Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Still overheating when towing 5th wheel

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 05-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Porter143
New User
Porter143 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Man I can use some help, I have replaced everything on my cooling system new radiator, temp sensor, thermostats, fan clutch and relay. BUT I still over heat when towing my 5th wheel...can pull trailer with 2 4wheelers now prob..drives normal day to day driving...what have I missed?.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:27 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
The oil cooler

are you running stock tunes or pass corvettes while towing up hill tunes?

the 6.4 is a very capable engine if you do not melt the pistons.

you can spend 700 bucks on a methonal injection system and run windshield washer fluid thru the engine while towing to keep it cool.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Fefanatic
Elder User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can you confirm overheating. What's the temp at the degas bottle? Did you replace temp sensor? FWIW, it seems like you have pretty well replaced everything that makes it cool so that's why I am asking about temp sensor.

Edit to add: What coolant are you using and what mix is it at?

Old 05-14-2019, 04:53 PM
Porter143
New User
50/50 motorcraft..that's the thing ..it never really overheats..just goes into limp mode...can be 15 miles..or 50..but it goes back to normal for a bit..then spikes and limp mode

Old 05-14-2019, 04:55 PM
Porter143
New User
Sorry..yes I replaced the temp sensor

Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
What indicates this is an overheating problem? Does your gauge say so?

What fuel are you running? I ran Premium Diesel because it was all that was available in 100's of miles towing my 30 Fifth wheel and I went into reduced power immediately. I limped along until the next #2 diesel station, filled up and all was good. Not enough lubrication value in it I suppose.

Are you running fuel conditioner. I recommend Motorcraft's summer which is the black cap. Works well.

Just curious.

If your gauge says it's hot, I would revisit thermostats. You shouldn't be where you are with that list, and those would be my first thought.

They can be bad right off the line new. Are they OEM therms ?

Denny

Denny

Old 05-14-2019, 06:30 PM
Fefanatic
Elder User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wonder if you have a air lock somewhere in the cooling system. If you can get your hands on a ir temp gun and go over the cooling components when it happens it may give you a better understanding of what's happening. Is it throwing any codes?

Old 05-14-2019, 06:51 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Good thought!

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i assume you've checked the fan connector and related wiring on top of the fan shroud?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: