Notices

460 starting problem linked to shifting linkage????

Old 05-11-2019, 08:24 PM
JesseRayV
New User
JesseRayV is starting off with a positive reputation.
460 starting problem linked to shifting linkage????

Recently I ran into a problem of my truck not starting from park. My shifter is a bit sloppy on the column and have noticed that I have to push it firmly into park. The truck wont start from the ignition, but will start if I put the key in the start position and then spark the solenoid with a screw driver. I have read that it might be related to the Safety Neutral Switch which is located on the tranny (I believe). Any suggestions or troubleshooting anyone knows about that I can do? Truck runs amazing once it is started.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:21 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
Check the two Torx screws at the bottom of the steering column. Well known to come loose and cause your issue.

courtesy of Subford

Old 05-14-2019, 10:55 AM
mark a.
Post Fiend
mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by JesseRayV View Post
Recently I ran into a problem of my truck not starting from park. My shifter is a bit sloppy on the column and have noticed that I have to push it firmly into park. The truck wont start from the ignition, but will start if I put the key in the start position and then spark the solenoid with a screw driver. I have read that it might be related to the Safety Neutral Switch which is located on the tranny (I believe). Any suggestions or troubleshooting anyone knows about that I can do? Truck runs amazing once it is started.
It depends on the year of your truck ? It could be on the trans but it could be inside the cab too.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 PM
JesseRayV
New User
JesseRayV is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 1996 F250. I haven’t yet looked at the column. But I will check that soon. I replaced the safety neutral switch and seen that there was some adjustment on the linkage that I am going to adjust. I can tell that the position of the safety neutral switch is very important and that has a lot to do with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.