect the alignment?

Thank you in advance. The wealth of knowledge on here is sometimes overwhelming but is greatly appreciated. Here's a pic of my truck for your time.

Add in the u-joints, dust seals on the axle housing, and shaft/vacuum seals on the outer axle shafts. Also inspect the outer shaft needle bearing surfaces for scoring or galling, and replace the needle bearings pressed into the back of the wheel unit bearings. All cheap stuff thatís a pain to get to later.

grease those needle bearings well (the shop manual is silent on this) and use the correct tool to seat the seals on the outer axle and to set the shaft in the knuckle. That was a nasty lesson for me in not being cheap.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:58 AM
geekwithoutacause
Elder User
geekwithoutacause is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, use the OTC tool to install the seals. Not sure where you are located, I no longer need mine.
LEave the steering stabilizer off until everything else is good. It just camouflages other issues.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Brother Les
Posting Guru
Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Originally Posted by ESV View Post

Come to the '99-'03 7.3 thread.... we will help you spend your money.....

Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 AM
Djosbun
Elder User
Djosbun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thatís a good looking truck. Love the blue......very sharp color.

Congrats!

ó Dave

Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 AM
ESV
New User
Originally Posted by Djosbun View Post
That’s a good looking truck. Love the blue......very sharp color.

Congrats!

— Dave
Thank you. Took me a while to find one I liked in blue!

Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Come to the '99-'03 7.3 thread.... we will help you spend your money.....
I know that is the truth! LOL! Lots of ideas on this site, good and bad.

Originally Posted by geekwithoutacause View Post
Yeah, use the OTC tool to install the seals. Not sure where you are located, I no longer need mine.
LEave the steering stabilizer off until everything else is good. It just camouflages other issues.
Copy that. I'm having a trusted shop do the work.

Originally Posted by FractureCritical View Post
Add in the u-joints, dust seals on the axle housing, and shaft/vacuum seals on the outer axle shafts. Also inspect the outer shaft needle bearing surfaces for scoring or galling, and replace the needle bearings pressed into the back of the wheel unit bearings. All cheap stuff that’s a pain to get to later.

grease those needle bearings well (the shop manual is silent on this) and use the correct tool to seat the seals on the outer axle and to set the shaft in the knuckle. That was a nasty lesson for me in not being cheap.
I will mention the needle bearings to the shop. Is there a brand you recommend for the U joints and other parts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.