Notices

312 Oil filter adapter plate

Old 05-12-2019, 02:29 PM
Hoppy57
New User
Hoppy57 is starting off with a positive reputation.
312 Oil filter adapter plate

Last oil change oil filter adapter plate loosened when spin on oil filter was removed. Tightend back up but should something like lock tight be put on the bolt that connects to block to help hold it from loosening during filter change?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:01 PM
f5fordgirl
Elder User
f5fordgirl is starting off with a positive reputation.
The instructions with the adaptor I bought suggested that lock tight be used, and how tight are you turning the filter?

Old 05-12-2019, 08:50 PM
charliemccraney
Posting Guru
charliemccraney is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.charliemccraney is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The torque spec for that "bolt" is 20-25 ftlbs according to my '61 shop manual. That is far more than should be required to loosen the filter and it should not come loose when torqued correctly.
I don't recall the size of the nut but what you want to do with the socket you use is to use a belt sander to grind the inside chamfer off so that the socket engages more of the thin hex of the bolt, to avoid slipping off and rounding it.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:43 AM
Hoppy57
New User
Hoppy57 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oil filter adapter plate

Next go around I will check the torque on that bolt. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.