Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New truck died on the road

Old 05-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Scottbaiowuld
New User
Scottbaiowuld is starting off with a positive reputation.
New truck died on the road

Got the following error messages while driving my 2018 F-150 XL (just bought it on Thursday and it has less than 500 miles on it now): “parking brake limited funct service req’d” “hill assist not available” “drive mode not available” “service advancetrac” and the engine shut off. I put on my flashers and took the key out and it would not start back up. After waiting a few minutes it started up again and I made it to my parents’ house a few miles away. After turning it off for a few minutes I tried starting it back up and it gave me the same messages and would not start. Turned it off again and it started and I made it to my house about 5 miles away. I’m obviously going to take it to a dealer tomorrow morning, but I’m wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if anyone could shed any light on this for me.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Scottbaiowuld
New User
Should have added that this is a 5.0

Old 05-12-2019, 06:19 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to beholdJKBrad is a splendid one to behold
Make sure the harness at the emergency brake is plugged in all the way. Your’s probably has the switch rather than the pedal.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Scottbaiowuld
New User
Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
Make sure the harness at the emergency brake is plugged in all the way. Your’s probably has the switch rather than the pedal.
Yes it has the electronic parking brake. I jostled all the connectors under the dashboard where the parking break button is and they were all tight.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:28 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
All those point to a low power at the SJB and BCM. This can be caused by a bad battery that the BMS won't charge. There should be at least 7 stored codes in the modules. Hopefully the dealer can pull them and fix this. Being a 18 it may be a early build that had one of the defective AGM batteries ( Built up until March 17th 2018).

Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Scottbaiowuld
New User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
All those point to a low power at the SJB and BCM. This can be caused by a bad battery that the BMS won't charge. There should be at least 7 stored codes in the modules. Hopefully the dealer can pull them and fix this. Being a 18 it may be a early build that had one of the defective AGM batteries ( Built up until March 17th 2018).
Thanks for the info! I checked the VIN plate and it was built in July of 2018. I really hope it’s something as easy as a bad battery.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:39 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
msgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to all
My last 2 trucks had a weak battery. Ford has put the smallest, and cheapest battery in these trucks. Especially the 5.0.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 PM
Scottbaiowuld
New User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
It turned out to be a bad PCM relay that was shutting off the PCM bc it was breaking connection with basically every sensor and that’s what apparently made the truck die on me. The service manager said it had about a dozen codes in it aside from the ones I got pictures of. The truck died on the tech too when they pulled it into the bay. They replaced the relay, reflashed the PCM, let it idle in the bay for a long time, took it for a 25 mile test drive, and declared it fixed. Fingers crossed the problem doesn’t come back.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:33 AM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Unfortunately stuff like that can happen with new vehicles. Hopefully five years from now you’ll look back and be able to say that it’s been problem free except for that glitch at the beginning.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:52 AM
smokewagun
Posting Guru
smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.smokewagun has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by msgtord View Post
My last 2 trucks had a weak battery. Ford has put the smallest, and cheapest battery in these trucks. Especially the 5.0.
The 5.0L gets a different battery than the others?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:30 PM
onug
Donut Ninja
onug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to beholdonug is a splendid one to behold
It’s a good day when the issue is obvious to the Tech. Glad they could fix it so fast.

Welcome to the forum. And thanks for posting the fix on your thread. Having this kind of info (prob and solution) makes for great reference data.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:50 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
msgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to all
Originally Posted by smokewagun View Post
The 5.0L gets a different battery than the others?
Yep, my 5.0 has a 610. The 3.5 and 2.7 require a higher cca. Up to a 800 cca.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: