1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

FoMoCo Special Steering Gear Lurbicant

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Mearntain
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FoMoCo Special Steering Gear Lurbicant

What is the modern day equivalent of FoMoCo Special Steering Gear Lubricant? I've tried searching but have had no luck when looking online, I must be looking in the wrong places.

My box on the 64 F100 is leaking pretty good, even with me barely turning the wheel to move the truck in the garage slightly (left a 6 inch diameter spot on the ground by the time I noticed it), so I feel I have no choice to pull it and replace some seals. I know some people said use gear oil, other say absolutely not, so I'm at a loss at what to use. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:23 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
I believe it is still available under the Motorcraft brand, XG1C, was formerly C3AZ-19578-A. Comes in a tube, like caulking. NumberDummy will notice this and give better info, as it has been brought up in the past. It is not a 80 w. or 90 w. gear oil, as some believe. Gear oils will leak right out of dried up old seals.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:40 PM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I use a premium brand NLGI #2 grease in my '65 steering box. Straight out of my grease gun and into the box.......

BarnieTrk

Old 05-11-2019, 11:33 PM
third66go
Mountain Pass
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Try John Deere Corn Head Grease, a NLGI #0 grease; flowable, but the oil in the grease won't separate and drip.
Other farm dealers have it under other names
Use grease gun without the Zerk coupler to squirt it in, soon the old oil will finish dribbling.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:55 AM
Mearntain
Elder User
Sounds good, maybe that's what my issue is then - just simply wrong lubricant in there. What is leaking out is 100% an oil, and not a grease, I'd put money on it being some 90w. Maybe I can get away with just draining it and refilling with the proper lubricant.

Any concerns I should have by doing that (and not changing seals) or possible damage from the gear oil for sitting in there for 30+ years while the truck sat idle in someones garage?

Old 05-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Mearntain
Elder User
On another note -- Unless I'm seeing things wrong, it appears XG-1-C was discontinued and replaced by XG-1-E, can anyone verify that would be correct?

Old 05-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Mearntain
Elder User

Was just out at the truck and went to pull, atleast what I thought were the drain plugs, but nothing came out. So either I didnt pull the proper bolts or maybe it is grease in there, and not oil as I suspected. I definitely have an "oily" drip though.

I was under the impression from another post I read, that I was supposed to remove both the bottom and top bolt, fill through the bottom until it oozes out the top bolt hole. Is that right? I removed both the bolts that I circled in red but nothing came out. I dont think the one to the right was needed to be removed, but figured I try to see if anything came out.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:05 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Stock lube in your box will be grease. Same similar consistency as wheel bearing grease (very viscous) or if it has been subject to heat it will be a nice back tar. Nothing will run out, not even upside down it needs to be disassembled and spooned out to clean.

Garbz

Old 05-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Mearntain
Elder User
You know, I'm starting to question now if the "oil" I've seen dripping was simply just brake fluid from the master cylinder. The day I noticed the original puddle, I did have a slight leak of at the line exiting the MC and was bleeding the brakes, but it wasnt much. I notice a drop below the line again tonight so I tightened it some more.

I'd still like to flush the gear box out with fresh grease in the event that it wasn't brake fluid that I was seeing. Do I understand right that I remove both the bottom bolt (one on the left in my picture) and the top bolt (cant be seen in my picture, but directly above the previously mentioned one) and use the bottom hole for filling until it comes out the top?

Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
No,

To flush the grease and put new in it needs to be completely dissembled. Those bolts (3) are there only to hold on the pre-load cover. There is a internal bushing and a pre-load assembly bolt that is part of the cover.

You can pump some grease in there but it will not force any of the old crap out. just lay on top for a bit until it gets homogenized with all the old grease.

Garbz

Old 05-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Mearntain
Elder User
Originally Posted by garbz2
No,

To flush the grease and put new in it needs to be completely dissembled. Those bolts (3) are there only to hold on the pre-load cover. There is a internal bushing and a pre-load assembly bolt that is part of the cover.

You can pump some grease in there but it will not force any of the old crap out. just lay on top for a bit until it gets homogenized with all the old grease.

Garbz
Perfect, thanks for the response and explanation. Sounds like I may just leave it as it is and see what happens - hopefully it was just brake fluid I was seeing. Worst case scenario, if I do have to dissassemble it and replace some seals, is the method that I mentioned the proper way to refill it with grease?

Old 05-13-2019, 02:10 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Needs to be taken apart cleaned and new grease put in. The old grease used is paraffin based and depending on how much heat it has seen will be caked in there. there is an upper internal seal on the steering shaft and no seal on the sector shaft

I just took apart 6 of these boxes trying to locate a good sector shaft.

Garbz

Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Tbb_'62 F100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just rebuilt my steering box, and there is a different spot where you can add grease. After looking at your picture, your box has a different bolt than mine did, but should be in the same spot circled in yellow.

It looks like a common screwdriver headed bolt?

Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
How many different styles of boxes are there?? On my 64 it's a 1/2" bolt head front and center, can't miss it.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:08 PM
Tbb_'62 F100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That yellow circled area should be close to front and center. My '62 also has the 1/2" bolt head.

Quick Reply: FoMoCo Special Steering Gear Lurbicant