Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

95 f150 having no acceleration after a short drive?

Old 05-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Risk
New User
Risk is starting off with a positive reputation.
95 f150 having no acceleration after a short drive?

Hello so I'm gonna try and explain this the best i can i recently did a lower intake replacement and also replaced the oil, coolant and trans fluid. Also tuned it to factory tune spec. Now that its all back together and idles good i been taking it for test drives around my neighbor hood and everything is all good for about the first 5 mins of driving. Then when i come to a complete stop a couple times it starts to have acceleration problems even when trying to get to high speeds. For example i will be at a full stop than start to press the gasand have the pedal about 75% down to the floor and its barley going 20mph than when i completely floor it it will take about 2 seconds for it to actually take off instead of just crawling its way up to speed. Would this be a transmission problem is it slipping or something else? I'm not to sure still kinda of learning as i go.

The truck has a 5.8l 351w and a 4speed automatic transmission.

Thanks!

5/21/2019 Update: I fixed the problem it turns out the battery was just garbage and i replaced it now it shifts all good again! I'm just updating just in case anyone else might have this problem. So again all i did was replace the battery haha.

Last edited by Risk; 05-21-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Update!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Edgethis
Postmaster
Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
Have you double checked the fluid levels? Trans needs to be checked when warm for best results. Does the engine respond when you press the gas, that'll help determine engine or trans issue.

Is it showing any codes?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Risk
New User
Edgethis Yes i have double checked the levels all is good i also did the trans fluid while the engine was on it all good on dipstick. Yea the engine responds just like normal when i step on the gas like it wants to go faster but doesn't move till i almost completely floor the pedal till its get to around 25 to 30 mph than it grabs a gear and goes other than that it just really slowly creeps its way up to speed. And no codes are showing up. But it doesn't feel like the trans is slipping its just once it gets above 25 to 30 mph after slowly getting there it finally grabs and takes off. Also the first 5 to 8 mins of driving its totally fine everything works just good but than after that is when the issue starts to occur.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Edgethis
Postmaster
Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
Its been a few years since I had a truck with the E4OD, does the O/D light (on shifter handle) flash at all? I know they can have some issues. I believe there is a way to read the flashes, have to check.

Could be going into OD once the fluid warms up which could cause the "lag" issue, once you hit 25-30 you hit the powerband it takes off. It'd be like shifting from 1st into 4th and just powering through it.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:17 PM
Risk
New User
Oh OK ill go check on that i know the O/D button is missing a piece from the top of it so that might be it as it might be on and i just don't know about but ill check on it when i get home.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Risk
New User
Edgethis I checked when it was just sitting in idle and i was able to turn it on and off and the light works. Should i check and see if it flashes when I'm driving? And if so should i have it turned on or off? sorry for all the questions.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:12 PM
Edgethis
Postmaster
You should have it off when driving normally. I would check and see if it starts flashing when the truck has issues driving. There is a special list of codes that the OD light gives you. I think certain scanners can read them, but unfortunately not the ones at autozone and the like.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:22 PM
Risk
New User
Edgethis Hey i just found out that the transmission is not a E40D its a 4R70W the truck had a 5.8l swap. Just more info maybe to help figure it out. And ill try that and see what it does when the issue happens.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Edgethis
Postmaster
Hmm, I wasn't aware they put the 4R70W in these trucks. If that is the case and it is indeed a 4R70W you may have better luck asking in the 97-03 Forum. That was a more common transmission in that body style, and it does seem to be a transmission issue.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:31 PM
timbersteel
Postmaster
timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.
The 4R70W was used extensively on '94 and up MAF equipped trucks. Its just the upgrade from the weak AOD Ford put behind the 5.0 engines. It just wasn't as strong as it's older, bigger brother, the E4OD.

Pull codes and see if there is anything showing.

Be absolutely sure transmission fluid is in the hashmarks on the stick when engine is at operating temp. If the transmission fluid is low, it will circulate more air than fluid. Check the fluid while it's hot, and go through each gear, waiting about 5 seconds or so till you reach Park.

When you changed the fluid, did you manage to remove the rubber o-ring from the valve body or ensure that it wasn't stuck in the valve body? It should have looked Orange and it would have a new one with the included filter.

Do you notice lots of bubbles on the stick?

Old 05-13-2019, 09:54 PM
Risk
New User
Edgethis Oh OK I'll be sure to post there as well thanks!

Old 05-13-2019, 10:02 PM
Risk
New User
timbersteel Hey ill be able to try and pull some codes by Wednesday. Early today I got the truck to operating temp and the fluid was indeed by the hashmarks on the dipstick i also did what you said i shifted thru the gears from 1st all the way to P they all seem to work good. Also yes the o ring has been changed as well as the filter and when i was looking at the dipstick while it was at operating temp it was at the hashmarks but there was tiny little bubbles not a lot but around 3 to 5 of them 2 of them right at the beginning and sometimes 2 to 3 towards the end of the dipstick.
Also one more thing i was test driving today was well and it did fine for the first 8 mins or so shifted fine than it started getting issues again so I wanted to try and come to a complete stop and shifted into 1st gear which i did than back into Drive it fixed itself for about 5 mins again shifted all good than the issue came back but it was not as bad as it was before still had to put about half of the gas pedal down to the floor to go around 20 to 25mph instead of almost touching the floor when it first happens.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:32 PM
Risk
New User
timbersteel do you think it could be its not downshifting or there could be a clog in the fluid or maybe and electrical problem like a sensor or something?

Old 05-13-2019, 11:48 PM
timbersteel
Postmaster
timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.timbersteel has a good reputation on FTE.
There are actually 2 sensor inputs for the 4R70W transmission. One is the OSS. It is located on the driver of the transmission near about the end of the transmission.

The other is the VSS. It is located on the rear axle. But usually when it fails, there is a CEL or Flashing OD light associated with it. In fact, they rarely fail. Instead, gunk builds up on the sensor inside the rear differential, and that causes the biggest headaches, along with Non-OE VSS, that has problems as well.

I would be inclined to check the pigtail of the harness for the OSS and the pins for the OSS sensor itself. This should set a code, but unsure as I have never had it set one on my '95, Ext. Cab, 4wd, Eddie Bauer, w/4R70W transmission.
I did pull it once and cleaned it and the harness. Someone already broke the sensor connector, but it seems to work fine. Just be careful when trying to pry the pigtail from the sensor. Don't dig a hole that may lead into a rabbit hole that gets bigger by damaging anything.

If you can, try pulling codes for free with a paperclip.
Just Do a search for it.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:16 PM
Risk
New User
timbersteel Hello ok so i was able to pull some codes here's what i got.
Ignition On Engine off Code: 334 - EGR closed valve high voltage
Ignition on Engine On Codes: (632 - Overdrive Transmission Cancel Switch/ no action during self engine run test) (411- Cannot control Rpm during Test Low Rpm check), (538 - Invalid Cylinder balance test due to throttle movement), (536 - Brake On/off circuit not activated)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.