Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1993 E250 Horn Not Working

Old 05-12-2019, 08:10 PM
FordMattVan
New User
FordMattVan is starting off with a positive reputation.
1993 E250 Horn Not Working

Hi, I have a 1993 Ford E250 with a horn that stopped working. It did work fine for a few months and stopped. I have tested the horn fuse and relay in the engine compartment. It does sound when jumpering pins 87 to 30. Another post I saw indicates that this is diagnostic of a fault in the circuit through the steering column.

Any suggestions? I was trying to find a part number for the clockspring for that year but couldn't find anything definitive. It's harder to identify parts down to the part number on these vans for some reason.

Thanks for any tips before I dig in more. My troubleshooting time is limited.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:34 PM
NICKSAN
Senior User
NICKSAN is starting off with a positive reputation.
With that age, most likely clockspring wire. Do you have cruise control and if so did it stop working also?

Should be able to search and find the part, It most likely will be an aftermarket item.

You can call your local ford dealer and they will give you the part number, Ive done that several times for my 94.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:36 PM
FordMattVan
New User
Yes - it is equipped with cruise control and it yes it did stop working also. It was working before.

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:00 AM
wirelessengineer
Elder User
wirelessengineer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Clockspring is your #1 suspect.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:50 PM
FordMattVan
New User
Thank you. This is getting funner. Apparently the clockspring is discontinued. Not having any luck finding an aftermarket replacement. It's Ford part F3uz14a664B . Are any newer ones compatible? Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:03 PM
FordMattVan
New User
Hi all, any suggestions on the clock spring replacement? Part above is hard to find but is it superseded? Anyone have any luck?

Old 05-18-2019, 02:47 PM
jeffreyclay
Senior User
jeffreyclay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Prepare yourself for "sticker shock". I did a quick google search "Ford F3uz14a664B" and they were coming back over $400! I ran into the same thing with my 94 but I was lucky enough to source the ribbon cable needed and replaced the ribbon myself. ($10 + s&h)

Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 PM
FordMattVan
New User
Thanks for the note, jeffreyclay . Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. It looks like your 94 would be the same as mine? Can you explain the process for replacing? Are there instructions online? I have now opened the clockspring. It's definitely open. But the way the parts are installed it looks futile to try to disassemble.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by jeffreyclay View Post
Prepare yourself for "sticker shock". I did a quick google search "Ford F3uz14a664B" and they were coming back over $400! I ran into the same thing with my 94 but I was lucky enough to source the ribbon cable needed and replaced the ribbon myself. ($10 + s&h)
That sort of info and/or "how to" would be invaluable here especially for the older E-Series where parts like a clockspring are no longer available.

Hope to see a follow up on this.

Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
quickieR
Freshman User
quickieR is starting off with a positive reputation.
Try Ebay, I found clockspring for my 1993 E150 that came from a Ford dealer in New England about a year ago. $400 is about what I paid, my mechanic did install and it solved same problems you're having immediately.
Hope this helps.

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
FordMattVan
New User
With nothing to lose, I tried fixing it. So far it works.

Here's what I did:

- Disconnect to test wires. The black and airbag wires were definitely open.

- Knowing that these ribbons would most likely fail at the end, and seeing one end worse than the other, I snipped it, then performed some continuity testing along the wires. All good.

- Disassembled. The ribbon is covered with a type of grease - so keep in a clean place. An Amazon box is a great "clean area".

- See those rivets on both ends of the ribbon on the connectors? Drill 'em all out.

- You have to mark the orientation of the wires as there is a 90 degree bend in the ribbon. It's a "one time try" so make sure you know how it should be oriented before and after. Sharpie marks help.

- It's very difficult to strip the ribbon wire without a specific tool. I scored, then cut legthwise nips parallel to the wire, then carefully scratched away with a knife. Any suggestions here?

- Soldering was also difficult - 3rd hand helps.

- Performed continuity testing at every move to ensure nothing broke.

- Reassemble - the hard part is to get that ring back on that holds it in place. The "hack" is to use a dremel to cut the retaining ring on one side to allow it to flex. Then it goes on with some but much less difficulty.

- Partially reassemble and test.

- The clockspring itself says how to adjust - follow instructions.

Also - I was next going to buy the standard F150 part and then splice wires to match the Econoline. It looks like the common part Ford CSP117, also available through Dorman, would work (with splicing), but I would need to see the wiring. Can anyone confirm? That would be my next step. I just can't spend $300+ for a plastic container and ribbon wire.

So I will see how long it works. If it lasts - then it's a bonus. If it fails, then on to common part and splicing to get right connections. Take that, ebay highway robbers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.